PDA

View Full Version here: : AP Mach1 Issues

darrellx
27-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Hi All

My new Mach1 arrived today. First impression – very well built; lovely manufacture job.

But I have noticed three issues. I thought I would put up some pics here to make sure I am right before I contact the US.

First, the counterweights. You will notice the four counterweights in the pic, with the counterweight shaft. I don’t see how they can fit. The shaft has a diameter of 28.5 mm. The counterweights have a hole with a diameter of 47.5 mm. I can find no “fillers” in the boxes. So they have sent the wrong weights. I think these are for the thicker shaft.

Second, the pier adapter. I got the Flat Surface Adapter with Flat Pier Plate. The base of the mount is 150 mm diameter. The inside diameter of the adapter is 170 mm. Something is missing. It is just too slopey. Any suggestions?

Third, the keypad was not in the box.

Other than that, all is good.

Darrell

gregbradley
27-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Maybe they got the apprentice to package all the parts for you!

Better contact them.

Greg.

Marke
27-06-2018, 05:02 PM
You have the wrong shaft or CW I would keep the bigger CWs and get the larger shaft that fits. Are you mounting it on a pier because those plates dont look right. This is the pier plate.

DiscoDuck
27-06-2018, 05:02 PM
Hi Darrell,
Did you order the keypad? That's an optional extra.

I bought an ADATRI for my pier - that (I think!) will fit the Mach1. Are the adapters you mention perhaps intended to fit the AP1100 or AP1600 mounts?

Paul

darrellx
27-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Yes, and email has been sent. Lets see how long it takes for a response!

On the issue of the Adapters for the Pier. The items supplied do not match what I was able to find online.

I was expecting the 119FP Flat Pier Plate and the ADATRI. But this is what I received. So I am trying to work out how this might be used.

On the Flat Pier Plate there are eight holes, marked as 1. These appear to be used to attach the ADATRI by screwing up from the bottom. I was expecting another set of holes on a smaller circumference to attach the Flat Pier Plate to my Pier. I am not sure now how this can be attached to the Pier.

But I am wondering if I now need the Flat Pier Adapter at all. I have a very flat plate welded onto the top of my Pier. Would I be able to just use the three holes on the ADATRI, marked in green as 2 and screw the ADATRI directly to the top of my Pier? Or maybe even use the eight holes on the outside of the ADATRI that were used to secure the Flat Pier Plate.

I think three screws would be enough, or if necessary use the eight. Maybe!

Any thoughts?

Darrell

DiscoDuck
27-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Sorry. Just noticed Mark's post. Yes - that looks like the ADATRI I have.

darrellx
27-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Not sure what happened then, but the attachment didn't go.

Here it is.

darrellx
27-06-2018, 05:06 PM
That is the ADATRI I was expecting. So I am not sure what they have sent.

Marke
27-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Nope just screw the plate i posted straight down it wont move and the base of the Mach1 just just drops in

Marke
27-06-2018, 05:08 PM
They are for tripod mount I think

DiscoDuck
27-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Hi Darrell,
On AP's website, those adapters look like the 119FP and 119FSA

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/mounts/1100gto/1100upgrades

I think the ADATRI is what Mark sent the pic of. That's what I've got bolted to the top (flat surface) of my pier. I got a mate to drill and tap a few holes - though it was a bit more complex as it needed to be raised to clear the bolts holding my top plate and so he designed a spacer ring that raises it all by an inch or so.

Paul

DJT
27-06-2018, 11:30 PM
You could just call them directly. They are best placed to advise.

darrellx
28-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Hi All

I think it is all sorted. I was expecting a bit of an argument, especially regarding shipping costs and the absent Hand Controller. But No. All has been accepted as an issue from their end.

- I will be keeping the Counter Weights as they are, and will be receiving a new thicker counter weight shaft.
- A Hand Controller will be sent.
- Two new ADATRI adapters will be sent and I will be returning the plates that I received.

Now it is back to the waiting game.

