PDA

View Full Version here: : Moonlite for 10" newt

gjr80
12-06-2018, 10:49 AM
I have a Skywatcher 10" newt with the stock dual speed focuser. I had always planned on replacing the focuser in the next year or so but given the 1 July GST changes I am now motivated to get an early Christmas present. I've decided to get a Moonlite 2" CR focuser with the Universal Install kit. Using the 0.5" spacer will put the top of the Moonlite focuser about 0.075" (1.9mm) below the top of my current focuser. I currently have 1.5" of travel so a 1.5" drawtube on the Moonlite would seem to fairly well mirror what I have now.

Given the Moonlite drawtube will protrude into the tube much less than the current focuser (current protrusion is 1.5" fully racked in, Moonlite will be 0.55" fully racked in with a 1.5" drawtube) I am wondering if there is any value in getting a drawtube longer than 1.5". By my calcs I could go up to the 2.37" drawtube and still have no more protrusion than I have now. I thought if I added the 1" spacer in the install kit I could then avoid using the extension tube I currently need for visual.

I only visually observe now and have no plans to change, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot now should I want to image later. Am I best to keep it simple and just mimic what I have now (with less protrusion) or would I be better served going with a longer drawtube from the outset?

Gary