21-04-2018, 09:29 PM
Never get tired of imaging Eta Carinae

150mm f6 reflector with canon 600D

No stacking no imaging just the raw image without the bells and whistles

ISO 1600 @ 60 secs

Polar aligned to approx 2 arc minutes

Atmos
21-04-2018, 09:39 PM
It is amazing what can be captured in a single 60s exposure, it looks lovely :)

raymo
21-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Here's 90 secs @ISO 1600, but 8", not 6".
raymo

PKay
22-04-2018, 07:07 AM
Nice image Martin :thumbsup:

And an almost better one Raymo :)

xelasnave
22-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Both wonderful images more so because both show that one can enjoy astrophotography with a relatively simple approach.
I suspect many could think you need an enormous investment to enjoy the pleasure (and pain) of astrophotography.
I would like to think these wonderful captures will offer encouragement to many to have a go rather than feel they have to start with dedicated gear and software.
Well done guys and I hope others will be encouraged to have a go.
Alex

Startrek
22-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Thanks So much Alex

My aim over the next 6 months is to squeeze as much out of my little f6 reflector and my wife’s borrowed Canon to capture the best images as I can without succumbing to the world of modern high tech astrophotography image processing.

I know I will eventually will have to jump into the high tech world to create incredible images , but I want to learn all I can about knowing the night sky, seeing conditions,knowing my cameras limitations , testing my patience and having a lot of fun in the process.

I have only been into the hobby 18 months as a late starter but I want to take a step by step approach to learn as much as I can about the basics

Thanks again for the words of encouragement !!

xelasnave
22-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Hi Martin
My imaging scope a decade ago was a six inch and the only reason I have stopped using and purchased the eight inch last year was because it needs an overhaul.
It is a most usable focal length and an entirely managable size.
I really would like to give it an overhaul, re mirror and add a better focuser...the focuser has been upgraded but the instalation was a horror story...I could not get it to sit perfect so finally got it in position with packing and fiber glassed the base..it looks ruff but the approach saw it instaled and what a leap forward.
I put baffling in that scope and painted it sprinkled saw dust and painted it again...I also made a baffled dew tube about two and a half foot long to minimise stray light...the light entering the tube from bright stars worried me...and I believe minimisation of stray light is important enough to make the effort...look at the Hubble Space Telescope. .they use the approach and I guess they had their reasons.
I altered that dew tube and now use it on the wonderful little 80 mm and in Sydney it certainly helps nuetralise the effect of the nearby street light.
Please dont not underestimate the six inch.
Perhaps baffle it and upgrade to a $100? Crawford focuser and of course try a baffled dew tube.
The main area to become obsessive is the mount and to get to know your mount.
Everything, from cars guitars and particularly scopes have a region where they perform well and the key is to refine that area rather than lament about the things it does not do well...even a cheap guitar has a region where it works well and offer a credible delivery.
Folk want bigger.
Take motor bikes few can ride even a 250 mx to its potential but must have a 450.
I was always faster in mx on 250 than 400 s and in my very last competition took second (over 3 motos) on my 250 in the 360 (and above class) on that day on that track my gearing saw me thru the first corner before all the 360 and 400 bikes...and I was only pipped meters from the finish due to fatigue nothing to do with the bike.
So work to get the most out of your six inch and think long and hard before you get another scope.
Alex