PDA

View Full Version here: : Nail Guns

xelasnave
15-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Anyone used the Bunnings $500 approx nail gun on hard wood? It says it does hard wood but do they mean tuff pine☺
Or suggestions on a suitable cheap nail gun yhat will do hardwood (not the real old stuff but well seasoned ☺)
Alex

xelasnave
15-05-2018, 10:28 AM
One job is to nail old plastic flooring in the "office" to provide a ceiling..thru the floor panel no problem I expect but its hardwood rafters.
Next job is nailing old house frame timber together for a observatory frame and it would be nice just to nail one to the other and not have to cut in joints.
Alex

Shano592
15-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Hi Alex,

I have 2 guns. One is technically a framing gun that shoots narrow nails, while the other is a coil gun that looks like one of the old Street Sweeper shotguns. It shoots 70mm, full thickness nails.

The nails from the coil gun shatter hardwood. By hardwood, I am thinking ironwood and even merbau. Pine of most varieties seems ok with it though, but I haven't tried it on vintage, well-weathered pine.

The framing gun does ok on merbau, but even with the narrow gauge nails, still breaks a piece from time to time.

Hopefully you don't have to resort to drill-and-screw. It is tedious! I just finished doing about 2800 of them, on my new balcony. Never again.

xelasnave
15-05-2018, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your input Shane.
Alex

speach
16-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Rub the nails, in the clip, on both sides with soap. This is an old chippies trick when seasoned hardwood had to be nailed, BTW it works.

Marke
16-05-2018, 10:47 AM
Although not cheap I invested in a Paslode gas gun and it will punch big nails into just about anything. Bought 6 yrs ago when I built the obs and its still going.

Wavytone
16-05-2018, 08:38 PM
All we need now is a thread on hammers, and call it ... https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com/

Boozlefoot
18-05-2018, 03:00 PM
100% agree speach, same for screws or teks, saves a lot of cursing!