PDA

View Full Version here: : Uncooked (yet) Full Moon Lobster Nebula

Slawomir
03-06-2018, 09:38 AM
Hi all,

Just sharing some initial data for the new project.

H-alpha data has been captured over two nights in Proserpine with 105 mm refractor and lightly processed.

Weather and time permitting, will chase OIII and SII over the next few weeks.

I nearly did not bother with setting up because of the moon being quite bright at the moment and because of the proximity of the DSO on the sky to the moon on Friday night.

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/full/349703/0/

Full resolution: https://cdn.astrobin.com/thumbs/bA0MQtlbDAlk_16536x16536_wmhqkGbg.j pg

Thank you for looking!
Suavi

strongmanmike
03-06-2018, 10:08 AM
This is a good object in Ha, so intricate with lots of nooks and crannies, nice. Yes even with really narrowband filters you were doing a bit of thrill seeking with so much Moon nearby :thumbsup:

Mike

Retrograde
03-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Looking good Suavi. Some really nice details there.

Slawomir
03-06-2018, 06:28 PM
Thank you Mike.

It is my first attempt at this DSO, so it has been a nice surprise to see how dynamic and turbulent it is, even in the moonlight. Also, it has been the first time for me to collect 7 hours of data per night - I am loving having unobstructed views on the sky. And lastly, it was the first time for me to notice an asteroid in my data. All in all, a worthwhile exercise in spite of the moon glare :)

Thank you Pete - glad you like it. I tried to cook Ha data very lightly, and hoping for a few more clear nights in the coming weekends.

Geoff45
03-06-2018, 06:35 PM
That's coming along nicely Suavi. Good FOV. Looking forwared to the final version

multiweb
04-06-2018, 02:19 PM
:eyepop: Very tidy! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Placidus
04-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Deep, intricate, and with absolutely pinpoint stars! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Andy01
04-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Nicely framed Suavi, looks a tad soft though.
Maybe consider sharpening it up a tad in the final process.
Should be a winner though! :thumbsup:

multiweb
04-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Tough crowd. :lol:

Slawomir
04-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Glad you like it Geoff. Hopefully will get the rest of the data soon.

Thank you Marc :)

Thank you Mike and Trish. You are setting the bar though with pinpoint stars and 1hr subs!

Thank you Andy for your feedback. I kind of like to just gently process the data, but may experiment with some more confident sharpening as well :thumbsup:

Tough crowd makes one stronger :lol:

Placidus
05-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Suppose God took a photo of some clouds and patchy mist, and some stars between and through the stars. In said image, we should expect that the stars are razor sharp, and if there are two stars very close together on the sky, up to the seeing of say 1.5 or 2 seconds of arc, we should hope to see them as two separate objects. However, the clouds and patchy mist should not have sharp edges. They should look cloudy and misty.

If a supernova then went off to one side of the cloudy mist, that should generate sharp bubble-like shock fronts, and a perfect image would show sharp edges at the shock fronts, but not elsewhere.

I get very puzzled by what folk mean by "it looks a bit soft". Do they mean it is out of focus? Clearly that is not the case here. Do they mean that there is a grey fog across the image? That is certainly not the case here, but if one were photographing actual grey fog, one would expect to see it in the resultant image. Do they mean that there are no sharp edges? In an astronomical image, if the stars are pin-point, that would just mean that there were no shock fronts here. That is not a defect. It is not something to fix.

multiweb
05-06-2018, 07:18 AM
Spot on Mike. :thumbsup: There are always parts of nebulae that are soft and diffuse when other shock fronts or features are a lot sharper. This can be seen very clearlyin eta carina and Orion M42 periphery. If you process the field as a whole without the use of localised sharpening you can see this very obviously.

Slawomir
06-06-2018, 07:11 PM
Thank you Mike and Trish for explaining what should we expect in an astro image if we want to preserve some real nature of nebulae. And thank you Marc for the examples. I tend to be very cautious with noise reduction and any means of highlighting/sharpening features, but sometimes go crazy with the colours :lol:

RickS
06-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Looks great to me, Suavi!

Atmos
06-06-2018, 07:48 PM
I was just looking at your image again and comparing it against some data that I got last night and asking myself why yours has SO MUCH more detail and contrast than mine did. Then I checked that you had 14+ hours against my piddly 45 minutes :lol:

So, for now, yours is my benchmark :thumbsup:

LewisM
06-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Is it cooked yet? I prefer cooked pelmeni to raw :)

Lovely Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. No, I mean H-a, not :lol:

Slawomir
06-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Thank you Rick for encouragement :)

I didn’t expect a good result because data was collected with 90% full moon but in the end it turned out okay :)

Now gathering SII and OIII...

Slawomir
06-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Fingers crossed will finish collecting sufficient amount of narrowband data tonight. It is a big lobster so takes a bit longer to cook :)

strongmanmike
07-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Hey Suavi, when finished this one might look good projected on the side of a big fishing boat....:question:

sorry...:rolleyes: :P

LewisM
07-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Don't come the raw prawn Mike.

I guess you and I can whine - have'nt seen a clear night for a while. Not saying anything about tonight...the jinx will strike!

Slawomir
07-06-2018, 03:55 PM
That's a brilliant idea Mike. Perhaps a high gloss permanent print on a nice fishing dingy that I am yet to buy :)

Hopefully tonight you will have clear skies Lewis.

strongmanmike
07-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Something along these lines...? :question:

The Mighty Lobster

LewisM
07-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Jinxed it, eh Mike. Crud again. 7 days of crud so far.

gregbradley
07-06-2018, 05:27 PM
A very nice Ha of the Lob. Pinpoint stars and great contrast and detail. Impressive.

This can often be a boring object in HaRGB. Perhaps it would be better in Hubble narrowband.

Greg.

Slawomir
07-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Love it!

Sorry to hear that Lewis. I was hoping to get some more non-full moon Ha but conditions are not that great so will have to finish cooking the lobster with what I have.

Thank you Greg. I hope I have enough of O3 and S2 to give the lobster a bit of colour.