PDA

View Full Version here: : EZ Collimator

iceman
15-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi guys.

John had an "EZ Collimator" at the mini star party, see here: http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=59&pid=4572&m=96

Anyone know where to get them from in Australia and what they're worth?

It seemed like a great tool, being able to adjust the primary from the back and see the laser until it disappeared, meaning it was spot on.

Better than the back/forth I have to do now through the cheshire.

Any opinions on them?

iceman
15-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Oh and how do they differ from the "normal" laser collimator: aka https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6737

Smokey
15-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Mike....
Here is a link to a "very" basic review on it.
http://www.members.tripod.com/irwincur/ez_collimator.htm

Also a link to the manufacturers website..
http://www.sunflower.com/%7Eclafever/bezt/html/index.html

It looks like a handy little gadget.

iceman
15-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for those links. Although the review leaves a lot to be desired :)

and yeh it was very handy when John used it last weekend.. It looks like the difference between it and the normal laser is being able to view the return dot from the back of the telescope.

US$90 is about AU$110, trying to find out shipping costs.

Exfso
15-04-2005, 10:32 AM
The Orion Lasermate Deluxe does the same thing. Although I would suggest the EZ collimator looks as though it is manufactured to closer tolerances. I find with the lasermate, it is not a snug fit in the focuser and if you rotate it within the focuser, the laser beam rotates on the primary as well. I know that the focuser is aligned correctly to the ota, so this is not an issue.

Thiink
15-04-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm interested depending on costs!

iceman
15-04-2005, 11:03 AM
I got a reply back from EZ-solutions, US$100 including USPS shipping.

So that's ~ AU$123 shipped to your door!

Great price. I think i'll order one on Monday.

slice of heaven
15-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Me TOO!
I'll have 3 newts up and running eventually. I'm fairly happy with the collimation now but to be sure it's precise I need a laser.
Or do I??.....I need something other than startesting. I want to go out and know it's spot on the moment the scopes cooled.
Anybody Know THE BEST collimation device/s.
I know there's a triangle centre spot for the main mirror that helps.
The guys like Bird and John D must have it down pat for imaging on their newts.

This is a subject that needs to be put to rest once and for all.

Slice

ausastronomer
15-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Mike,

BINTEL used to sell them but I think they stopped bringing them in because everyone was going for the standard el-cheapo lasers. Check with Don at BINTEL they may still have 1 or 2 in stock, notwithstanding they are not advertised on their website, about $AUS 100 to 120 I think or thereabouts from BINTEL.

The EZ Collimator is far superior quality to the El-Cheapo units.

Basic differences:-

*The housing is manufactured to tighter tolerances so there is less slop when it's in the focuser, a bit of 2" wide cellotape wrapped around the collimator barrell fixes this problem on the el-cheapos FWIW.
*It has 6 collimation screws so you can collimate the collimator properly
*The laser module inside has a thick metal housing as opposed to plastic, remember that the collimation screws bear onto this surface.
*The entire unit uses superior quality components all round.

Prior to purchasing this unit I have had 2 of the EL-Cheapo units. One lasted 9 months and was returned under warranty and the other conveniently lasted between 15 and 18 months before it decided to die. I wish I hadn't of penny pinched in the 1st place and bought the EZ-collimator straight off, its double the price and about 4 times better IMO.

CS- John B

Starkler
15-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Its still just a laser with all of the deficiencies inherent to a basic laser collimator.

Now if it can be used in barlowed laser mode with the return shadow viewable in the target it would be great.

ving
15-04-2005, 12:46 PM
sounds like a great gadget :)

laser collimators are all red arent they? wouldnt it be great is they made a green laser one too so you could use it as a pointer! :)

ausastronomer
15-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Geoff,

You can use it barlowed, it works just like any other laser, I don't use it like that. I am aware of the deficiencies of a laser and work around that. As your probably aware I am not a great fan of the barlowed laser as it also has deficiencies but they are matters for another thread IMO.

CS-John B

Roger Davis
21-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Sure it's the same as all the others. Sure it's well machined to close tolerances. Sure it looks beautifull! BUT how is the machined tolerance on YOUR focuser? Do you have the GS/Synta type? I have noticed a huge variance on the tolerances of the so called 1.25" focuser. I have had to shim laser collimators to elliminate up to a 0.14mm slop in the focuser barrel. So before you spend $XX on a new collimator, measure your focuser with a digital micrometer to see how close you are to 1.25mm!!

ausastronomer
21-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Roger,

Mike who asked about the Collimater actually has a Moonlite CR-2 focuser so yes its worth an extra $30 or $40 for a decent laser IMO. I am actually about to buy a Feathertouch focuser with the collimateable base for over $AUS 500 and if it has slop in it I am not going to be too happy. FWIW my GS 2" focuser has minimal slop because I shimmed it, but a Feathertouch it aint.

CS-John B

Starkler
21-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Now that this thread has been resurrected, I would love to hear your thoughts on this John.