PDA

View Full Version here: : Who is still using FarceBook??

AndrewJ
07-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Gotta say i am stunned to see the latest revelations re them flogging all your data ( and your linked friends ) to Chinese manufacturers????
After all the earlier revelations of who they gave your data to, i wonder whats next.

Starting to wonder if Suckerberg is actually worse than the banks or not???

Andrew

FlashDrive
07-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Andrew ...I've never had a Face Book Account ....:thumbsup: ... no problem here.

Col...

multiweb
07-06-2018, 02:10 PM
People won't drop out because of this. Content on FB is light and not like private files. Only a social platform to be used as such. Cloud services are more of a worry IMHO.

AndrewJ
07-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Gday Col

Me either, but from what i read, if you are linked by some one with an account, or graze on someones facebook "site" without logging in, they also hoovered up all yr info. Not sure how true that is, but i can see it as being easily done. Even getting an email addr that way opens up more spamming.

Andrew

leon
07-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Never even considered using it Andrew, or any other social media for that matter.

Leon

LewisM
07-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Not there for quite some time. Most useless baseless crap in ages. I could care less what some moron ate for lunch or dinner.

Imme
07-06-2018, 04:15 PM
I’m forced to use it for work purposes...as a promotions tool.

Seems to have moved away from ‘what I had for dinner’ to this is my family’.

Facebook metrics now show main users now are women with children in the 32-44 age group. That figure is more or less reflected in the followers of the page I manage for work....84% middle aged women wiht kids.

Business pages are a lot different to personal pages, they record a lot of data on your users, where they click, how long they look for and what else they look at........pretty crazy really that this info is so easily farmed and passed on.

I once went to a data mining workshop that was sold as ‘use the internet to increase sales’ workshop........let’s just say after attending that I will never use a public wifi service again......shocking the amount of info you give them access to by clicking that ‘I agree’ button to start your access

Lognic04
07-06-2018, 04:19 PM
I use it - mostly for the extremely useful ASV groups and Messenger! Never post anything there except astrophotography.

el_draco
07-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Was only ever a platform for wankers and wannabes... Virus central

FlashDrive
07-06-2018, 04:36 PM
:lol: ..!! ( Pop Up City )

billdan
07-06-2018, 04:42 PM
I agree with what Jon said, my wife and her female friends and my sister and her female friends all use it. All of the blokes I know don't touch it including me.

LewisM
07-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Indeed - this is why I always set our phones and tablets to ASK which network to join, rather than auto-joining etc. It let's me opt out. I have not used a free wifi in perhaps 4 years - no Maccas, no Target, no Ikea...I use our mobile data or home wifi only.

LewisM
07-06-2018, 04:44 PM
My wife works cyber security and digital conversion - she won't go near Facebook, and has all the laptop cameras covered. If we need to discuss anything, we leave the phones at home and go for a walk.

Hans Tucker
07-06-2018, 04:47 PM
I use FB to keep in touch with ex-RAAFies along with keeping tabs with some Astronomy groups...I don't consider myself to be a wanker and wannabe.

el_draco
07-06-2018, 04:55 PM
;) I guess I should amend that to "mainly" :rofl:

Stonius
07-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Guys....I hate to break it to the 'holier than thou' crowd, but Ice in Space *is Social Media!

:-D

LewisM
07-06-2018, 05:32 PM
It is, but what data do we share?

I run ad blockers, Ghostery and a VPN continually, so good luck with data mining too :)

Nikolas
07-06-2018, 05:41 PM
pffft so much paranoia her and really labelling those who use it as wankers?
Use an adblocker, Use a VPN if you need to, Set your privacy to max and friends only, BLOCK those you suspect are suss, Only share what is lighthearted or peruse pages that interest you.
I use it to keep in touch with relos the other side of the world and also to organise social functions with my friendship group.
If you are stupid enough to have your guard down because you are careless then it's your own stupid fault. In other words get off your high horses those of you who don't use the platform and know only what they read in the alarmist media. (wankers? Seriously?)

dannat
07-06-2018, 06:04 PM
i use it to keep track of events, so many things are now advertised solely on F&^%book, trouble is FB is f*&^ing with me & showing what they want to in my news feed, some items i see from friends a day or 2 after they have happended

el_draco
07-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Yep, wankers, absolutely. The VAST majority of users are, "look at me, look at me exhibitionists..., or worse." You connect to that garbage system and you are being mined, whether you think so or not. Your so called privacy settings mean nothing to suckerberg, he's selling your data and does not give a rats bum about your privacy...

dpastern
07-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Same. I got rid of nearly all social media a few years back (Facebook 6 or so years ago, twitter/instagram/tumblr 3 years ago, reddit a few days ago).

