PDA

View Full Version here: : Corona Australis region.

Retrograde
06-06-2018, 12:01 PM
I've never attempted imaging this region before so had little idea how to frame it properly and (as per the previous image) I was reduced to framing on the rear screen of the DSLR after a self-inflicted cable failure. Taken at SPSP last month.

I've since realised how massive this region is and it will need several frames to capture it all. So it's not poorly framed but part 1 of a mosaic! :lol:

17 x 5 minute sub-exposures at ISO 400 - Modded Pentax K-5iis attached to the AT65EDQ. Comments and critiques welcome as always. :)

Larger version here:
https://www.astrobin.com/full/350031/B/

multiweb
06-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Looks pretty good Pete. :thumbsup: TBH I've never seen that part because it's probably the other end that's imaged more often. Must admit I had no idea the nebulosity still extended that far either. Nice field.

LewisM
06-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Yeah...my first real mosaic plan is the ENTIRE area - got the usual bit, now need the other 8 panels :lol:

Atmos
06-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Very nice :)
I’m planning on hitting this later on in the season where I’ll be mosaicing the whole area. Gonna beat me to it Lewis? ;)

Given that you’re already at near 2 degrees in area, it’s goijg to have to be a fair decent mosaic!

Jeff
06-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Lovely! :thumbsup:

Rises a bit late for me in cold Melbourne, so hope to hit this in another month or so.

:cold:

Retrograde
07-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Thanks Marc. There's always something up there to surprise us. :)

:lol: Only 8 more panels with the baby Q? This thing is BIG.

Thanks Colin.
I've got around 3 degrees of sky here with the little 65mm Astro-tech and I probably need at least another three panels. With my less than prolific imaging output I'll probably add a panel in 2019, then another in 2020... :rofl:
Maybe I should've used the 135mm lens instead? :shrug:

Thanks Jeff!
I'm sure it will be toasty and warm in Melbourne at 10pm in July :D
Looking forward to seeing your take on it.

RickS
07-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Looks great, Pete! Are you coming up for the Qld Astrofest? Would be a good opportunity to do some more panels :lol:

cometcatcher
07-06-2018, 10:29 PM
That's excellent Pete! So sharp. Modded Pentax K5-IIs looks like a formidable camera. I have the standard K5.

Retrograde
08-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Thanks Rick. I wish I was coming up for Astrofest (after missing out because of the USA eclipse last year) but it looks like our house build will be finished about then so we'll be moving and doing too many things.

Thanks Kevin!
Pretty happy with the modded K-5iis (I also have a standard k-5). You may already know this but the K-5iis is just an updated K-5 without the anti-aliasing filter. So in theory it should be sharper than the K-5 for astro but I've never had time to do a back to back test with both cameras on the same object to see if it really is.

gregbradley
08-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Nice image. I like it.

I have an AT65ED. I should get the flattener.

Greg.

Slawomir
08-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Looks like a quite capable scope-camera combo - I really like the wide field and the mosaic has been neatly stitched together :thumbsup:

Retrograde
10-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Thanks Greg!

I'm guessing yours is a different version of the AT65? Mine has the flattener built in.

Cheers Suavi - I'm pretty happy with it as a wide-field solution (despite still not having the tilt completely eradicated).
No stitching yet though - the mosaic is just a plan at this stage. :thumbsup:

RickS
11-06-2018, 09:14 AM
We'll save a few photons for you for next year, Pete :lol: