PDA

View Full Version here: : GST and repairs

LewisM
17-06-2018, 06:46 PM
OK, is there a way to register with the government equipment going OS for repairs, so that they don't slug GST on return?

For example, if I sent an expensive telescope to the manufacturer for repairs, and it comes back in with a valuation of $6000, the GST on that would be $600, which would be an ouch for something already paid for!

I remember there used to be a registration on items prior to going OS years ago - is that still available?

I am sure many will try the "return from repair" declaration to try to circumvent the GST/duty if there is that option, but I am concerned about LEGITIMATE repair returns.

Kunama
17-06-2018, 06:51 PM
It can be specified in the documentation but must be accompanied by the repairers invoice for that the item was sent from Australia for repair.

same goes for warranty repaired items

Merlin66
17-06-2018, 07:04 PM
Based on my experience sending solar telescopes back to the US for repair, EVERYTHING must be documented prior to sending the item(s) and well labeled as well as photos take of the items and packaging.
Keep everything and get ready to submit it in request to Customs claims upon return.
A real PITA but definitely worthwhile.

Zuts
17-06-2018, 09:26 PM
So there's a customs handling fee on repairs?

Merlin66
18-06-2018, 09:06 AM
They seem to attempt to hold the item(s) and request clearance costs/ duty until you can satisfactorily submit documentation showing unambiguously that the item was shipped oversees from Australia and subsequently returned to Australia.
Keep all documentation/ records/ emails to provide the necessary proof.
Can take some time, but when successful there are no additional costs.

OzStarGazer
18-06-2018, 09:40 AM
I wonder if it is after the warranty period if they might charge 10% on repair costs? GST is on both goods and services, and repair work is a service.
If it is after the warranty period it is probably more convenient to have a telescope repaired here anyway I guess (if possible).

AndrewJ
18-06-2018, 09:51 AM
Cant see how they could justify GST on that, as if so, then "technically", anyone who buys an "overseas service" would have to pay,

ie all holiday accomodation, food, transport, entertainment????
That would be fun.

Andrew

OzStarGazer
18-06-2018, 10:02 AM
I certainly hope so!
The difference would be that you have to document at Customs why the telescope is entering the country, while they can't know what you do on holiday.
But I wouldn't be surprised if certain twisted minds one day really find a way to charge GST even on international holidays!

Merlin66
18-06-2018, 10:09 AM
No,
The customs were interested in the total value of the instrument - not a repair cost. It was as if you were importing the item for the first time.
You have to work hard to convince them that the item had already been purchased (in Australia) and then re-shipped back oversees for repairs.

Wavytone
18-06-2018, 10:32 AM
SHSHSH !!!!

I’m surprised it hasn’t dawned on someone to take 10% of all bank withdrawals.

GST is a tax on the flow of money. Nothing else.

RB
18-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Can we please stay on topic.
Lewis is asking a specific question on GST and repairs !

RB

OzStarGazer
18-06-2018, 11:07 AM
https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/In-detail/Rules-for-specific-transactions/International-transactions/GST-and-imported-goods/?page=2
(Item 18)

Merlin66
18-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Yeah,
You just have to prove your case......

OzStarGazer
18-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Whoever repairs it should provide all the documentation, including serial number of course to identify the item.

Merlin66
18-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Yeah,
BUT you still have to prove you had purchased it in Australia and had proof that it was the same article you posted to the vendor for repair.....I've been through this pain a couple of times.....

AndrewJ
18-06-2018, 11:24 AM
That appears to indicate the repair is done at no cost to the sender,
ie wont cover non warranty repairs where you need to send em money.????
Andrew

OzStarGazer
18-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Yes, and that's what I had originally suspected.