Sick of dealing with morons.

Pretty sure that Facebook sends all your data to the C of I of A too.

SimmoW
07-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Logan, you are excused as YOU ARE UNDER 25YO!!

I use it lots, mainly for the useful groups and cat videos. And of course it's now essential for marketing any business like our farm and astro accommodation.

I generally refer to it as Faeces Book, or my fave, The Book of Faces.

dpastern
07-06-2018, 07:01 PM
I really must disagree with this - Facebook has knowingly abused privacy laws, is a host for fraudulent setups and viruses. Facebook is responsible for any content on their site.

They auto block innocent images of mums with their children, but allow private groups like racial hate groups, pro women groups, pro men groups etc. Double standards and hypocrisy abounds.

Bloody thing should be bloody well banned.

Wanna keep in touch with family on the other side of the world? Send them an email or write them a letter or call them.

PCH
07-06-2018, 08:39 PM
Far out man - what do you think you two could possibly have to say that would be of interest to anyone in the hacking field?

PCH
07-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Here here Hans. Some dinosaurs in this thread for sure ;)

astroron
07-06-2018, 08:58 PM
What a lot of Crap.
You should really think about what you say.
There are a lot of ice in space people on there,plus scientists and other very clever people,plus of course ordinary people that like to communicate with others.
I suggest you go ahead and Call Mike Sidonio a wanker and wannabe as he is on there plus the principal investigator for the New Horizons mission to Pluto and the outer solar system plus many more people that I would look upto above you.
So no it is not a platform for wankers and wannabe's,it is a communications platform to be used with the caution that it requires
That you don't use it is your prerogative,but don't condemn everyone else who does.

astroron
07-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Bloody thing should be bloody well banned.
Head off to Russia or China if you want things banned.
This is a free country and you're at will not to use face book,
Nobody is forcing anyone to use it.
There is enough information out there for people to be careful as to what they do on face book.

Wanna keep in touch with family on the other side of the world? Send them an email or write them a letter or call them.
People do all three and still get pleasure out of using face book and all the other social media outlets.

leon
07-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Never even considered using it Andrew, or any other social media for that matter.

Opp's IIS is social media, :rolleyes: never thought of that, so i am guilty after all :shrug:

Leon :thumbsup:

astroron
07-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Another Phishing expedition Andrew ?
Put the crap out there and watch the mud flow. :rolleyes:

FlashDrive
07-06-2018, 09:17 PM
I'm nearly out of Pop Corn ....:whistle:

GrahamL
07-06-2018, 09:19 PM
I use it to keep in touch with old friends , and a few groups.

I moved on from my hometown very early on from leaving school and lost touch almost everyone I knew , a few chance friend requests slowly steamrolled into many over the years (another today to) I meet up with a whole bunch of people every year from school and the old hood and by chance bumped into one of my oldest friends who dosn't do FB at all just happened to drink were we all met up once . For me the bigger picture has been pretty positive as I'm sure it has been for many others .

el_draco
07-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Suckerberg covers his laptop camera and mic. ... I was doing it a long time before this tidbit came out... :rolleyes:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/22/mark-zuckerberg-tape-webcam-microphone-facebook

There are so many hacks out there that allow both to be turned on remotely, without alerting you... Got a laptop in your bedroom? Lots of people have been victims of extortion based on this little trick. :shrug:

So why have you got your heads in the sand? :shrug:
Why are you so casual about being mined?

el_draco
07-06-2018, 09:29 PM
... and if you take a closer look Ron, I added a qualifier to that statement. I corrected to to say the vast majority... or words to that effect.

:rolleyes:

astroron
07-06-2018, 09:51 PM
You're still WRONG the vast majority are ordinary people with no axe to grind,
are reasonable intelligent and use the media sensibly.
For a person who doesn't use it you seem to think you know quite a bit about it which I think you don't.
What you're saying is that well over 1.5 Billion people are wankers and wannabe's,I think those people would not take too kindly to your description of them,I know I don't as you have probably gathered by now.
PS you should add your qualifier to your original statement.

Nikolas
07-06-2018, 09:57 PM
So what data would that be and why would I be concerned?

LewisM
07-06-2018, 09:58 PM
And who do you think said hacker might just work for? Will they classify him/her as an Ethical Hacker?

You will be VERY surprised, or extremely naive. Or both.

