PDA

View Full Version here: : ED100 Guidescope advice?

OuterObsession
08-07-2018, 03:13 PM
I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a guidescope setup for my ed100 to help with tracking.

I think the focal length of the guide scope should be roughly 1/3 the focal length of the imaging scope. I'm running a eq5 pro mount (w/ eqmod) atm so want to keep things light.

Thinking a shoe mounted guidescope might be a good route. The Orion Mini 50mm Guide Scope looks alright.

Is there any advantage to using a high fps guide camera?

Thoughts?

Imme
08-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Zwo guidescope is well built and light (620gr).....im very impressed with mine.

OuterObsession
08-07-2018, 05:58 PM
It shows the ZWO guidescope being around half the weight of the orion one. Pretty good if that's accurate.

How's the play in the focuser for the ZWO guide scope?

Anyone seen the new Sky-Watcher Evoguide 50ED guide scope? More money then I want to spend but looks interesting.

Imme
08-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Focus is helitical, rock solid and then once focus is reached you have 2x thumbscrews to lock it down. I replaced the plastic screws in the rings with metal Allen keys ones from the hardware store [$3] and it is rock solid as far as I’m concerned. Always finds multiple guide stars using my zwo 120 colour camera (the colour cam is less sensitive than the mono)
I’ve tried an OAG and prefer this scope over that.....I have one on each of my rigs, got rid of the OAG ages ago
Can’t recommend it highly enough in my opinion. :thumbsup:

OuterObsession
10-07-2018, 05:45 PM
I also noticed they have the ZWO 30F4 guidescope, any thoughts on that?

Wussell
11-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Last week I ordered the ZWO 60280 guidescope and the ZWO ASI 1.2MP Monochrome Astronomy CMOS Camera ASI120MM-S USB 3.0, just waiting for them both to arrive :)

Imme
11-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Think you'll be very happy with that setup.....I have the same (except color cam) and it works a treat. You'll have more stars to chose from with yours as the mono will be about 3 x times more sensitive.