PDA

View Full Version here: : netflix - Lost in Space (2018)

Kal
26-04-2018, 12:05 PM
I'm sure there would be a few members here who grew up watching the original 1960's series (not me though, I was a little bit later and a Star Trek:TNG fan), nonetheless I was excited to see the series reboot on netflix so I dove in and watched the series.

Unfortunately, this would have to be one of the worst series I have watched in the last 20 years. The main characters are annoying, and always do stupid things to get themselves in trouble, even though they are meant to be "smart" and "brilliant". By the last episode, I was just hoping their stupidity would leave them all dead.

I thought the reboot of Star Trek Discovery was a better series, and I actually enjoyed that.

Wavytone
26-04-2018, 12:21 PM
The original TV Lost in Space series was equally execrable. Every episode had me wishing Dr Zachary Smith would meet an ugly end. Only redeeming feature was an attractive blonde babe clad in a rather politically incorrect uniform.

LewisM
26-04-2018, 12:26 PM
The new one was total Yank garbage. No story, crap acting, unrealistic. Kinda like Trump’s administration actually.

I forced myself to watch it while imaging..made me sleep in between exposure runs/refocus.

Exfso
26-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Yep, I agree, total crud...

blink138
26-04-2018, 01:32 PM
started watching it last week as i got a fab new telly and got netflix, though my enthusiasm is starting to wane.................
pat

blink138
26-04-2018, 01:33 PM
................. not for the telly!!

Startrek
26-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Nothing could replace the 60’s TV series of Lost in Space

“Oh the pain my delicate back”

“You bubble headed booby”

“We are doomed Professor Robinson”

“You ninny “

Just to quote a few classics from that incredible actor Jonathon Harris ( D.R. Zachary Smith )

FlashDrive
26-04-2018, 01:56 PM
Never fear .... Blinky's here :P

Saturn%5
26-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Me and the wife watched all 10 episodes,

Now the wife doesn't normally make any remarks other than That was Good or Bad, But this time she said it is a shame that the Robot didn't Push Will over the Cliff.:shrug:

The robot played by the guy from Alien must be hard up for a $$

Don't get me started on Smith:rofl:

I fear for that Chicken That Don West has, Maybe it will turn into a Running Chicken :P

LewisM
26-04-2018, 03:53 PM
I'll analyse each new character, because they ain't nothin' like the originals (which I loved as a kid).

Smith: (why they didn't let Bill Mumy play him - they did after all give him the cameo as the REAL Smith before "that Woman" stole his ID.). anyway, I just wanted to drown her from the beginning. Awful acting, awful role. Typical of what America has become.

John Robinson: yeah, who? Total secondary nothingness. A Brit actor playing a BADLY accented American. Yawn.

Maureen Robinson: stereotypical neo-woman. The brains of the bunch. HORRIBLE acting (shallow as a half-drained wading pool).

Judy Robinson: a presumably 18 y.o doctor. Yup. And unfortunately a VERY obvious token African-American, sadly.

Penny Robinson: the only watchable one of the lot with not tea-bag acting. I liked her character.

Will Robinson: Like Leave it To Beaver in Space, just with sook issues.

The Robot: I wish he'd killed the whole lot. Story over in one episode. Totally useless figure in the entire series, and then Will makes him jump. Meh. Then he's sucked out into space (I am sure he will be clinging under the Jupiter 2 after the jump)

Major West: more illegal activity glorified. Gone is any form of clean cut America. Again, kinda personifies the USA :P

And the rest...yeah...yawn. Planet being pulled into a black hole....that then recycles...yeah...no.

Actually, the Robot was played by Brian Steele, who has nothing to do with Alien franchise - he was however a Predator.

AndyG
26-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Help me get some perspective here folks...
How bad is it, relative to StarWars Ep1 - Phantom Menace?

No rush, I'll wait.

LewisM
26-04-2018, 03:55 PM
SW Ep1 rates a 1/10

LIS Ep 1 through 10 rate a 0.5/10

AndyG
26-04-2018, 03:59 PM
That's bad. Real bad. I'd prescribe therapy, if I was in a position to prescribe.

My sincere condolences for the brain matter I presume was lost through the ordeal :P

LewisM
26-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Wasn't much to start with, so no...I forget...errr...no...sandwiches.

Kal
26-04-2018, 05:04 PM
There are some good series I have enjoyed on netflix.

If you are a fan of blade runner type sci fi, give 'Altered Carbon' a try. I really enjoyed that, although it is quite adult themed and violent.

LewisM
26-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Altered Carbon was brilliant.

The Expanse too (the new series started last week but not on Netflix till October...unless you have a VPN :D)

Saturn%5
26-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Yes you are right Lewis Predator got my movies mixed.

tlgerdes
26-04-2018, 05:41 PM
You guys are all harsh critics. It mightn't be the best sci-fi on TV, but at least someone is producing sci-fi.

I quite enjoyed it, maybe 5/10.

The best thing about Netflix, they are producing sci-fi. The worst thing about Netflix, it's all over and done in a weekend and I have to wait for 12 months for the next installment.

They have lost the concept of anticipation.