And it's not even usually a hacker. Do some background reading on NSA infiltration and exploitation of known loopholes and backdoors...Have a read of what Snowden leaked.

Or for basics, just read and learn the ASD Essential 8. That's the mere BASIC level for ANY Australian government system.

Then maybe rethink the world around you.

AndyG
07-06-2018, 09:59 PM
The first question asked of our IPT (computer class) in Senior High, by the teacher: "What is the MOST valuable commodity on Earth?"

Hand up, I replied "Knowledge/information". The teacher (top bloke), scowled at me, and said "absolutely... but I was hoping the class would take a little longer to come to this answer".

Since Facebook started, it's IPO, and the following investment in datacentre hardware (some amazing custom stuff, mind you), the intention of the enterprise was obvious. In a vacuum of relevant policy and specific laws, lay great opportunities for those at the pointy end of the free market.

As such, I've never touched facebook. As said in this thread, it's one's right to use/not use it. Every venture as an individual has reward and risk. The only single thing I personally hope, is that Facebook and the like remain a voluntary/"opt in" affair.

Poeple here are smart, they have their own risk/reward equation going. Some in the world are not so smart, and as such, would probably remain personally unnaffected by the most heinous of data breaches anyway.

I've had people literally laugh at me for NOT using facebook. I stood no chance in explaining my reasons, and the relevance of these reasons to themselves also. So, I just told 'em, "I don't have enough time to pay attention to a handful of real friends, how could I handle 300 fake ones?"

So, each to their own... mostly. The only time I've put my foot down, was when my sister shared pictures of our 1st kid with hundreds of people I didn't know (and she barely knew either).

Sorry Pop - happy to send you some popcorn, but I doubt anything I've said above really adds to "the show" :P

AndyG
07-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Whilst in no way contradicting any of your other points, I'm curious about this "1.5 billion" number. Most people I know have more than 1 account. Facebook have their intentions of 1 account -1 entitity, but I see the opposite in practice. Hell, my Wife had 6 accounts at one stage. Yes, we had words...

Henceforth, I call it "Stalkbook".

astroron
07-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Semantics,simple enough to say there are a hell of a lot including yourself that are Not wankers and wannabe's.

AndyG
07-06-2018, 10:34 PM
I appreciate your sentiment Ron, but I assure you, I am indeed a certified* wanker. I still won't use facebook however, unless they force me at gunpoint... :(

*Just ask my Wife, Dad, and various people who roll their eyes when I refer to them as "friends".

AndrewJ
07-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Gday Ron

Nope, just stunned that they could knowingly sell that sort of info to as many different entities as they have, without repercussions, and without it being noticed.

If you think this is useful or good, you are off with the faeries.
Andrew

AndyG
07-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Does anyone remember how Telstra were being fined by the ACCC $Millions, due to their uncompetitive wholesale pricing on DSL to resellers a few years back? They paid the fines happily, as the max fine was less than the profit from the "crime".

I suspect this is the same. The rules haven't adapted or evolved to cause appreciable harm to the operation. So, they push harder...

alan meehan
07-06-2018, 10:58 PM
Well if the Russians or the chinese are listning in to our conversation on here they just learnt that we astronomers are a argumentive lot

Kal
08-06-2018, 12:32 AM
Disabled fakebook last year. Reactivated it when they allowed you to download all your data, which I did (was an 800mb file) and then I disabled it again.

They don't need to send it to the CIA, the NSA just takes and processes all the data, including your private messages *cough* XKeyscore *cough*

Hans Tucker
08-06-2018, 12:42 AM
Great advice if you have contact details. FB, through the RAAFies where are they now and RAAF Instrument Fitters groups allowed me to be reacquainted with members from my recruits and Instrument Trade courses whom I lost contact over the years.

People like you rightfully highlight the breach of trust by FB but the same can be said about banks, telco's and other companies that give away, or should I say sell, your personal information to the highest bidder.

Imme
08-06-2018, 07:45 AM
Talking of dodgy things....haa anyone seen the ad on the iis landing page from 'prizesworld'

......hmmmmm

multiweb
08-06-2018, 08:04 AM
A lot of elderly people use Facebook or Skype to keep in touch with relatives sometime O/S. There was a lady talking recently on a tech segment on SBS about the Google Home device. I hate these things with a vengeance, reminds me of 1984, but she made a valid point. Her mum has alzheimer's and is over 90. A very lonely existence. She got her one of these and it's doing the job. She talks to it, the device responds. It's an interaction that brightens her day a little. Who knows maybe homecare in the future might be automated with machines and they might be better for it hearing the stories in the news right now.

