PDA

View Full Version here: : Io transit

geolindon
21-06-2018, 06:19 PM
g day

Io is currently transiting and is clearly visible because it is lined up nicely with a northern dark band :)

Baza
25-06-2018, 10:48 AM
May have been . Sky safari shows ganymede transit 26 june.

geolindon
25-06-2018, 11:38 AM
g day Baza,

i use the lists in 'ASTRONOMY 2018 Australia' book by Wallace, Dawes and Northfield. Quasar Publishing.

the Ganymede transit is not shown for the 26th. is it in daylight perhaps? 'cos they only list events in the dark. a nice Europa Occult disappearance at 17.20 and eclipse reappearance at 23.33. eclipse reappearances are fun 'cos the moon reappears away from Jupiter's limb seemingly outa nowhere. the first one i watched really got me by surprise.

on 28th there is an Europa shadow egress at 17.50
then an Io plus shadow transit from 19.44 thru 22.55

i like 'em in 'prime time' and the balmy 15' C of Qld winter evenings :)
some rain 'd be handy but if its not gunna rain then clear skies please.

regards, L

Tinderboxsky
25-06-2018, 01:31 PM
That was a good heads up, thank you Lindon. I went out almost immediately and was greeted by a clear sky with faint thin high cloud.

I could not pick up Io in mid transit as the seeing was just not good enough. Revisited later and was able to pick up Io in front of Jupiter as it approached egress. Io's shadow was clearly visible by then. I stayed and watched the egress.

I enjoy these events - they give a clear sense of motion. I have an ongoing little project to log an observation for each event for each of the four moons - ingress+transit+egress, occultation disappearance+reappearance, eclipse disappearance +reappearance, shadow ingress+transit+egress. I am now only missing some Callisto events, but I think I have to wait until 2022 to catch these. Then there are multiple Moon events and ....

Baza
30-06-2018, 03:32 PM
Thanks.

geolindon
01-07-2018, 09:47 AM
happy to help :thumbsup:

i share your awe Steve and your project is cool :)
i particularly enjoyed watching moon eclipse moon events i think it was 2015 when Jupiter's tilt aligned their orbital disc to us.

its raining :) YEAH
regards, L