Darrell

Marke
28-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Good to hear and there is a reason AP have a good rep and customer service is one of them :thumbsup:

DiscoDuck
28-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Great you got it sorted so easily Darrell.

darrellx
28-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Yes! I am pleased, and I don't want to get too hung up about it. But given the cost of what I purchased, and the fact that it had to be shipped USA--->Australia, I thought they would have made absolutely sure the Order was IN Order before being sent.

Anyway. It looks like it will all end well. And the bottom line, I will end up with some cash in the pocket.

Atmos
28-06-2018, 11:31 AM
What makes a good company is no so much mistakes that may be made but how they deal with them.

darrellx
28-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Hi All

I just thought I would check here regarding the ADATRI that I have coming. Probably one for the Mach1 users out there.

If I understand correctly all I will need to do is bolt/screw it to my pier, then the base of the Mach1 will just sit into it and be secured by screws coming in from the side.

Is there anything else that I will need that may have been forgotten by the sales rep in the US?

Thanks
Darrell

dcalleja
29-06-2018, 07:14 AM
Hi
My Mach 1 counterweights have a brass insert in them that I assume is there to correctly fit the shaft

Good to hear they are sorting it all out for you. My experience with AP is that they have brilliant service

And the mount itself simply works. Very accurate pointing and very low PE. My only problem these days is my post processing

Marke
29-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Thats right it just bolts down and the mount drops into it . The sides are slotted so you can get a rough align before tightening it down

DiscoDuck
29-06-2018, 09:52 AM
I note that they changed to design from holes to slots. Since I set up each time afresh on my pier, I wanted to have the holes so that it would be close to polar alignment the next time, rather than relying on getting it the same place in the slot. So I contacted AP back in January and they sold me an old ADATRI with the holes - though might be hard to get, as that was a one from one of their display mounts in their showroom apparently.

For my tripod, I've got a slotted one as it'll give more flexibility as I am never anywhere near south when I guesstimate the tripod direction :)

Marke
29-06-2018, 12:20 PM
I've had mine 6yrs and it has slots in it they have just added more slots now i think.

DiscoDuck
29-06-2018, 02:05 PM
I've got a one with just holes bolted to my pier forlornly waiting to be used :). Perhaps they made 2 types??

darrellx
29-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Paul

I can see the irony here - I have the Mount, Pier and Telescope waiting to be used because I have no adapter.

DiscoDuck
29-06-2018, 03:53 PM
We need to collaborate. Now if you could just pop down to Adelaide .... :)

DiscoDuck
29-06-2018, 03:58 PM
This is the sort of thing Mark...

Marke
29-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Thats the tripod adaptor which isnt slotted not the pier adapter .
This is the one I got . I also have the Eagle pier with the height extention and thats slotted as well.

Marke
29-06-2018, 07:19 PM
Here is my actual pier and the plate

DiscoDuck
29-06-2018, 10:23 PM
The one on my pier is the one with just holes. I've got slots on my tripod (that was a stock pic I found of the holey one on a tripod just to confuse things!).

I'm hoping I've got the right one!!

Edit: This is the one on my pier
http://www.astro-physics.com/products/accessories/mounting_acc/adatri-specs-layers.pdf
Which is called a tripod adapter but they say "This adapter is necessary to attach an Astro-Physics 400, 600E or Mach1GTO mount to a tripod or pier that has a flat surface"

darrellx
30-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Mark

Good pic of the Pier and Plate.

Now, where did you get the nice bolts that go through the ADATRI to secure the Mount? I have checked, and they are not supplied by AP.

My local Nuts and Bolts shop (not Bunnings) do not seem to have anything like that.

Thanks
darrell

Marke
30-06-2018, 08:54 AM
I actually got them from AP machined alloy ones they supplied them at the time and you could buy them direct . Check their site I think you can order them.

Marke
30-06-2018, 08:57 AM
I think there is a bit of confusion with them as they all have the same name . I specified the slotted one didn't even realise ever were others beside the tripod adapter.

DiscoDuck
30-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Darrell,I understood they're meant to come with the mount.
e,g,
here
http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/products
it says under the list of parts included
"1/4-20 Machined Knob Kit (M1485KBKIT)"
which is on this page
http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/mounts/mach1gto/mach1upgrades
and seems to be what is needed.

