PDA

View Full Version here: : Starry Night Astrophoto Suite & Meade ETX-125 with Autostar problem

Lesley
25-01-2007, 10:34 PM
I recently bought Starry Night Astrophoto Suite to use with my Meade
ETX-125EC and Autostar #497. I am having problems getting the software
to recognise the telescope. I am slowly eliminating possible problems
and the next item would like to check is if there is a problem with my
Autostar #497 handbox computer or port.

The only way to test this is to attach another handbox and see if that
works. I was wondering if there is anyone in Perth, Western Australia
with an Autostar #497 handbox that I could please try before I buy a
new one (when it may not be the problem). I would bring my telescope
and computer to you and test it on the spot. I will also bring a 6
pack of your favourite beer (or softdrink for under 18's) for any inconvenience.

If anyone can possible help me please post here or email me at ldaniels@bigpond.net.au or call me on 0432 322 659.

Thank you very much.
Lesley
:help:

beren
25-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Hi Lesley have you downloaded the latest ASCOM drivers {platform 4.1 I think} here...... http://ascom-standards.org/downloads.html

Lesley
26-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Hi Beren
Yes I downloaded ASCOM Platform 4.1 when I installed Starry Night and I downloaded it again when I had the problem to make sure that was not the issue.
Thanks anyway.
Lesley

MikeyB
26-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Firstly, welcome to IIS, Lesley!

I'm in sunny Kewdale near Belmont Forum and reasonably familiar with Meade ETX scopes: I've got both the 60 and the 125!

I'll give you a call later today to arrange a time that we can get together over the long weekend with my ETX gear, to investigate and hopefully resolve your problem/s.

Michael

iceman
26-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Great offer of help, Mikey! Always nice to see IIS members helping each other out.

And :welcome: Lesley!

merlin8r
26-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi Lesley,
Guess who?? lol. One thing to remember, is that when you connect any new Autostar controller to your telescope, it will need to be reset, and possibly twice. Otherwise you will most likely get a "Motor Unit Fault". 497's do not like being swapped between scopes.

Clear skies,
Shane

Lesley
26-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks very much for your offer of help Michael. I look forward to your call. Also thanks for the welcome from you and 'icecream'.
Hi Shane. Small world. Do you think it is wise to try another #497 or will it possibly cause more problems than I already have. Will it cause any problems to Michael's Autostar by connecting it to my telescope?
Lesley

merlin8r
26-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi Lesley,
No, you can't hurt a 497 by plugging it in to someone elses telescope, so long as is also a 497 scope. It's the best thing for you to try right now, as there isn't much else it can be!

Clear skies,
Shane

Lesley
26-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks Shane. I am trying it tomorrow morning. Michael has an ETX-125 with Autostar #497. Will let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Lesley

merlin8r
26-01-2007, 12:47 PM
That's very generous of him. Just remember to reset it when you plug it in to yours, and to reset it again when you give it back.

Clear skies,
Shane