PDA

View Full Version here: : Impatient Trifid

kosborn
26-05-2018, 02:59 PM
I set out with the best intentions of getting really long integration times but just seem to get impatient. I intended to get 9 hours on the Trifid Nebula (and hopefully still will) but this is well short. I expected to get it finished last night but fog came in around 1:30am which put a stop to that. I just needed to take a peek at what I have so far so this is 22x 300sec each for Ha, OIII and SII (cropped). Even with that amount of time I've pushed the processing so much there is noise around the edges. I've seen much better examples on Astrobin with less integration so maybe it's my processing that's off? The Ha is really strong so maybe tonight I will get another hour each for OIII and SII and see how it looks...

Suggestions on integration and processing welcome! If anyone wants to have a go at the data and show me how it should be done just let me know and I'll make it available.

Kevin

kosborn
26-05-2018, 03:48 PM
Maybe it's just choice of palette. To get Hubble colours I have to dial the green hydrogen way down (and lose signal). This version doesn't show the reflection nebula as well but there's much more signal....

xelasnave
26-05-2018, 03:52 PM
I nailed it the other night with a very short exposure.
Its such a nice object.
Well done.
alex

kosborn
26-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Thanks Alex. That sounds like a really good argument for not going narrowband!! ;)

Kevin

raymo
26-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Kevin, with bright objects like this one, at my level of AP, in the mud at the bottom of the pond, I just take a few short subs and have a dark background
to make the object stand out. I have attached an example. If you think I am
hijacking your thread I will happily remove it immediately.
6x30secs 8"Newt 1100D ISO1600. Stacked and basic processing in DSS.
No further processing.
raymo

kosborn
26-05-2018, 05:28 PM
What a great capture! I may have given myself too many variables to deal with at once with the narrowband captures and the complexity of the Hubble palette in PixInsight. Maybe I should go back to dslr... I like the extra reach of your 8" Newt too. Mine is just a tight crop from 550mm focal length.

Kevin

xelasnave
26-05-2018, 06:56 PM
Good one Raymo.
Kevin its like golf you must have a tribe of scopes covering all focal lengths.
I do like my 8 inch its 1000 mm fl and I have yet to adjust the optics so I assume there may be more in it unless it is perfect from the factory...but nice and cheap..
Alex

xelasnave
26-05-2018, 06:59 PM
It was not flash...more in the nature of testing gear and it was in the right area.
I want to try the Eagle Nebula it is such a classic given Hubbles pillars of creation image everywhere and on everything.
Alex

raymo
27-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Hi Kevin and Alex, I've already hijacked this thread once, so I might as well
do it again as this second image is relevant to Alex's comments. Its another
example of short subs and a dark background.
8x30secs same scope, same camera and ISO. Best viewed at 50% screen.