PDA

View Full Version here: : Some things about the EQ6

Doug
23-01-2007, 04:27 PM
g__day , on another thread wrote:
The V3 controller does have some bugs in it however they are not major issues. Even Sirius disappearing from the list of objects has an easy work around. I don't personally know if this bug affects other stars as well, but the work around probably will work on these too.
Many other issues are more to do with design rather than bugs, if by bugs we mean annoying things that happen that are not supposed to. Being used to the Meade classic, I can identify many things that seem to be missing in the V3 controller like Synching to an object and not keeping time after power down. If the V3 was not designed for these, then they are not bugs.
Sometimes I have neglected to release the controller from guiding when slewing to a new object and found two different things can happen.
1. The mount goes part way and stops; 2. the tracking stops. (bu#$#@#) the only cure I have found so far is to park and initiate a fresh go to. Not a bug, my forgetfulness.
As far as I know, (still experimenting) the only reason I need to do a 1 star alignment is to get the tracking running. I should get it running by just selecting tracking and clicking on siderial, not sure yet. From power up, the Eq6 is capable of putting Sirius on to a webcam chip, no sweat.
Good goto mount for the money.

Netwolf is concerned:
If you are thinking of a goto Eq mount then read on.
Most of my southern sky is hidden by a massive (and getting bigger) Cyprus Pine. People seem to forget, or not appreciate the power of 'Goto'. A goto mount can be successfully used without the need of a polar scope or even being able to see Sigma Octantis.
My mount is set on a pier, so sure, it saves me a lot of trouble, however I'd think that using the goto function to find south each time would still be better than a motorised dob, besides I didn't set mine up with any reliance whatsoever on seeing the SCP.:thumbsup: ...........there are alternatives for the fertile mind armed with a perspex disc and a smallish bubble level or even a spirit level.
I started to reply on the other thread, then realised I was getting too far off topic, hence this new thread:)

Doug

ving
23-01-2007, 04:40 PM
hi doug, :)

thanks for that write up.... I find that i can do a rough align to south and level teh mount and my goto works fine (talking about heq5 synscan). i have yet to use teh polar alignment scope...

that said, if you want acurate tracking you do need excellent alignment.
so netwolf, might as well go teh eq mate :)

netwolf
23-01-2007, 10:06 PM
I am waiting on some pricing for the dob motorization kit before I make my decision. Still I am at least a paycheck and a half away from purchase. Unless I dip into my emergency savings.
Regards

netwolf
23-01-2007, 10:11 PM
And a motorised dob can do wonders. Now that field rotation can be compensated in software. My only fear is the carpentary and tool work required. Thinking of geting an alternative base built similar to the one Rob made. Then again maybe a second hand EQ6 might turn up or I might win the lottery and get the Parramount or an Anssen Atika mount.

Doug
23-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Fine fahim, if that is the way you want to go. I think you only get about one hour out of a dob platform before you need to reset it, but I might be wrong.
good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Doug

ballaratdragons
23-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Fahim,

Dave47Tuc has his EQ6 & V.3 for sale at a great price. I have seen this mount in use at camp and it ran faultlessly. He was using the Meade DSI and it put objects dead centre.

And he keeps it in mint condition :thumbsup:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=184707#post184707

netwolf
23-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi Ken,

Dave has withdrawn his mount, I did make an offer somewhat less than he asked, well you cant blame me for trying. Anyways Dave was surprised by his mounts performance at lostock and is keeping it.

I am not having much luck buying stuff at present, it seem what ever I am prepared to buy either gets sold or taken of the market.

Regards

ballaratdragons
23-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Ahhh, OK, sorry Fahim. I didn't know that Dave is keeping his. It's not in his thread.

Keep looking, I did, and got what I wanted thanks to Houghy :thumbsup:

g__day
23-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I've always imagined that an EQ6 would be a very good, high weight capacity, low cost mount. It was staff at Andrews (not Lee himself - he was out) that expressed their views clearly to me.

I've heard rumours of error but I'd love to see a complete list of all concerns matched to what the software developers are doing to address the situation.

iceman
24-01-2007, 06:19 AM
If you use an EQ platform (not a motorised alt/az driver), then you don't get field rotation (if doing photography).

But yes, it still has to be reset every 40-50 minutes. That's not usually a concern for planetary/lunar photography unless you plan on making an animation or mosaic, in which case you'd need to rotate the webcam to match (after you've reset the platform), or rotate it in software in post.

ving
24-01-2007, 10:10 AM
how about dob driver? ( i think thats what its called)

bojan
24-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Fahim, take a look at Mel Bartels website if you have not done so already.. (I know I am repeating myself.. but I can not but admire that guy, he has done so much for amateur astronomy that he simply can not be avoided in any discussion like this one :-)
http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/BBAstroDesigns.html#Computer_Operat ed_Telescopes

Dave47tuc
24-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi,
This is not so. Our wires have been x. The mount is for sale. As in the ad

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=16528

I withdraw my offer to sell at a price drop. I did not go to Lostock!!

My mount preforms very well and has a V3 controller and any bugs where small and have been sorted.:thumbsup:

Sorry for any mix up. Pm me for any other details. Thanks.:)

netwolf
24-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Sorry Dave, I got confused and thought you had withdrawn. Thats ok. Still outside my budget for the present. If its still available when I have saved a few more pennys then I will make another offer. Thanks.

Doug
24-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Are Laybys accepted?;)

netwolf
25-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I love layby's but anyways, I am going to wait and see how Mike's EQ6 works out for him, I know another member sold of his GSO 10" Newt (as it was a little long) and bought a Celestron 10" newt. I am also looking at the second hand SCT market. As I am seriously reviewing portability, the dob really is nice and I will probably keep it as a dob, but a more portable 8" SCT maybe more appropriate for me I think. I have seen several come up overseas for bellow a 1000$ so this is within my budget.

Regards
Fahim

Scorpius
26-01-2007, 09:05 AM
The Dob EQ platforms have an approximate travel of 12 inches or 15 degrees which gives you 1 hour before having to rewind.