AndrewJ
08-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Gday Marc
The Japanese already have "assistance" robots going into old folks homes, and i have no problem with that, as long as the data stays local to who needs it.

My biggest concern in starting the thread was how brazenly FB were in selling "linked" data to major manufacturers, esp in China ( given the current world situation ).
ie how an innocent person can be swept into their net via links from someone else. Just look at the recent exposure that FB were using facial recognition techniques on posted photos to try and link people together, even if they werent actually named in the source post.
Your typical bank/telco cant do that sort of thing at the scale FB can.

Andrew

multiweb
08-06-2018, 09:04 AM
China has had their own social network platform running for a number of years controlled by the state. My understanding is that Zuckerberg has been trying to crack into the chinese market and approached them saying "ok, what do you want from us to get in?". The problem is not the technology. It is making individuals like him accountable.

OICURMT
08-06-2018, 09:07 AM
I've never used Facebook, but the missus does, sparingly and with a limited number of "friends"... mainly family.

This thread is supporting my recent view...

Nikolas
08-06-2018, 09:18 AM
There are quite a few wankers, I mean fellow IIS people who use facebook
I ask again what particular data is sold off to these insidious organisations? My bad dad jokes or those horrible cat memes? of my affiliation with the Collingwood football club, busting to know how this will compromise anything?
Please someone with any ounce of REAL knowledge not Murdoch inspired knowledge or Wikipedia please let me know how this data will be used?

multiweb
08-06-2018, 09:27 AM
This is exactly where machine learning and modelling shine. By parsing a huge amount of data, which FB and any other online service collected over years, it is possible to prepare the data in a format that can be fed into an series of algorithm that will isolate trends, fit your profile within certain categories, learn about what you like or dislike, even model your future needs, provided your digital footprint is diverse enough which probably is if you have been online for over a decade like the rest of us. From there it is very lucrative to sell this "data" to commercial entities to better target markets and geographical locations. A very simple example is spotify. Because they already know by whom and where their app is used and its frequency they can approach big music labels to tell them where they should plan their touring bands to go saving money in transport and maximising sales.

Imme
08-06-2018, 09:38 AM
My understanding....from being involved in seminars in which the data miners try and on sell there product as a marketing tool is -

They build a profile of you. What you buy, what you search for, kids, married, etc......this allows them, to direct market products to people who are more than likely looking for them.
They track you (a bit 1984 I know).....McDonalds Wifi is the example I was given. If I sign up to maccas wifi in town A and then travel through towns B, C & D on my way to my destination then as I pass Maccas store it logs my passing. This allows them to develop travel habits on me.

In Japan the above 2 x pieces of data are used on a daily basis, multiple times per day on every individual with a wifi connected device.
How you ask.....I walk down the street and the data miner has a picture of who I am. Lets say I'm an adult male who has recently searched for a new telescope online. Lets also say I'm a couple blocks away from Bintel......the data miner, who Bintel uses for publicity) makes the connection and shoots me a notification/text saying something along the lines of "special offer for you Jon, 10% off telescopes at Bintel for the next hour".
People like Boost Juice use this as a sales tactic in Asian countries all the time....basically anyone who fits the mold of a boost juice customer gets sent a special offer when they are within 200m of an outlet.......obviously they only do this in quiet times to drum up business, in busy times they don't

Story for you - I recently had a "Buy Cloth Nappies" ad come up on the side of a gumtree screen....no idea why as I am well and truly passed having kids. Wasn't until a few days later that I heard my partners friend talking about cloth nappies.......I realized then that my partner had used my phone the weekend before when we were out to lunch with her friend to do some research on nappies for her upcoming baby. Pure and simple example of someone mining data from my device and direct marketing to me.

multiweb
08-06-2018, 10:00 AM
I'd say they probably sell, oops sorry, "share" their own collected data as well. How can you possibly build a multi-million dollar franchise selling fruit juice alone. :lol:

billdan
08-06-2018, 11:47 AM
The problem with Facebook and other social media type software is, we are relying on the software to be bug free and not backfire on us.

Today the ABC is reporting that facebook had a software bug that changed users sending private messages to be sent out as public messages.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-08/facebook-bug-changed-up-to-14m-users-privacy-settings/9848150

Not good.

FlashDrive
08-06-2018, 11:48 AM
I've never had my ' Bluetooth ' or WiFi turned on my Mobile at all when I go out.....let alone even at home.

Lets my battery last a lot longer between charges....

