PDA

View Full Version here: : any difference between "80 ed" and "80 ed pro"

jcdundon
21-01-2007, 02:09 PM
I was just wondering from looking at different online stores. is there any difference between a "skywatcher 80 ed" and the "skywatcher 80 ed pro".

If so what is the major differences and is it worth getting the pro version

ballaratdragons
21-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi jc,

Yes there is a major difference!

The Pro is painted Gold & White. The standard model is Black, dark Blue, or other dark colours.

Optically, none!

UniPol
21-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I have a Saxon 80 ED, Vixen 80 ED and a Skywatcher 80 ED Pro and apart from the paintwork and dewcap fitment, they appear identical and perform equally well. If you look at the Orion 80 ED, it also appears to be similar. The Saxon was only an OTA when I bought it and the 9 x 50 finder, tube rings and dovetail bar were fitted later. I see Bintel have the Skywatcher 80 ED Pro on special for $599 which is great value as it comes with the accessories listed above.

Cheers,

Steve B

jcdundon
21-01-2007, 04:20 PM
no worries, i thought as much. i was just confused as on the bintel site they had both but the picture of the pro had a diagonal, and that was the only difference i could see. there was no price listed for the pro. And then on another site i saw one for 1200 and it was also skywatcher, so i assumed there may be more to it.

http://www.bintel.com.au/SKPRO.htm

https://secure.attl.com.au/bintelshop/Stock/7290X.jpg

ballaratdragons
21-01-2007, 05:00 PM
jc, they are all made in the same factory, painted different colours and then different brand names stuck on them. Skywatcher, Saxon, Orion etc.

The only ED80 not made in the same factory is the Celestron ED80 with has a thinner tube than the others. I don't know anything about the Celestron but I did read in 'Cloudy Nights' that the ED lens comes from the factory that makes the others anyway.

You should be able to get a brand new ED80 for around $599.

Andrews in Sydney has them for $549 if he has any in stock.
Saxon/Skywatcher ED80
80mm x 600mm refractor

$549.00 AUD

ballaratdragons
21-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Just a quick question jc,

Do you intend on using the ED80 visually or for Astrophotography?

The ED80 is not an over exciting scope visually, but for Astropics it is the Bee's Knees!!!!

jcdundon
21-01-2007, 06:20 PM
it is not intended for visual astronomy, i currently have a reflector and i am looking at a second scope to image with.

Thanks for the replies:)