05-06-2018, 10:59 PM
Ah, yes quite good!
The CGEM is very smooth as you can see!
Must be guiding on a hot pixel!

:D :rofl:

Atmos
05-06-2018, 11:01 PM
What is your guide exposure time?
I am wondering if you’re guiding a bit too aggressively? The RA looks like it is over compensating and chasing itself.

DJT
05-06-2018, 11:31 PM
Hi
Am with Colin on this. At 100% aggressiveness you are bouncing around. In good seeing it should be no more than 50 to 70 %. If you focus just on RA, you can see from the graph that you are over correcting.

The intent is to make as few corrections as possible so you need to drop your aggressiveness. Also worth upping your guide exposure settings unless you managed to sneak in AO as part of your sponsorship?

Have a look at the resources under ccdWare.com to get some hints on guide settings . Resources, auto guided settings calculator
http://ccdware.com/resources/autoguidercalcv4.cfm

LewisM
06-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Are you getting round stars Logan?

If you are, turn off the graph. If you are not, use the graph to diagnose - what the others have said is spot on.

Lognic04
06-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Jee, just a joke everyone! :D The stars are round,so i dont mind :)

Slawomir
07-06-2018, 07:20 AM
It’s great you are getting round stars Logan :thumbsup:

It is worth keeping in mind though that round stars do not necessarily guarantee precise guiding, but indicate equal excursions in RA and DEC.

I would say round stars with consistently small FWHM are/should be every astrophotographer’s ultimate goal.

LewisM
07-06-2018, 01:43 PM
If I don't dither, my graph is FLAT - all night. If I dither, i get weird spikes (out to about 0.5 arc sec) , but still round stars (actually, tighter than NOT dithering :shrug:)

The end result is all that matters.

ChrisV
07-06-2018, 05:43 PM
Thanks for posting Logan

I was wondering what others might get with a cgem. Mine isn't too far off that but yours looks better than mine.

What exposure time are you using ? I'm finding about 1 sec is best for mine. If I go much shorter it gets very bouncy bouncy. If I go out to 2secs or more it's terrible!!

I'm using an asi290 with a 50mm WO guidescope with 200mm focal length.