Col...:)

multiweb
08-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Actually this is simple standard syndication. Your partner likely used Google to search. Your phone ID or IP was picked up then targeted ads filled in the generic containers (adwords) on gumtree. Similarly any page you visit that has a "like Us" widget or any FB feed will collect what you do on the site and as long as cookies are not cleared what you do on other websites when you navigate away until you close your browser (unless you have a "remember me" setting somewhere and save your pwds so you don't have to type them again).

Wavytone
08-06-2018, 12:40 PM
In software parlance that’s not a bug - it’s an “Undocumented feature”, and I would be quite certain it was deliberate on the part of the software engineers. Things like that aren’t accidental.

The notion of Facebook respecting privacy - let alone be a secure - is a joke - their whole business model is based on giving all your details to anybody who wants it - and without your permission.

If you don’t like that, don’t use it.

dpastern
08-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Yes, I'm aware of this too. I guarantee every bit of data entering and leaving the country is being datamined by carnivore type software searching for specific keywords.

Why do you think the LNP is trying to introduce legislation to crack encrypted data? And, they're refusing to admit how they're doing so. Do some of these people think that big US companies like Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Cisco etc won't provide back doors to the US government at the drop of a whim?

I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy nevertheless. And a government that snoops on you at this level, and uses tools like Facebook, is just plain morally wrong. They can make all the laws that they like, it's still WRONG. They can make all the supposed justifications that they want (terrorists, etc) and they are still WRONG. MOST people are too bloody well stupid to really realise what's going on - governments want to know everything that you, as an individual do. It makes you easier to control. Some interesting reading on the subject:

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2225123/security/when-privacy-dies-and-encryption-is-illegal.html

society has gone to the dogs anyway, i give us 50 years tops. The extinction of the human species will be the very best thing for this planet and every other species on it. I say that with no regrets.

dpastern
08-06-2018, 04:56 PM
This is because the government(s) snoop on all the information that these organisations collect illicitly. The government isn't going to cut off its nose to spite it's face, and it will never punish these organisations.

edit: The banking royal commission is rather interesting - how many major banks now are being done for major illegal activities? ANZ for illegal cartels...CBA for laundering and other illegal processes...yet the current LNP government fought tooth and nail to not have a royal commission...I wonder why?

LewisM
08-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Little correction there - Cisco already has a built in back door, and they kind of warn clients about it too.

Same for Samsung smart products too.

LewisM
08-06-2018, 05:08 PM
50 years? That's being overly optimistic given how the US - in it's End of Empire death throes - is heading. Only a matter of time until they unleash something nuclear in a last-ditch hurrah.

The Deep State is showing it's head more and more. With POTUS Pompeo, VP Bolton and Mattis, big SHTF is coming.

dpastern
08-06-2018, 06:00 PM
oh yeah, my bad!

some interesting reading:

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2229760/cisco-subnet/cisco-backdoor-still-open.html

https://www.infoworld.com/article/2608141/internet-privacy/snowden--the-nsa-planted-backdoors-in-cisco-products.html

Why do you think the US and its cohorts (UK, Australia) so desperately want Snowden...he's exposed the huge LIES of these respective countries, lies that most citizens are too bloody well stupid to believe...the irony is, they believe the spoon fed BS that our respective governments feed us...

A general question for some of the more naive people in this thread - do you think your AV software will find any CIA initiated spy software? Nope...

i was being generous. :-)

edit: why do some of you think optic fibre driven SIP voice communications are being pushed...easier to intercept data than with a traditional PSTN.

2nd edit: Scott McNeely, CEO of Sun Microssystems doesn't think much of privacy...

https://www.wired.com/1999/01/sun-on-privacy-get-over-it/

the arrogance of business, obviously showing that they are in league with illegal governmental spying...

AndrewJ
08-06-2018, 06:24 PM
I find it interesting on the news tonight that the opposition are still playing quiet on their true views re the new foreign interference laws until after the upcoming by elections.
It was reported that chinese social media sites are pushing hard to direct local voters in Bennelong to vote according to the best wishes of China.
Imagine how much the info on "non chinese friendly locals" would be worth, soi they can be indirectly lobbied.

It is this sort of thing that the FB data can provide, possibly to our detriment.

Andrew

dpastern
08-06-2018, 06:42 PM
knowledge is power.

