PDA

View Full Version here: : Gosford/Wyong Campsite ???

Kunama
27-05-2018, 06:18 PM
I am heading off for a little trip around central NSW tomorrow and need some advice as to where one can set up a camp for the night in the Gosford/Wyong area.

We're travelling in a motorhome and have 2 puppies with us so it can't be in a National Park.... Fully self contained, just need about 20 square metres of level ground for the evening.... :question:

Nice quiet area preferred.... I'm taking the little FOA60 and some binoculars for a little lunar viewing as well... :help:

(will also be visiting Bulahdelah, Kurri Kurri, Merriwa, Coonabarabran, Mudgee, Bathurst etc)

Cheers,
Matt

Wavytone
27-05-2018, 08:20 PM
You could camp at frazers at wybung head, quite a pretty spot. Inland is harder unless you are keen on the hunter valley wineries in which case one place is Broke, on the banks of the Wollombi river, at McNamara Park.

Putty Beach (killcare) is possible but I don’t like the look of it and wouldn’t camp there, too isolated.

Kunama
27-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Thank Wavy, but we have two dogs travelling with us so Nat Parks are a problem...

Wavytone
27-05-2018, 08:38 PM
Plenty of holiday parks in the area.

If it were easy to find a free spot half the central coast would rent out their houses on Air BnB and live in caravans.

McNamara Park isn’t a National Park. It’s a big paddock privately owned on the riverbank. Main attraction is the local pub (its good) followed by a lot of serious wineries minutes away.

Lunch at Broke is a Sunday drive for sydneysiders.

Kunama
27-05-2018, 08:43 PM
I might end up driving up to Mangrove Mtn and camp by the roadside, only need some level ground.... Thanks for the tip of McNamara Park, that might be good for Wednesday night:thumbsup:

glend
27-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Why not consider "The Pines" campground in the Olney State Forest just up Watagan Road in the Watagans behind Coorangbong, turn at Martinsville. Being a state forest you should be Ok with the dogs, but dont' let them roam around as they have been baiting up that way in recent years. There are some open sky sites I believe. Its pretty there, but to be avoided during school holiday's when the dirt bike people move in.

http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=520

Kunama
27-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Thanks Glen, looks good for Tuesday night :thumbsup: The dogs will be on leash at all times.

Allan_L
01-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Frazers is no dogs as well.
Agree Watagans is a good idea, and free.
But not sure roads are motorhome friendly.
Jo wont let me take our motorhome up there.
But there are more than one road in and only one is questionable.

There is an unofficial place on wyong river near the boat ramp at Tacoma.
It is a great spot, but not officially a camp but people camp there occassionally and I take my motorhome there regularly for lunch picnics.

Another suggestion is the Bunnings carpark at Tuggerah. People camp there sometimes too.

Or you can park on the street in front of my place. Quiet street on Tuggerah Lake. We are away at the moment, but that's no problem.
PM me for the address.
Allan

Suzy
01-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Enjoy your trip Matt, love your motorhome :)

Kunama
02-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Hi Allan, Thanks :thumbsup: We ended up staying an extra night at Kurri Kurri. The showground there is great, level area with water etc, free site.

At Bulahdelah the campsite filled up very early but all were well behaved :D

We then headed west to Cassillis Tops Rest Area before heading down to Mudgee, Lithgow, Bathurst, Oberon, Wombeyan Caves ......

Now heading southwest............

Cheers,
Matt

Kunama
02-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Thanks Suzy, this trip is a bit of a recce for future trips northwards ...

I managed to get the littlest Takahashi out for a few hours. The FOA60 is the little Tak that could.... On Tuesday evening (I think it was Tuesday:question:) I watched Jupiter and could see the NEB, SEB, NTB, GRS, 3 moons and a little black spot that I followed for a while, I think it was the shadow of Io..... (60mm at 151x)

Suzy
02-06-2018, 09:36 AM
I’ll never forget my first shadow transit on Jupiter..... it was the most annoying speck of dirt which I couldn’t get rid of, I was so cranky. Doh... eventually worked it out :rolleyes::screwy:

Kunama
02-06-2018, 11:05 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

Allan_L
03-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Yes Cassillis rest area is a great free camp. Stayed there just 5 weeks ago.
We headed SW as well and found the best ever free camp at Condoblin. Some lake. Free hot showers. Dark.

Found it: Gum Bend Lake.
Don't tell anyone!