I was assuming then that it came with the mount.

DiscoDuck
30-06-2018, 10:40 AM
I don't think there are now. As I said, that one with holes I got was ex-display. They don't seem to do them anymore.

darrellx
30-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Paul

I don't remember seeing them when I unpacked the three boxes. When I contacted OPT, they said nothing about them being supplied. OPT contacted AP and they said that they don't supply fasteners anymore because they don't know how the purchaser is going to mount the Mount. I can get the exact quote if you would like.

At the moment, I am away with work, so I cannot check the boxes again, but I will most definitely when I get home. BUT... surely either OPT or AP would have said something like "Hey dummy, look in Box Number 2. You will find three screws in there." Or words to that effect.

Also, there are no screws to attach the Mount Plate. I got the 16" Easy-Balance Dovetail Saddle Plate (DOVELM162). I am going to need to source 4 bolts for that as well.

I will be getting home on Friday. Expect a response on Friday night.

Given the cost of the mount, I would have thought they would throw in half a dozen bolts.

Darrell

Marke
30-06-2018, 04:26 PM
There should be bolts with it I got several packets of different sizes supplied with mine you may have missed them. They are just stainless hex bolts you can get at Bunnings if needed

DiscoDuck
30-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Thanks Darrell. I'll check with the dealer re what I should be getting.

DiscoDuck
30-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Bizarre. This
http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/mounts/fastenerchart.pdf
shows the fasteners the plate should ship with (at least that's what they've titled the column in the table!).

codemonkey
30-06-2018, 05:03 PM
My Mach 1, which shipped in August last year, definitely came with the bolts to attach the DOVELM162 (which I also bought). Pretty sure no bolts came for the ADATRI though.

Have to say this sounds like a pretty disappointing experience.

DiscoDuck
30-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Lee - so the three bolts that connect the mount to the base - be it ADATRI or whatever else you use - i.e. the M1485KBKIT, didn't come with the mount?

Did you buy them separately from AP or use something else?

codemonkey
30-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Apologies for the confusion. Mine came with the knobs that you use to fix the mount to the ADATRI, but no bolts to attach the ADATRI to the pier. For the latter I had some bolts laying around that I'd used to attach my previous mount to the pier.

Marke
30-06-2018, 06:36 PM
You can use any bolt I drilled and taped the holes I think m8 hex bolts you can get them anywhere . No point supplying them because everyone has different requirements for length or type.

darrellx
30-06-2018, 06:55 PM
It is a bit disappointing. I was expecting to be up and running as soon as it arrived.

But as Atmos said earlier "what makes a good company is not so much mistakes that may be made but how they deal with them".

I will wait and see how all this is resolved.

Yes, I understand that the bolts to attach the ADATRI to the pier is up to the purchaser. There are a lot of variables around that.

But the bolts to screw through the ADATRI into the base of the mount, and the bolts to screw the Dovetail Saddle Plate into place are fairly specific.

To be fair, I did only have a quick look on Wednesday before I had to leave. I am fairly sure neither bolt sets were in the packaging. As soon as I get home I am going to double check.

Darrell

DiscoDuck
30-06-2018, 07:12 PM
No, my bad. Sorry - I misunderstood which bolts you meant.

Hope you find the parts Darrell.

darrellx
06-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Hi All

I have been away for the last week, and just got home this afternoon. And my saga continues.

My focus was to go through all the packages to make sure that I had not overlooked some of the fixings. I also wanted to make sure that all other parts were the right ones.

I think I have received the wrong mounting bars. See pic.

The larger bar is a 16 inch Dovetail Mounting plate. This is the bar that will attach to the mount.

The smaller bar is a 15 inch Sliding Bar. But I think it is too narrow. I was expecting a wider bar to fit the clamps on the 16 inch. This narrower bar is the one I should be attaching my Rings onto.

I am wondering what others have purchased for this. Or, is what I have been supplied correct, in which case, what am I missing.

Thanks
Darrell

Marke
06-07-2018, 06:53 PM
The 16" dovetail plate is correct it accepts losmandy style bar I have no idea what the other is for just looks like an accessory bar to me. I assume you have losmandy sized plates on your scope.

darrellx
06-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Mark

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I forgot. I do have the losmandy plate on the scope. Its been so long since I looked at it.