Nikolas
08-06-2018, 06:55 PM
I use an adblocker and never SEE ads so why would I give a rats arse?

multiweb
08-06-2018, 07:41 PM
...but they still see you not giving a rats arse. :lol:

dpastern
08-06-2018, 07:42 PM
what is it with rat's posteriors? :rofl::rofl:

silv
08-06-2018, 08:13 PM
#7 Imme (jon)

Regarding Fan-Pages on Facebook you - and others - might be interested: The European Court ruled this week that they are deemed as "data processing agents" in technical and responsible ways in cooperation with Facebook.
Meaning, a fan-page which does not inform and ask for consent its subscribers of the various data processing tools the page uses, they are violating the General Data Protection Regulation.

That Facebook's system doesn't offer this particular confirmation of consent for a subscriber doesn't mean the Page administrator, i.e. you, are not responsible. You still are.

The ruling (http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?docid=181773&doclang=EN) this week dealt with a German individual pre-GDPR-case against the fanpage of a rather unimportant regional organisation.

Now, don't shout in despair about such a ruling. What it should mobilize you and your business to do is to ask/force Facebook to give you the system tool for asking for consent. And/or also a tool to disable the data collection and processing of all or parts of the offered parameters.

Remember, you don't even have the tool to keep EU-users out of your fanpage. So you ARE liable for GDPR-violations, whether or not you are located in the EU.

Force Facebook. Ask them to comply with the effing law. Ask them to stop making YOU a criminal.

:)

silv
08-06-2018, 08:19 PM
on the side: is your business' target group identical or close to identical with "women with children in the 32-44 age group"?

I wouldn't be too surprised if Facebook deliberately falsified statistics to make and keep your business a satisfied customer.

silv
08-06-2018, 08:27 PM
#66 Nikolas "I use an adblocker and never SEE ads so why would I give a rats arse?"

Because your tracked data is still collected, psychologically and financially profiled, and sold and re-sold to other players.

So for example - once the banking system in Australia is fixed ;) and you apply for a mortgage but don't get one... your browsing profile might well have something to do with that.
Or, if you were US american and your health insurance suddenly ups your premium - it might well have to do with the fact that you subscribed to a Mount Everest fanpage on Facebook.

And so on. And that's only the effect on your personal economics. There's also the "benefit" for state agencies which can obtain the data pool and some stupid agent draws conclusions that make you a terrorist or something.

You as an individual are vulnerable in so many ways when your personal data is on sale.

Nikolas
08-06-2018, 09:25 PM
pfffft there's nothing in it imho as for banking profile i'm too old to get a loan now not that i want to loan anything not a us citizen don't give a rats unless they like bad jokes
you are really drawing a long bow here

Nikolas
08-06-2018, 09:27 PM
They can see that all they want. Tin foil brigade some of you

silv
08-06-2018, 10:37 PM
if you're too old... do you have grand kids or grand-nieces/nephews?
It might just be that your not giving a rat's ass causes them and their generation to be manipulated and wrongly categorized :) And that the society will no longer be viable for independent individuals who don't give a rat's ass. People will begin to control themselves and their behaviour proactively. No more naked dancing in the living room and singing at the top of your voice - for fear the mortgage and health insurance could rise.

dpastern
09-06-2018, 12:08 AM
Oh Annette - what a breath of fresh logic you've provided! I enjoyed your factual posts.

tchus

Nikolas
09-06-2018, 12:46 AM
Tin foil hats for all Murdoch is winning because of alarmist crap and some of you are swallowing it up.

dpastern
09-06-2018, 12:53 AM
Take the time to watch the entirety of the Noam Chomsky video that I posted in another thread Nikolas. It's not alarmist at all.

silv
09-06-2018, 05:06 AM
Non-users have a Facebook profile, too. Non-users are tracked, their device and browser "fingerprinted", de-anonymized and data pooled with other sources by Facebook, too.
Every webpage that shows a social media "Like" or "share" button notifies Facebook of your visit. Regardless of whether you're a user or not.
"Facebook pixel" is another tracker but invisible to a web visitor.

And if you have been a user but "deleted" your profile, only the official part of that profile has gotten deleted. The big rest they had collected on you, the advertising relevant part of your browsing habits, your financial status etc. stays on their servers and is continuously used and added to by Facebook and their business partners.

These are no conspiracy theories; Zucki admitted it in the hearings before Congress and Senate.

And it's against the new EU GDPR.
And it's going to violate the new e-privacy regulation of which 2 drafts are currently in discussion behind closed EU doors - bigly lobbied against by Facebook & Co., newspapers, and everyone who believes that surveillance, profiling and micro-targeting, i.e. manipulating people on the very individual level is the "new oil".

silv
09-06-2018, 05:20 AM
Dave "tchus" at the end of your post makes the preceding sentence sound sarcastic. And "tchus" then could also be interpreted as "delete yourself".
Is that intentional? If you were German I'd say it is intentional ;) but an Aussi isn't usually that rude so I better ask and get a chance to verify or amend my nationalism/racism regarding Aussi's politeness.