Kal
26-04-2018, 05:47 PM
I just started watching The Expanse, first two episodes. Looks good so far :thumbsup:

brian nordstrom
26-04-2018, 07:28 PM
:eyepop: ' Danger !! ' , Will Robertson .

Brian.

FlashDrive
26-04-2018, 07:34 PM
Hey ... all you blokes .... I bet if you were 5-12 years old ... you'd be all over this ... pestering your parents .... mum can we watch LIS instead of ' Home and Away ' :lol:

Col....:D

LewisM
26-04-2018, 07:37 PM
I highly doubt it Col.

The story line is not even fit for kids, let alone adults. It's purely Americana :lol:

AndyG
26-04-2018, 08:28 PM
That sounds rather serious. Would you suggest it comes with a Government health warning, akin to the likes of excessive drinking or smoking? Is the end result undifferentiated from Traumatic Brain Injury?

Forgive my ignorance. The last "whitefella" TV I saw was Battlestar Galactica remake around 2006. Aside from a few soppy K-drama's with the Missus (only watched for the "Schwing" factor), I've seen no TV since.

alan meehan
26-04-2018, 09:51 PM
come on guys its not that bad ive watched it the mrs a scifi nut liked it ,I have to agree with Trevor too long between the next instalments and we have watched every other sci fy on netflex its what you do when you are retired
AL

casstony
26-04-2018, 10:32 PM
I think you're right Col, it's aimed at a young audience. It's a shame they changed the Dr. Into a dark character rather than the cowardly and campy original Dr. Smith.

dpastern
05-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Oh well, I thoroughly enjoyed the LIS reboot. Is it the best sci-fi on netflix? Nope - The Expanse and Altered Carbon are easily better, but they are for more serious and discerning audiences.

Suzy
06-05-2018, 06:58 PM
I was going to watch it, you guys saved me the pain, thanks!

el_draco
06-05-2018, 07:36 PM
oh yeah! i remember her... :thumbsup::rofl:

dpastern
06-05-2018, 08:35 PM
I really encourage you to give it a shot and see for yourself. It may take 3 or 4 episodes for you to get a feel for the show.

tlgerdes
06-05-2018, 09:10 PM
I second that.

LewisM
07-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Nothing to lose except time...so do try it. You may like it.

I was hoping to, but just found no body or flesh to it. Maybe Season 2 will improve.

dpastern
07-05-2018, 02:10 PM
The original LIS had no body to it either...

LewisM
07-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but it was light-hearted and fulfilled the genre it was aimed to.

The new one is dark, brooding, obtuse, coupled with rancid acting...not sure WHAT genre or sub-genre it fits! Just seems thrown together on a whim IMHO.

dpastern
07-05-2018, 09:25 PM
I didn't think the acting was that bad (it's not super great either I will admit), but it was enjoyable, and I warmed to the characters. As to genre, it fits into the sci-fi/action nicely for me. Wasn't very hard to place either inho.

As I said earlier, it's not the best sci-fi on Netflix, but it isn't nowhere near as bad as some in this thread have made it out to be. OK, I get that you don't like it. That's fine. But, you do not represent everyone! Many people have enjoyed the series.

If I want something really deep, I'll go watch something like predestination.

tlgerdes
08-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Lewis will never find the sort of SciFi he is looking for turning up regularly on Netflix.

Altered Carbon was an exception, but it was an adult's only audience, not a mature family audience.

LIS is something you can sit down and watch as family with your 12+ aged kids and enjoy. That's what I like about it.

dpastern
08-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Altered Carbon is brilliant, and I'm eagerly waiting season 2. But yes, it's adults only.

netflix is pumping out some astonishingly good series imho, stuff that puts the commercial TV channels to SHAME.

As to LIS, I totally agree with you Trever. Yes, it has a few dark moments, but nothing a family can't handle imho. I found it a lot of fun to watch. It may not be everyone's cuppa tea, but at least give it a chance - it may surprise you if you go into it with an open mind.

LewisM
08-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Actually, I do: The Expanse, Altered Carbon, Black Mirror, Star Trek - Discovery, The OA and more.

To me, the LIS rerun was tedious in extremis.

dpastern
08-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Each to their own. I mean, I think Discovery is total crap. Totally dislike it. I still watched it and gave it a chance, despite the negative reviews that I read prior to doing so. I gave it a chance. I'd personally rate LIS as for me, at least, being far more enjoyable than Discovery. I'm yet to watch Black Mirror and I've never heard of The OA.

LewisM
08-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Oh, Star Trek - Discovery is CRAP - total crap, but I liked it more than LIS :) :lol:

dpastern
08-05-2018, 06:37 PM
The opposite here.

LostInSp_ce
09-05-2018, 06:26 AM
I'm not a fan of LIS either. I couldn't even make it to 5 mins in before switching it off. It just looked and felt too artificial. Acting was like a drama class. The sound seemed like it was from a samples pack and everything looked like it was filmed in the same room on the same day, which it probably was. +1 for Altered Carbon, it's definitely worth a watch and is probably one of the best Sci-Fi series on at the moment. Black Mirror is different but great. Lots of star power throughout the series as well, so the acting and production quality is better. I've just started watching The Expanse and so far so good. Another I didn't mind was Continuum but maybe Rachel Nichols had a little to do with that. :P