Now I am wondering why I was told the Slide Bar was required.

Darrell

gregbradley
07-07-2018, 09:33 AM
Hi Darrell,

Are you talking with AstroPhysics? I have found them to be extremely professional and helpful. Their products are a cut above others.

If not give them a call and go over what you need and I sure it will be handled quickly and easily.

Greg.

DiscoDuck
07-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Darrell, did you find the 3 bolts to connect the mount to the ADATRI?

darrellx
07-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Greg

I haven't spoken to or contacted Astro Physics yet. OPT took my money, so they should fix the problems. I will need to contact AP to get an extension to the trial period for APCC. My time runs out on 27 July - 3 weeks. I am at least 10 days away from getting the replacement equipment, probably longer.

Paul

Yes, I found the bolts for the ADATRI. Three of them. They were mixed with the screws/bolts for the counterweights. See the pic. The bolt on the right is to go through the ADATRI. The bolt on the left is for the counter weights. I am short one of the cw bolts. Another will be included in the parcel when it ships.

I also found the bolts that secure the Dovetail Saddle Plate to the Mount Dec Hub. They were taped underneath the saddle plate and all wrapped in bubble wrap.

Darrell

Slawomir
08-07-2018, 06:22 AM
I’m sorry Darrell that your mount didn’t come with all necessary bits. I think Greg’s advice is a good one - it wouldn’t hurt to let the guys at AP know how you got a mix of parts. That’s just not right, in particular for this price. When I ordered my Mach1 directly from AP, everything came beautifully packed and clearly labelled, so putting the mount together was quick, easy and fun.

gregbradley
08-07-2018, 09:12 AM
George at Astrophysics was very helpful in the past.

They pride themselves on being the best. Optcorp are usually good as well but now its a 3rd party, they have to tell AP and AP tells them to tell you etc etc.

But if replacements are already underway then maybe no real point to it unless you have questions about what is needed to get you up and running.

You can of course also send them questions by email and there is also an AP Yahoo Group where Roland often posts and you can ask questions.

https://au.groups.yahoo.com/neo

I think you'll find them most responsive, friendly and helpful.

Greg.

darrellx
13-07-2018, 09:57 AM
I don't want to sound like I am ungrateful, but these perfectly clear, sunny, gorgeous, low humidity days and nights are becoming a bit tedious.

My replacement parts are due to arrive next Thursday, so I have been told. Not all of them, but enough to at least get started. By then, I expect some clouds to roll in.

I have been in touch with Astro Physics. I am just waiting to hear back from them.

Darrell

multiweb
13-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Leave some clear nights for astrofest.

darrellx
19-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Hi All

Good news! The bulk of the remaining equipment has arrived for the Mach1. Not all, but enough that I can at least start getting everything together and see how it looks.

One pic is just the Mach 1 and my still new Esprit 150. The other pic is a comparison with the EQ6 and Megrez 90.

The Mach 1 is mounted on my "test pier" at home. This weekend I will mount the ADATRI onto the Pier at my dark site.

I look forward to being able to use it all.

Darrell

darrellx
19-07-2018, 11:12 AM
Okay. I forgot to press the "upload" button.

Slawomir
19-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Great news Darrell!

The counterweight shaft looks very solid!

Have fun with the new mount :thumbsup:

DiscoDuck
19-07-2018, 06:36 PM
Congrats Darrell.

Enjoy the new mount.

Marke
19-07-2018, 09:47 PM
You need to put more on it :)

darrellx
20-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Yep. And as soon as I can get all my counterweights onto the shaft thats what will happen.

I have weighed every item and I have a total of 20.8 kgs of equipment to put on there.

The shaft was a bit of a surprise. It weighs over 3 kgs. And it feels very solid when attached.

I like the look when everything is the same colour, and I particularly like carbon fibre. Good setup there Mark.

Marke
20-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Thanks the colour coordination wasnt really intended :) I have the large shaft + extension shaft and 3x 9kg CW I am probably closer to 30kg