PDA

View Full Version here: : Buying an ipad-advice sought

hotspur
26-05-2018, 09:46 AM
On a work assignment in the Tanami Desert and the company has given me an ipad,I have never used or owned one before but its a very useful tool,the ap for the work is good and due to the large amount of K's covered gives me a real time map and locations of all the sets in the field.

So now I want my own,I have noticed these ipads are good for astro programs etc.

What are some specs I need to consider? what types would be best? how much too spend? A fellow IIS mentioned he had one around $500 ish. I really have little idea on how to proceed on this so hopefully someone tech minded can advise-thanks

Wavytone
26-05-2018, 05:04 PM
The must-have astro app is Sky Safari, though there are many others. It will run on just about any recent iPad, compatibility isn’t an issue.

Buy one with a SIM card and GPS, you will want these for sure.

Size... big question ... I quite like the iPad Mini.

hotspur
26-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Yes-thanks-seen that sky safari pro-wow-that really is amazing! will get that!

Yes-will make sure it has the points you mention-I need GPS for all this extra work I am getting interstate.I do over 100 K's a day out in the mulga and its amazing how it pin points locations and guides me to all of them

OzEclipse
26-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Size really depends on your other technology. I have the small Apple iPhone and a laptop so I didn't want a big iPad so I bought the iPad mini. I use it and Sky Safari with a Skyfi interface to run the GOTO on my mount.

My polarfleece jacket has xtra large pockets. The iPad mini fits into theses pockets.

There are a number of other really useful apps.
Time by Emerald bounces signals off several network time servers and gives time accurate to about 1ms with a display and audible beeping.

Spyglass is a digital compass. It has true bearing readouts and will superimpose the compass protractor over the camera image.

There are also clinometer programs and numerous other apps.

Physical size is really personal preference.
Make sure you buy enough memory for all your apps.
There are models with wifi only or models with their own built in mobile broadband sim card slot. This adds a fair bit to the cost. I bought one with that option and now regret it because I seem have a wifi signal from another source everywhere I use it.

Joe

hotspur
26-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Ok Joe thanks for all that-sounds useful and will consider all this helpful advice

astro744
27-05-2018, 04:54 AM
For business use yes get the GPS version, otherwise if you have an IPhone you can pair the two and create a hot spot on your phone for your non-gps iPad to use. Works great!

The very first iPad in our household was my wife's and she got the GPS version and we got a 30 day SIM card and it worked great for maps on the road and browsing in the car on a long trip. However at home you only need WiFi and 6 months later she got the iPhone and was able to use Hotspot when on the road. This way we don't pay for an extra Sim plan just for the iPad but can of course use monthly data sims; it's just not needed with WiFi at home and hotspot remotely off the phone.

Not sure if you can hotspot with a non Apple pair but it definitely works between an iPad and iPhone. There is a one time password share and then it's as simple as turning on the hotspot on your phone. Note your phone will be visible to other nearby users but they need the password to get on your network.

A further note; check with your internet service provider to ensure that hotspot is available on your plan. It won't work if the feature is disabled or not in your payment plan.

Of course if you can afford the cellular version and the cost of running an extra sim, just go for it. Even if you don't get the sim you have that option if you go cellular, it just costs more money which could go toward more memory which always seems to fill up. Absolute minimum get 32gb, 64gb if you can, then consider 128 or 256gb. (They keep changing the offering and always remove the size most people want to entice to go higher).

My 32gb iPad is full and it's mainly apps with a few photos. I have sky safari 6 pro and recently put 5 back on as 6 is unstable on mine even though the hardware and iOS specs are ok. Not impressed with 6 at all!

gaseous
27-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Bear in mind that iOS devices currently don't support running the Skywatcher Synscan Wifi app and Skysafari at the same time - you need to run the Synscan app on your iPhone (with autolock turned off) and run Skysafari (5 plus) on your tablet. I was doing this recently and it was a bit tedious and the tracking wasn't really great. I believe android devices will run both apps on the same device, so I got a Samsung 10a tablet for about $290 which can run both apps simultaneously. Obviously if you're using Skysafari Skyfi this may not be applicable.

OzEclipse
27-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Good advice. Sorry I forgot to mention GPS. Necessary or at least helpful for many astro apps. You can manually enter location details etc but GPS is much more convenient.