LewisM
09-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Alarmist enough for a full Senate enquiry costing millions in the USA...

Enough for the Australian government to expend MILLIONS of dollars on helping prevent against the government systems?

I suggested reading the ASD guidelines a few posts ago. The ASD is the Australian Signals Directorate - basically, cyber security on steroids in Australia. I'd suggest at a minimum following and adhering to many of their Essential 8. There is PLENTY of reading on their website for anyone interested in FACT, not crap. Here is a primer for you: https://www.asd.gov.au/publications/protect/essential-eight-maturity-model.htm

LewisM
09-06-2018, 09:25 AM
Tsk Tsk Dave, for Northern Germans you need to use tschüß. (I can say that, my lineage is from Lübeck, very close to Rostock :) :thumbsup:) Better still, just use auf Wiedersehen to alleviate misconceptions, but that too can seem sarcastic.

Now, Annette, Aussi??? I do not think Dave is an East German. :)

I vividly recall being in Berlin in 1989 and 1990...everywhere we heard people talking about Aussi's... to the point my father went into a bank to change some traveller's cheques (remember those :lol:) and the cashier saying/asking "Du bist Aussi?". My father replied, in his schoolboy German, Ja. She then started to give him EXTRA money, to which he was bewildered. Someone finally explained to him what it meant - the West German (or Reunified) government was dolling out money to East Germans...he had to give it back :)

multiweb
09-06-2018, 09:25 AM
No tin foil at all. I just know how it's done.

LewisM
09-06-2018, 09:36 AM
Yup and yup.

What we were led to believe were conspiracy theories (incidentally, a term the CIA coined) 20 years ago are now well proven fact.

LewisM
09-06-2018, 09:38 AM
If you insist on adhering to the Ostrich Syndrome, I suggest putting on a tin foil beenie before inserting said head in the sand.

Nikolas
09-06-2018, 09:46 AM
Watched it and not convinced. If you don't want your data tracked get off the internet altogether, it's not just social media, it's every web search, etc etc etc. Even here on this forum you are datamined.

Nikolas
09-06-2018, 09:50 AM
The senate inquiry showed how out of touch these senators are, did you see what questions they were asking him? They are clueless.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/4/10/17222062/mark-zuckerberg-testimony-graham-facebook-regulations

And one even from Murdoch press
https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/security/craziest-moments-in-senate-grilling-of-mark-zuckerberg/news-story/b8df76b4e9b67c0becaa8999ead3e5fa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vL4HLTZQ_Q

Nikolas
09-06-2018, 09:52 AM
And?

You are now on the cia hit list because you know what they don't want you to know, oh crap I just mentioned cia that means I'm done for too.
sheesh.....

AndrewJ
09-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Gday Nik

Dont disagree, but its relatively raw data, and a relatively small dataset.
FB has specialised in linking the data "and people", thus making it hundreds of times more useful, esp as they report now having over 2billion users signed up, and probably a similar no hoovered up along the way.
Selling that sort of stuff to the chinese etc, is what i am more concerned with, vs say the council selling the dog register to the petfood companies.

Andrew

multiweb
09-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Look, you're free to believe what you want, there is nothing sinister here, nothing covert, it's just the way things work. Data leads to sales. Period.

Hi Andrew, all the data is raw. Every bit of data counts and adds up. IIS is a public forum. What we're discussing here right now gets picked up by Google bot almost on an hourly basis and gets indexed. Discrete pieces of information might not make sense, but when you get enough of them together you can correlate and get something out of it as the big picture starts forming. The technology and algos involved are pretty cool really. How it gets used is up to individuals. Privacy is a dinosaur in the digital age.

AndrewJ
09-06-2018, 11:51 AM
Gday Marc
I understand its all being collected and indexed, but FB has far more backroom processing going on than most of the other sites, and from what i understood of the info the other day, FB was selling the processed data ( as its more profitable ).

Or possibly Governments???
I always remembered that when working with software development and data, getting it to do what you want was about 10% of the effort.
Preventing it being misused was 90%.

Andrew

Nikolas
09-06-2018, 12:15 PM
That's what I've been trying to say, it's all about target advertising, aimed at me who won't see the ads due to adblockers so it's wasted on themk, all the conspiracy theories some here have gone on about is over the top, hence my scepticism about sinister connotations.

