PDA

View Full Version here: : Arltunga - Gold Mining Ghost Town

Mav
04-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Went out 2 weekends ago to Arltunga which is an old Gold Mining Ghost Town in the Eastern Macdonnell Ranges in the N.T.

It was a fantastic night for star gazing, no moon or light pollution of any kind just me in a ghost town by myself in the dead of night, it was just heaven. lol

These are a few of the images from the night. They are the old police station, the old police station cell block, an old battery crusher for crushing the ore and a old horizontal steam engine used to drive the stamper.

These were all single exposure images ranging from 15 to 25 secs. Some noise reduction and sharpening applied through PP. Camera body was a Sony A7Rii paired with a Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens.

leon
04-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Beautiful stuff, keep at it mate. ;)

Leon :thumbsup:

Allan_L
04-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Great Shots Mav.!
We just came back from a holiday to the East MacDonnell Ranges. :)
But only got as far as Ross River Resort, before the bitumen ran out.
Great area for dark skies. :thumbsup: Jealous!

Mav
04-07-2018, 04:38 PM
Thanks Leon, I do indeed intend to keep at it. :) Only thing that keeps me sane with my two kids wanting this and that. lol Nothing better that the solitude of the outback under dark skies and a fresh brewed cup of coffee on the cold nights of winter. :)

Mav
04-07-2018, 05:12 PM
I hope you enjoyed your holiday here, Allan? :) The fun here really begins where the tar seal stops. :)

We often camp out at Ross River Campgrounds I took this photo there last July. It is of our tent in the campground.

skysurfer
05-07-2018, 03:30 AM
Another similar location is Peak Hill, NSW, 50km north of Parkes.
We were there last February.

Not completely ghost, but you notice that economy is dwindling.
We were there not by night, but skies must be fantastic there.