PDA

View Full Version here: : M17 in mono

Slawomir
21-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

This time I have a mono image that will be used as a Luminance, once I get a chance to complete collecting narrowband data.

It is a combination of Ha and OIII data (just over 20 hours altogether), acquired with a 105mm refractor at f/6 with a QSI 690 and 3nm Astrodons.

High res: https://www.astrobin.com/full/352257/0/?nc=user

Full res: https://cdn.astrobin.com/thumbs/Doxmx3924dBc_16536x16536_wmhqkGbg.j pg

Here is my previous attempt at M17 from a few years ago: https://www.astrobin.com/full/49475/B/?image_list_page=3&nc=

Thank you for looking :hi:

Suavi

Christopher-26
21-06-2018, 06:39 PM
I like it!

Placidus
21-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Most excellent!

Very deep, with faintest outer detail showing nicely, but you've preserved the overall feel beautifully.

Stonius
21-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Wow, what a difference a few years makes! Can't wait to see the full version, it's looking amazing already!

I guess 20 x the integration time and a complete change in setup may make a difference too!

On that theme - I wonder what you would say were the biggest factors in the difference between these two images? Knowledge? Integration time? A particular piece of gear, or a trick that made it all fall into place for you?

Markus

Slawomir
21-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Thank you Chris :)

Thank you Mike and Trish. It is a bit of a challenge to simultaneously show bright and dark regions while not making this DSO look flat. Combining Ha and OIII has improved the SNR across the image by about 5-7% (as opposed to only Ha), so noise reduction was just cosmetic.

Thank you Markus.

There are many many aspects that can be improved, but overall I hope the image is not too bad for this aperture.

As for the difference between the two images, I think it is a combination of lots of things, but better data processing is probably one of the key elements. Then would be integration time+more capable equipment+a darker site.

I look forward to finishing this image, probably in a few weeks as the weather has worsened and the moon is starting to shine splendidly yet again.

gregbradley
21-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Wow you are smashing it with that CFF105 and the QSI690. That's a level of detail and tightness I would associate with much larger scopes and cameras.

Fabulous. Your CFF is definitely a keeper.

Greg.

strongmanmike
21-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Come'n along quite nicely Suavi...love B&W images like this, reminds me of the old film days...aaah sigh...they were the daaays... :thumbsup:

Mike

Slawomir
22-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Thank you Greg. That little refractor is certainly staying with me. Maybe one day I will also get a larger sensor to take a better advantage of the flat field it produces.

Happy that my attempt at M17 has induced a bit of nostalgia Mike :thumbsup:

Atmos
22-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Utterly wonderful Suavi! Really looking forward to the full colour shot :thumbsup:

multiweb
22-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Awesome Ha! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Andy01
23-06-2018, 10:25 AM
And that’s how it’s done folks !
Good to see you back imaging regularly again Suavi :thumbsup:
Great job so far - be interesting to see how you render the colour palatte on this one.
I found it to be a real challenge balancing the detail & nebulosity, and featuring the Dark Nebula too.
Looking forward to the finished image :)

Slawomir
27-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Thank you Colin, Marc and Andy.

Weather has gone bad so collecting SII has been delayed until further notice.