PDA

View Full Version here: : Boost your night vision

Zubenel
04-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Saw this article on tele. I have not seen this subject discussed ! ( Please direct me to the spot if it has) There looks to be significant benefits in taking these supplements for our dark adaption :eyepop: as per experimental findings and I'm keen to try these out at this years QLD Astrofest!! . Namely lutein, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1f4vsRpHghwGWZcSvRN72xM/can-i-improve-my-eyesight

gaseous
04-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Interesting article Wes! Just gotta source the right supplements now ( the smoothie sounded awful). Pity they don't improve red perception.

Wavytone
05-07-2018, 12:00 AM
Wearing a patch over the eye you observe with for 30 mins before observing also has amazing results. And no potions or pills involved.

skysurfer
05-07-2018, 04:28 AM
That can be a good idea.
When I go to lighted indoors during an observing session. I close my observing eye and use only one eye (lacking 3D vision) to retain night vision.

Red goggles might be an option too.

Such pills are just like the 'blue diamond shaped pills' claiming to enhance your male device. But with side effects.

multiweb
05-07-2018, 06:26 AM
I don't know... I eat a lot of fish and spinach. My eyesight gets worse with age still. I don't even toot like popeye.

Zubenel
05-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Given the complexity of the human machine there is an ongoing curve of discovery as to how it works. For me it's not so much about the next supplement but understanding whats out there that will give me some advantage against Father time. Yep, I get organic foods and the advantages of what they bring , but in doing so the question is, do they bring a quantity of the correct compounds to make a difference. You pay good money because someone has done the research and produced a reliable product :thumbsup:

Wilso
05-07-2018, 07:58 PM
I think Claude from A.E.C recommended chowing down on blueberries.
They're ment to be good for your eyes! :google:
1/2 a cup a day acts as an antioxidant, improved night vision and other health benefits!

FI93
05-07-2018, 09:46 PM
If you get a set of red lazer safety goggles and wear them 30 minutes before going outside then your eyes are ready straight off, also put goggles on when going inside for a warming brew.
:D

mental4astro
06-07-2018, 06:48 AM
My regime is a simple one:

* Don't booze up
* Don't smoke
* Drop sugar and refined foods
* Eat well

Can't escape Father Time or genetics, only sloiw it down. Supplements are a false sense of security with questionable merits. Food is complex and the body works on these complex structures to extract nutrients. While "nutrient X" may help with vision, that alone won't be enough if you don't look after yourself, and those nutrients require others to work. Guzzle the booze and chomp on supplements just makes for expensive pee... no free lunch here. Pill chugging is a poor cheat.

Zubenel
07-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Some great discussion here. All of which I agree with and mostly practice . Your regime, Alex sound identicle to my own . 👍🏻

theodog
08-07-2018, 08:39 AM
I'd agree with Alex.

However, I would add;

- avoid computer screens after dark, or 1/2 hour before observing, and
- get out and use your eyes at night in dark skies.

Also practise using 'averted vision' at the eyepiece.:thumbsup:

glend
08-07-2018, 09:30 AM
As observed below, age impacts everyone's vision. It's fair to say every EAA observer and imager started out as a visual observer, and many moved to imaging to capture that detail that was increasingly lost over time. There is only so much supplements can do, ( I have been taking Macu-Vision Plus for the past five years with no apparent benefit) so I doubt they can wind back aging and environmental damage.
Of course Astrofest is a great place to try out all the remedies, just avoid all those folks offering you a Port.;)