PDA

View Full Version here: : Pixinsight mosaic issues

that_guy
10-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Hey guys, tried my hand at my first mosaic last night, something nice and simple (eta carina). I've also followed the light vortex astronomy tutorial (http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-preparing-a-mosaic.html) down to the letter but still getting a "Error: Current image width differs from first image width." message in the console when I perform the gradient mosaic merge. I've registered individual panels using staralignment (like the tutorial said) and they are all the same resolution and file size. I'm scratching my head over here wondering what i did wrong. Preliminary googling turned up zilch. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Tony

RickS
10-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Hi Tony,

I can't think of a anything likely to cause this apart from a difference in the geometry of the input files. Suggest you check again really carefully. If that doesn't help then upload the files to Dropbox or similar and PM me a link.

Cheers,
Rick.

RickS
10-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for sending me the files. The problem is that your FITS files contain a thumbnail image as well as the main image and that's what is causing GMM to barf. If you open the files and save them again, turning off the tick box that says to include an embedded thumbnail image, then you should be good.

Cheers,
Rick.

that_guy
10-05-2018, 04:41 PM
thats annoying aha, didnt even know that was an option! Works flawlessly now, Thanks heaps rick!

RickS
10-05-2018, 06:15 PM
No problem, Tony. I'd seen the thumbnails before in images from other people but hadn't noticed the option either until I went looking for it :)

sil
11-05-2018, 02:01 PM
thanks for that info Rick, I've had same problem in the past and always save with thumbnails. need to change my ways :)

RickS
11-05-2018, 02:20 PM
The FITS format allows storage of multiple images using the XTENSION keyword but I don't think a lot of tools know what to do if there's more than one. In this case it looks like GMM tries to do a mosaic merge on the thumbnail as well as the primary image. Good to know, anyway :thumbsup: