PDA

View Full Version here: : That Dress !

GrahamL
14-05-2018, 10:24 PM
I know this is old now, but never saw it first time round , my wife showed me this white and gold dress today :D and she swears its black and blue i just dont see those colors at all.
I did ok in the hue test a few posts below below , so obviously her brain is damaged somehow, it is white and gold isn't it :D :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

What do you see ?
Relating this back to astronomy a little Do our eyes no matter what lens (scope) we place in front of them have there own wiring diagram to deal with or not whats in front of them ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/5220s8/why_does_healthy_human_eye_have_no_ chromatic/

Multiverse
14-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Yeh, I remember this from a few years back (I see white & gold).
The eyes are just the sensor & we all have just the same model, but our brain is the CPU - all wired differently & we all run slightly different software.

casstony
14-05-2018, 11:00 PM
3 out of 4 in our household see white and gold, the other sees blue and black.

Saturnine
14-05-2018, 11:01 PM
It's just the emporers new clothes all over again, if you believe it enough you'll see it. Remember the dress and the fuss and to me it is white and gold, can't convince me otherwise.

billdan
14-05-2018, 11:12 PM
I see it as white and gold, but wiki article says it is in fact blue and black. So it must be the colour of the light projected onto it, that changes our perception.

Multiverse
14-05-2018, 11:33 PM
Interesting that you can't find anyone who can see both (switching between). Seems we are more hard-wired in this case.
Most can 'see' both points of view with the Necker Cube...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necker_cube

raymo
15-05-2018, 12:40 AM
I also scored 0, and I see the dress as blue and black.
raymo

tlgerdes
15-05-2018, 07:38 AM
It's just a bloody dress! Who cares?

Now if you could do the same trick with a mount or ota, then we might be interested.

AndrewJ
15-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Yep, but its the brain that makes stuff up, not the eyes.
I always liked how the effect of shadows tricks the mind into "interpreting" whats there, especially with colours shades and movement
No 2 from the following link is a classic use of "perceived" lighting
http://twistedsifter.com/2012/05/optical-illusions-made-from-shadows/
( The "hovering" ones are quite good too )
I guess for some people, the same effects could give the colour change seen in the dress trick.
Andrew

Suzy
15-05-2018, 07:29 PM
I see white and gold, I find it hard to believe otherwise :shrug:.

First I heard of this, so interesting.
Regarding the Pascall study though.... I'm a night owl and I don't see it as blue and black.

Multiverse
15-05-2018, 08:27 PM
A study carried out by Schlaffke et al. reported that individuals who saw the dress as white and gold showed increased activity in the frontal and parietal regions of the brain. These areas are thought to be critical in higher cognition activities.[44][45]

Thanks for quoting the above study Suzy,
I'm feeling pretty good about myself now!

GrahamL
15-05-2018, 08:32 PM
I messed with the pic a bit (a lot actually )and showed it to my wife I see it as blue and black easily now and you ?

GrahamL
15-05-2018, 08:42 PM
And when i put the original beside it she was stumped for a few seconds before saying they are similar but the (enhanced one ) is obviously a bit darker , to me they look like nothing like each other .

GrahamL
15-05-2018, 08:52 PM
Indeed Grant I've been telling my family for days now , in summary , that they are in fact all stupid :lol::D

Suzy
16-05-2018, 11:02 AM
:lol::lol::lol: @ Grant & Graham.
Yes I thought it was well worth quoting that section of the study. Came in handy to shut a few people up haha.

Graham, re the pic you just enhanced, yes, I easily see it as blue & black now too. So weird, nothing like the white and gold :eyepop:.

Geee, fancy dealing with that wardrobe stress one week before the wedding especially as it was the brides mother!
Unable to get good advice with what to accessorise with, that's for sure.

LewisM
16-05-2018, 11:55 AM
My wife and eldest daughter both see it as black and blue.

Myself and my youngest daughter both see it as gold and white.

Wussell
16-05-2018, 12:28 PM
I see black and blue :)

AndrewJ
16-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Just to add to the fun, was listening to the last hour of 3AW today and they were playing a man saying a word that got interpreted totally differently by different people.
Some hear "Laurel" but he is supposed to be really saying "Yanny"
Something to do with loss of high freq harmonics that allow the brain to interpet the sound properly???
Have to read up on that as well now :-)
Andrew
No wonder lawyers can have fun in courts convincing people they dont know what they saw/heard

xelasnave
16-05-2018, 01:25 PM
If you hide one section from another ...well just look at the gold it seems to go black for me and for an instant I can see black and blue but it goes back to gold and white for me...then all you see is all the blood.
Alex

OICURMT
16-05-2018, 03:14 PM
At the end of the day, does it really matter? One person's perception is different than someone elses...

If my eyes were sentivive to gamma rays, the universe would look different. Does that mean that it is different?

In some ways, maybe a score of 100 is more desirable...

SkyWatch
16-05-2018, 05:14 PM
It has been done to death, but I see brown (a bit of an ugly "gold"!) and light blue... if you darken it enough (as per GrahamL) it becomes black and blue, so surely it is just a matter of the colour balance being wrong in the original (which was just an amateur snap)? Certainly the dress as depicted by the manufacturer is black and blue.

- and I aced the "hue" test...

and for the record, this is more like black and blue (although I will accept turquoise for the "blue" bit...): https://www.livescience.com/61406-black-hole-bird-of-paradise.html

;)