PDA

View Full Version here: : A compact couple

Mickoid
07-06-2018, 10:39 PM
Inspired by Kevin's afocal shot of Jupiter, I decided to try the technique out using a "Point and Shoot" digital camera. I have several Canon Powershot series cameras and I chose the small Powershot S95 because of it's light weight. I attached it to the 8 inch Newt with a Saxon 3.8mm ED eyepiece.

The S95 was released nearly 10 years ago and it's 10 megapixel sensor captures a highest video resolution of only 1280 x 720 @ 24fps, so by today's standards, it's far from the UHD some cameras support.

Anyway, this is what I got by fixing the camera to an adapter designed to hold the camera lens in alignment with the eyepiece. I found full zoom on the compact camera gave the best results.

raymo
07-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Terrific stuff Michael.
raymo

xelasnave
07-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Wow they are excellent captures.
Well done.
Alex

Atmos
08-06-2018, 06:54 AM
It’s done a much better job than my iPhone, very respectable :)

Mickoid
08-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Thanks Ray, glad you like them.

Thanks Alex, you should give it a go, it's a challenge lining up the camera lens to the eyepiece but it's rewarding to see the planet pop into the screen once aligned.

Yeah, the mobile phone's haven't quite got there yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time

Their main drawback (unless you have one newer than an iPhone 6) is no optical zoom ability which is what gave me this result with the compact digital. Besides, I think their optics are still better than iPhones. They're a phone with a camera, what we want is a camera with a phone! :lol:

Imme
08-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Great stuff Mick.

I attempted my first planetary stuff a few nights ago and failed miserably (although it was a full moon so I blame that!)

You might have to come visit for a tutorial!

Mickoid
08-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Thanks Jon, Sunday night is looking good this weekend and with a public holiday down here on the Monday, you can stay up all night! :stargaze:

cometcatcher
09-06-2018, 01:27 AM
Blimey they are clear!

I just can't get a good shot of Saturn. Jupiter seems easier but is much brighter too.

Imme
09-06-2018, 08:05 AM
Grrr.....I’m away for the weekend!