Striker
09-06-2018, 12:50 PM
I use Facebook to run my Snap Photography Brisbane group, couldn't live with out it. 1500 members now...lol

dpastern
09-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Annette- the tchus was meant as a polite goodbye, nothing more! I'm Australian, but my dad was born in the Vaterland (Duesseldorf).

dpastern
09-06-2018, 02:17 PM
I'm too lazy to spell German correctly lol. Sorry! I find auf wiedersehen just too informal and dry and much prefer tchus for a more personal touch. :)

PS my German spelling sucks anyway lol.

alan meehan
09-06-2018, 02:35 PM
this will get all those data collectors send them this then we will have one big file

LewisM
09-06-2018, 03:16 PM
That guy has acne craters :lol:

Stonius
09-06-2018, 03:29 PM
The grand irony is that we live in a world where corporations demand our personal data for security reasons, which they then fail to keep secure. I'm talking more about the inevitable hacks and data breaches that every company and government department is prone to, rather than FB where people have willingly given up their security. But then it's amazing what people can find out if they really want to even without recourse to Mr Zuckerberg.

I just find it strange that companies demand secret information for security, then store that information in vast databases which will inevitably be hacked. It makes the integrity of the process useless and therefore, meaningless.

'Personal information' isn't worth anything anymore from a security standpoint.

But you can't just generate a new birthdate and start fresh, can you? It's a bit of a crisis, IMO.

Markus

redbeard
09-06-2018, 04:15 PM
+1 :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Damien.

multiweb
09-06-2018, 04:19 PM
It is getting increasingly cheaper to process data because the models that were once optimised by humans are now done by machines and not surprisingly more efficiently, faster and more reliably. I don't know the numbers for 2017 or 2018 but taking a base line in 2015, 2016 efficiency was already 80% up from the previous year with what they call deep learning. It is quite CPU intensive but there are services providing server farms for hire to crunch the numbers, a bit like rendering farms for the movie industry.

AndrewJ
09-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Gday Marc
Fully understood, but again, you need massive data, and who better than FB to give it to you.
The EU has just brought in laws that may help curb some of that, but as per above, having data collated "for good" is 10%, and blocking misuse is a bit harder, esp when the owner of the company is the one selling it off behind everyones backs.
Interesting why Snowden and Assange are pariahs for making private data freely available, but Suckerberg is still not being attacked, ( other than a slap on the cheek with a wet lettuce )
I guess it comes down to whos privacy was exposed??????

Andrew

multiweb
09-06-2018, 06:08 PM
Google collects far more data than anybody else. I think FB is the scapegoat atm. The internet is a digital medium. There is far more data collected by browsers (chrome comes to mind) than posting on FB IMO. Everything is online nowadays. Even software subscriptions are moving to a monthly pay per use model. Operating systems update online. Banking is done online. When we become cashless that will be the last step. Every aspect of your life will to some extent require you to go online, so very easy to monitor and control. Unless you live in a cave and cut yourself off from the world and go off grid. But who would live like that? We'll just get used to the way things are.

silv
09-06-2018, 06:29 PM
not downplaying the Google accumulation of data. But

"posting on FB"

is NOT what the FB data trove consists of. Let me repeat #78.

AndrewJ
09-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Gday Marc

Thats cos they got caught:lol:

Not for me, ( at least not yet )
I see a big future for bartering, and its already starting in many areas.

That is a politicians ( and data miners ) wet dream.

Humans being humans will find a way around that for lots of things tho.
Bitcoin and its derivatives will bring back some anonymity.

I take it you dont watch "Doomsday Preppers" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Andrew

silv
09-06-2018, 06:38 PM
what we have right now is a 10, 15 year old crime culture.

Because of its young age it's not hopeless to curb it now.
There is no reason to say "It's been like this forever and it's not going to change."

It's like the times of pre-historic tribes, ruthlessly killing, raping, enslaving weaker tribes.
We just need a "Code of Hammurabi"-moment - the first known written legislation by mankind in which theft was punished with amputation.

multiweb
09-06-2018, 07:23 PM
:lol: All jokes aside the next CME will take care of all this fuss in the news and send us back to horses and carriages. I was at a seminar at Space Weather last year in Sydney which is a branch of the BoM. What he was saying scared the sh!t out of me talking about recorded events since the 1800s and knowing how many close calls we had recently. Our current technology is extremely vulnerable to it and Our reliance on it will be our doom. The chaos would be pretty ugly and the recovery time counted in years for very basic services, power grid, water, food distribution, protection... So data privacy seems all the way down the list.