Mine is 128GB which seems to be plenty. My understanding is that the iOS uses most of the first 16GB. Consequently they don't sell 16GB models any more. I have a telstra mobile wifi elite that I use as my principal internet access at home and when on the move. The iPad will latch onto that, a myfi network I've setup at work broadcast by my desktop computer, hotel networks or my iphone. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to use a hotspot generated by another brand of phone. So you may not need the sim card model and as astro744 suggested.

Patrrick's post reminded me of a couple of things. My mount isn't a Skywatcher so I can't use the SW app anyway. I use SkySafari and Skyfi. The big disadvantage of this is that SkySafari only allows a one star alignment. It has no 2 or 3 star alignment routines. Consequently, the mount needs to be quite well aligned for GOTO to work properly or you need to slew to an easy target nearby then synchronize to that star in that part of the sky.

Joe

hotspur
27-05-2018, 02:53 PM
ok thanks all, starting to get an idea what to look for-the GPS is essential -this one I have in my hands out here in Tanami desert allows me to work well and guide me to all my locations.

Seems space on them is an important thing-think an up size from 32 GB would be best.

LewisM
27-05-2018, 03:24 PM
I tried driving my Vixen SXP with Skysafari and a WiFi adaptor. Works really well but oddly tracks poorly. Using the Starbook TEN alone conversely tracks absolutely precisely . There seems to be a conflict of some nature, perhaps like as mentioned with Synscan. I stopped using it as Starbook does everything SkySafari does (only better). I didn’t find the wireless control of any benefit whatsoever.

I now only use SkySafari for its coordinates of odd targets. No other use for me. Worth the money? Yes.

I have not tried SkySafari with my Synscan GPD as yet but might in the future. I again am not seeing the benefit of it so no rush

astro744
27-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Yes 32GB absolute minimum but it will get you by. My iPhone and iPad mini are both that and whilst my phone has 50% capacity my iPad has 600MB.

Apple are very clever in their marketing and device offering enticing you to spend more for much more storage but also knowing many will opt to buy the minimal storage device and upgrade sooner rather than later.

Offerings came in 8/32GB then 16/64GB then 32/128GB always leaving out the middle option. Next will be 64/256GB if not already there. If a lack of storage doesn't get you then lack of further iOS upgrades will after a few years. Not everyone can afford to change their iPhone and iPad every year!

They are useful tools though especially when wanting to know what satellite is up for example (GoSatWatch) or what aircraft is up (Flightradar24, unfortunately subscription only now if you don't want the ads and minimal features, luckily I bought the paid version a few years back). PhotoPills is fantastic for photo planning and the The Elements and Elements in Action is great for fascinating facts about the periodic table. You will find Apps a plenty once you get a device.

Sky Safari is great but I am having trouble with 6 being unstable on my iPad but OK on my phone. I prefer 5 pro. Stellarium app is nice too for only a few dollars. You can get a free taste of Sky Safari with the Celestron Sky Portal app.

Enjoy!

Wavytone
27-05-2018, 04:07 PM
We've always bought the top spec one with everything - for the simple reason they've lasted 6+ years.

No point buying the entry one then replacing it a year later when you figure out you actually needed it. Same with mac's, too.

gaseous
28-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Not that I'm a huge supporter of either apple or samsung, but the samsung tablet storage can be expanded to 256gb (or thereabouts) with a micro sd card.

Suzy
30-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Hi Chris, my ipad easily hotspots to my Samsung Galaxy phone.
I recently purchased my first ipad, mainly to replace my ipod. I decided to get 128G which cost $600. I opted for the larger memory for some 7,000+ songs dragged over from my now dead ipod. It's doing well so far with memory and other apps, pics etc. I wirelessly send my music from it to my Yamaha amp using the little Yamaha Music Cast box (incredible performance)- I love it! Ending up going this way as Yamaha no longer sell ipod docks for their amps.

hotspur
31-05-2018, 10:17 PM
ok thanks all-will be now have a better idea what to look for when I ever get out of this Tanami desert-they given me a company one and its going well for the daily inspections in this vast place.Really never ever used one before this contract-really makes an amazing difference to be able to pin point a tiny spot and drive to it is amazing.I'm not sure how the phone bit fits into it all-I just have this ipad thing no phone.

