PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade LX70 6" Maksutov ?

ZeroID
24-06-2018, 07:58 AM
I am looking at buying one of these second hand. It looks brand new and seems good value for the package which includes the mount.
It would give me two new options. A longer focal length scope (f12) for planetary and galaxy imaging using a 2 x Barlow and secondly a more robust mount and setup for any field trips.

Any comments re the suitability and quality of this combination? Any information appreciated.

LewisM
24-06-2018, 09:27 AM
These are rebadged Synta/Skywatchers scopes so if you can get a SW or Orion cheaper, is go that way. All perform rather well - not top tier TEC/Saintech/Intes superb but still well.

Also note the 2” back on these is NOT a true 2” back. Quite the opposite. They are baffled down to an inch or so, so anything 2” will vignette. Wide EPs in this definitely get cut off.

ZeroID
24-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Hi Lewis,
Thanks for that. This is way cheaper for the setup, $700 .
2" is not a requirement, I image at 1.25" with the 1600mm-c. Any idea why it is baffled to such an extent ?
Any idea what the mount is like ? He makes no comment on that. The scope is setup in a lounge looking at to sea, I don't think it has ever been used outside or for original purpose.

sil
26-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Does it have the extra dual axis motor mount for automatic tracking? Yes it should be a solid travel setup but maybe it doesnt have the tracking upgrade and so cheap? Ignore if you wont use it for imaging.

Merlin66
26-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Sil makes a good point....
It looks like the basic Lx70 doesn't come with electric drives.....

ZeroID
26-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Missed it after all that. Someone else had the same idea and grabbed the 'Buy Now' deal I was considering. Probably just as well, got enough scopes already. No mention of a tracking capability by the seller and I couldn't see any electrical connections on the mount, just a couple of flex knobs.
Moving right along .... next please ...

AndrewJ
26-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Gday Brent
The basic LX70s were manual drive only.
Meade have since put out an add on motor set
but its only very basic.
https://www.meade.com/lx70-motor-drives-dual-axis.html
(and at USD200 its not cheap)

Andrew

LewisM
26-06-2018, 03:54 PM
The LX70 is a rebadged Skywatcher EQ3 or 5 (can't recall which) - GOTO kits from SW are available for both for around $800 Aus.

Best bet would be to hold off for a Vixen GPD or GPD2 and add the add-on Synscan kit - 1000 times better than the EQ3/5. The EQ3/5 is afterall a copy of the GP/GPD.

AndrewJ
26-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Another thing is Meade are releasing 2 new models,
the LX65 and the LX85
The LX85 looks like a reworked LXD75 but has PPEC and uses the standard Audiostar handbox.
No real reviews yet tho.

Andrew

ZeroID
26-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys, the opportunity has passed and I'm better spending my little spare cash on more useful bits anyway.