PDA

View Full Version here: : Ngc5139

Paul Haese
24-06-2018, 02:06 PM
I am still working on fine tuning of the RC system again. Things are starting to look more how I had the system years ago. This image is a test of collimation and guiding. Collimation is looking ok now, but might need a tweak.

It seems Diffraction Limited cannot get its software to work properly with an SBIG AO under automation no matter how hard they try. I am currently trying to get SkyX to guide and undertake the task because everyone I have spoken to has said they are using the SkyX rather than lose valuable subs with MaximDL.

The image is a crop of the full frame as I don't have a flattener for this scope and it looks like I never will. GSO does not seem interested in making one that is big enough and ones big enough to cover an 11002 sensor from the more reputable manufacturers cost an arm and a leg.

Only a really short integration with subs at 1 minute for luminance and 30 seconds for colour. A total of 20 minutes.

Click here (http://paulhaese.net/NGC5139RC12.html) for larger image.

Atmos
24-06-2018, 02:43 PM
The resolution is fantastic and even without the flattener, it really isn't that bad.

Placidus
24-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Oh, wow! In the next life, we're going to have to have adaptive optics.

The resolution is just stunning.

Lovely colour and contrast and all that stuff, too.

Stonius
24-06-2018, 04:15 PM
Wait, so what's your setup? theSkyx runs your guiding and AO?

gregbradley
24-06-2018, 06:43 PM
That looks very good. Cent A is an acid test for alignments and its all looking pretty close.

Greg.

Ryderscope
24-06-2018, 07:43 PM
Cropped it may be but this image passes the pixel peeping test with flying colours. Lovely crisp stars and resolution. I think your ready to start pumping out more exceptional images :)

Stonius
24-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Sorry, I should clarify; are you trying to use your SBig AO with a non-SBig imaging camera? I considered doing this, but it looks like you'd need to use an SBIG guide cam. Wondering if it's working for you.

Best

Markus

theodog
24-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Nice image Paul. Plenty of stars in that one.

I returned to the 8300 chip for the same reason regarding the 11002. I can get the field reasonably flat (with a 67 flattener) over the 8300.

Oh the OMEGA of it all!

Peter Ward
25-06-2018, 07:22 PM
I like the use of short expoures to keep scattering down. Great colours.
Nicely resolved....what’s not to like? Nice one :thumbsup:

cometcatcher
25-06-2018, 08:10 PM
You know at first glance I thought this image looked very "grainy".Then I zoomed in. That's not grain, they're very tiny itty-bitty stars! Wow!

batema
25-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Beautiful

multiweb
26-06-2018, 07:38 AM
Great field, corner to corner. :thumbsup:

Slawomir
27-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Very nice result Paul. I was thinking of changing SGP/PHD for MaximDL, but it is interesting to read you experience with it.

CFF makes quality flatteners that cover more than full frame sensors for their RCs and these are not as expensive as those from ASA and others.

Paul Haese
04-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and compliments.

Yeah AO makes imaging easier in many ways. Getting the bump right is the hard part. The system is getting close to being fully tuned now.

No, I am not using the AO in that manner. The trouble is that MaximDL despite a lot of tweaking to the plug in for the AOX struggles to operate properly in automation. You need to either persist with Maxim or use the SkyX to control the camera and AO. I have got things now going with MaximDL but I still need to calibrate the drive and AO in Maxim at the start of every session otherwise it fails to operate properly despite working well in the previous session after calibration. It's like MaximDL just forgets the settings.

Maxim is great for normal guiding and I really like the way you can make all the settings you need for guiding. It is when you use an AO that things get a bit trickier.

I am not sure who CFF is, who are they? I if you get back to me I will certainly look into their products.

atalas
06-07-2018, 10:33 PM
Nice to see the RC12 up and running again Paul...just some minor tweaking by the looks of this shot....very nice.