sil
01-06-2018, 04:18 PM
iDevices are rock solid stable and most apps once purchased will install on all ones you have, iphone/ipad doesn't matter. If you are tempted by games or all the cool useful apps out there get largest memory you can afford. No need to buy "this years" model either, last years can be bought new still and often better price. The cameras are always good and if you are going to take photos/videos/audio notes etc size will run out fast so consider your needs and choose wisely. the Apple pencil works really well but only on some devices so if that appeals be aware it wont work on all idevices, but there are lesser "pens" that will. Sky safari rules, i use on ipad inside for planning but outside I use it on iphone and smaller screen is not a problem or hinderance. screens are awesome and be careful of brightness settings especially auto adjusting (likewise notifications) these are things that can drain battery fast.

Wavytone
06-06-2018, 11:38 PM
With iPads, the usual solution is to buy a "data-only" SIM card, this gives you internet access, email but no voice calls - and won't work in a mobile phone - iPads only. Interestingly iMessage does work for sending SMS messages, and there's FaceTime and Skype if you're happy to do video calls (voice calls are so last-century, anyway).

The carriers have several pricing models that typically include:

1. Prepaid monthly: you buy a chunk of data valid for a month, when that month is up you have to pay again for the next month, and so-on. Typically this offer 2, 10 or 15GB. This frankly is best suited to foreign tourists, and those who can't make up their minds.

The downside with these is that pretty soon you will accidentally run out of data mid-movie, or in the middle of an important video call to work/wife/kids - and stuck in the middle of nowhere so you cant reach a shop to renew it quickly.

2. Prepaid annual: Buy a really big bucket of data (Telstra used to offer a massive amount for 12 months for $180), renew after 12 months.. When you know you will use the iPad for damn near everything, buy this, its a bargain. This gives a really huge quota so you won't run out when you need it in a pinch, like in the middle of a good movie, video call to work/wife/kids, or a remote control session downloading files from a PC or Mac on the other side of the planet via LogMeIn or TeamView.

This one is usually the best deal - in terms of GB per dollar - and it lasts a year (great, bug me next year)... do whatever you like, go nuts, watch movies whatever to your hearts content; you'll find it pretty much impossible to go through that much data.

3. Postpaid by the gigabyte, if you bundle with say a mobile phone, fixed home landline and internet access on the fixed line... Rates vary and this usually doesn't work out to be so cheap as option 2.

Note: in the iOS settings there is a feature where it monitors how much mobile data you are consuming, and you can also see which apps are consuming it - AND disable their access, AND stop them running in background. This does wonders to cut unnecessary use of (expensive) mobile network data.

To preserve battery life there are several tricks:

1. Turn down the screen brightness one or two notches.

2. Disable apps form using mobile data that frankly shouldn't be accessing the internet. Scrabble, or a calculator, for example.

3. Stop all apps running in background.

4. Stop Mail from running in background, and stop PUSH notifications. The effect of this is that Mail will only check for new mail when you launch it, otherwise it won't. Otherwise the silly thing is phoning home every minute to check for new mail, which is pointless and wasteful of battery power.

5. While you are at it, check which apps want internet access and block all those that don't have a damn good reason.

6. Stop all "notifications" from all apps except incoming phone calls, email and SMS.

Lastly you will be in a remote area and off-net for several hours, turn off WiFi or even put the device in AIRPLANE mode, this stops all wireless (radio) data. It also does wonders for preserving battery life.

Something few understand is that iDevices adjust the strength of their radio transmissions according to how far away a base station is - for example, if a base station is close and reception is "loud and clear", the iDevice will reduce its signal strength to avoid wasting power unnecessarily.

(Which is A Good Thing).

However, if you are in a location where the signal strength is very low - remote country areas, inside lifts, deep basements under layers of concrete, or flying at 5,00 metres or more... In these situations the iDevice will wind up its transmit signal strength to the maximum in order to be heard by the base station. The worst is when it cant find any mobile network nor a WiFi base station - it will use maximum power to repeatedly ping trying to find a network, indefinitely. It's doing the equivalent of shouting " IS ANYONE OUT THERE ?" and getting no reply.

The consequence is battery life will drop fast as the radio transmissions can use a lot of power.

(Which is A Bad Thing).