PDA

View Full Version here: : M8 - First Mono Ha Image - LAGOON NEBULA

AstroBogan
18-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Hi all.

After almost 2 weeks of cloudy nights after purchasing my new camera, last night offered beautiful clear skies so I made the best of it!

Here is my first ever image taken with my new ZWO ASI 1600MM-pro. The Lagoon Nebula in Ha!

20 x 4 minute Ha subs taken with the ZWO ASI 1600MM-pro through a ZWO 31mm 7nm Ha filter through my SW Black Diamond ED80. Super stoked with how this turned out! had to throw out around 10 of the subs as something happened with my guiding and the stars were elongated just for those :(

HIGHLY RECOMMEND to view the higher res images Here (https://astrob.in/347367/0/) and Here (https://astrob.in/347368/0/)

Second image is me just messing around and turning it to an artificial red colour!

Ofcourse I wanted to gather more data but time did not permit me to do so!

any constructive criticism would be much appreciated!

kosborn
18-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Great shot Jacob. I upgraded from DSLR to the same camera a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it - I love the monochome Ha images.

Cheers, Kevin

AstroBogan
18-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Thanks Kevin!

I was so hesitant about upgrading because of how expensive the camera is, but I'm sure you can agree, it makes such a difference compared to using a DSLR and the camera pays for itself :D

xelasnave
19-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Hi Jacob
Great effort so early on with the new camera.
I would like to go narrow band but I generally get only an hour on an object so the thought of gathering data makes me go cold on the idea.
If I was up North permanently I would get narrow band gear immediately...plus a couple of new scopes☺
Alex

AstroBogan
19-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Yeah i'm in the same boat as you, but I still decided to take the plunge :P Can't wait until I buy the full NB set and spend more than a few hours on a target!

multiweb
19-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Your fov looks very good but you're slightly out of focus. If you sort this out you'll be on the money. :thumbsup:

AstroBogan
19-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah about that.. I had it perfectly focused with my bahtinov mask and the bahtinov aid on APT.. I then realised once I packed up that i forgot to lock the focus. I'm assuming it has slipped a little and gone slightly out of focus.

multiweb
20-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Yeah, cold temperature will do that. I had a whole refractor slide down the rings once looking at the zenith. It stopped at the dewshield and was just hanging there.