PDA

View Full Version here: : Sticking Rubber to colorbond Beam

multiweb
01-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Post to the DIYers out there. I recently got my fencing done. I've packed the gaps under the frames and the croncrete with wood slippers bolted into the frame as best as I could and concreted the back to stop water and soil runout. Now I'm trying to make it look neat and I found this stuff in the gardening section at Costco. It looks good. It's made from recycled rubber and originally designed to be pegged into soil to make kerbs for garden beds, etc... It's quite heavy and very dense, like a tire. I could drill the concrete and cement the pegs into the slab but that's a sh|t load of holes over 8m. It's not structural, just cosmetic. Is there a bonding agent/glue you guys might know that would get rubber to adhere to colorbond? Or double sided tape? Any idea? TIA?

glend
01-07-2018, 04:48 PM
I am sure that a rubber cement, like that used to lay vinyl tiles, would work fine, just brushes on. However, that black rubber edging is likely to expand when it gets hot and may bulge away and look lumpy. I would try a simple timber decking timber layer as a border.

multiweb
01-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Good point. I'll have to make sure I provide some room for expansion joints. I'm trying to move away from timber. Gets wet, mouldy. messy. That's what I had before.

Wilso
01-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Good ol silicone will work fine.
Probably the best would be Sikaflex as is an adhesive as well!

multiweb
01-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Yeah you're right. I completely forgot about these. I used a lot of liquid nail during my house reno a decade ago doing the timber flooring. I think it was Bostik at the time. Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:
PS: maybe roof and gutter neutral silicon would work. This stuff is heat resistant and in a gutter everything goes.

Shiraz
01-07-2018, 07:59 PM
artificial lawn adhesive maybe? Just used some to fix a boat carpet and it worked really well - and of course it is waterproof.

taminga16
01-07-2018, 08:59 PM
MW, purchase some Landscape Liquid Nails and do the job on a mild day.
Greg.

xelasnave
02-07-2018, 01:35 AM
If you are going to stick anything to anything I suggest you clean surfaces with acetone.
Alex

JA
02-07-2018, 07:01 AM
Rubber to metal - use Liquid Nails or possibly better Laminex Glue

Apply to both surfaces and allow a short curing time of around 5 to 10 minutes and then bring the surfaces together and press hard with a hand roller or smooth timber press pad.

Best
JA

mozzie
02-07-2018, 07:57 AM
T-Rex adhesive in a silicone tube 4 dobs in a 100mm square spacing is 320kg breaking force..Amazing stuff use it all day in building works...
Stick 2 pavers together and you have to smash the pavers to get them apart
There is also a flexibility in it to give you movement with daily heat expansion
Mozzie

multiweb
02-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Thanks all for the tips.

Thanks Mozzie. Sounds like the ticket. Had a look on the Blackwoods site. Didn't realise it's part of the Selley's range. With a caulking gun, too easy. You reckon one or two cartdridges for 8m?

mozzie
02-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Hi Marc
Grab 2 mate there not that expensive..
What ever you don’t use leave in a cool area put a new noozle on again and you can still use...Mate this is amazing stuff only been out a few years
The way they can mix chemicals know to bond many different things is amazing it has changed the building game for the better..

Mozzie

Only down side how would you like to work in one of these factories mixing all those chemicals wouldn’t be very healthy for you 😩😂

AstralTraveller
02-07-2018, 09:59 AM
... while remembering that acetone is a (mild) carcinogen that can be absorbed through the skin or by inhaling the fumes.

floyd_2
02-07-2018, 03:04 PM
+1 on the Sika - probably 227 or above.

RB
03-07-2018, 11:07 AM
OP recieved his answer and requested thread closed.

RB