PDA

View Full Version here: : Storm on Saturn?

Mickoid
11-06-2018, 12:22 PM
I captured these shots last night with the Esprit 100, seeing was ok and I'm wondering if I've captured a storm on Saturn. There appears to be a lighter area toward the Hex but I would like to know whether anyone else captured Saturn recently and has noticed this, or is it just a processing artifact?

cometcatcher
11-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Yes I believe there is a storm on Saturn now. I captured some images last night but have get to process them. Nice refractor shots!

m11
11-06-2018, 02:35 PM
love the shots.

Great work :thumbsup:

jimmyh1555
11-06-2018, 03:40 PM
great picture, Michael! What camera did you use and what settings? I also have an Esprit 100:D

Mickoid
11-06-2018, 11:59 PM
Thanks Kevin, then I guess it could be the storm you can just see in my capture. Now I wish I'd used the 8 inch instead of the 4 inch.

Thanks Mel, it was a challenge chasing them around to cast their light on the camera sensor.Thanks James, II used my trusted Canon 550d on movie crop mode. I taped a 10mm eyepiece to a 2.5X Power mate and shot Saturn for nearly 4mins at 1600ISO at 50 fps and Mars at 2 mins 400ISO 50fps. Processed 40% best frames of each in PIPP, stacked in Autostakkert and wavelets in Registax. Resized in PS.

Anth10
12-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Storms all over the solar system at the minute. Lets keep our fingers crossed that the one on Mars dissipates before opposition! Nice shots Mick.

Outcast
12-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Nice shot's Mickoid

How do you manage getting sharp focus?

I tried the other night using my Meade APO 80mm, SLR (prime focus not afocal though) & live view through my laptop; thought I had sharp focus but, discovered otherwise when I went to edit on my laptop. In fact, my focus was way off.

At prime focus, all I see is a dot for Saturn.. had hoped to capture a sharp image then enlarge it to get the detail but, no joy.

xelasnave
12-06-2018, 03:38 PM
They are excellent.
I like blowing them right up ... really takes you there.
I just sat for a couple minutes taking these in...better than watching tv.
Do you run the frames and look at it like a video...I expect we rush past that to get to an images ...but looking at it so long I sweare they were rotating☺
Good job.
Alex