PDA

View Full Version here: : Jupiter in good seeing

Mickoid
20-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Well early this morning I captured Jupiter again under much better conditions than last time. I used the same setup, 9mm eyepiece, 2x Barlow through a 1000mm f5 8" Newtonian mounted to an Eq5 with RA motor. I got the polar alignment much closer too as the planet stayed nicely in the frame of the Canon 550d for the duration of this 70 second video grab. Processed the best 70% frames in Pipp ( about 3000), stacked in AutoStakkert, wavelets in Registax and colour adjustments and resize in Photoshop.

gaseous
20-04-2018, 10:46 PM
Great shot! Very impressive.

PKay
21-04-2018, 08:33 AM
You've set the bar high with this one!

I was prompted to have a look down below in Planetary, and you have done better than most.

I'm sure that crew would like to see your work.

Very very good Mick :thumbsup:

Dennis
21-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Some nice detail and texture in that shot - well done.

Cheers

Dennis

Mickoid
21-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Thanks Patrick.

Thanks Peter, I think I've got the best I could out of the setup I've used. The only way I could improve would be better seeing conditions or a longer video grab and learn how to use WinJupos. Of course, a larger aperture scope and CCD camera would be the way to go but I'm happy with what the DSLR has been able to do with this one.

Thanks Dennis, Wavelets in Regis tax is amazing to use and see it extrude all the hidden detail. The resulting Tif file that I use from AutoStakkert looks very bland before Wavelets are applied.

Atmos
21-04-2018, 04:37 PM
You've managed a really nice image with a good budget setup :)

carlstronomy
23-04-2018, 11:53 PM
One of the best Jupiter images I have seen, very impressive indeed.

Mickoid
24-04-2018, 12:15 AM
That's a very generous compliment Carl but I'm afraid there are a lot better than this one. I would accept it may be one of the better shots of Jupiter taken with a DSLR and an 8 inch Newt, it was certainly my best so far. The seeing conditions contributed to much of it's success, though I appreciate your flattering comment just the same.

RickS
24-04-2018, 06:59 PM
Better than any planetary work than I've ever done :) Nice one!

Jeff
03-05-2018, 07:29 PM
Great job!

You're on the right track with WinJUPOS.
It's a very clever program, and lots of fun to use.

Workflow which I found works for me:
1. Capture AVI (using whatever software you fancy)
2. AutoStakkert
- preliminary stacks (to enable creation of WinJUPOS measurement files)
3. WinJUPOS
- set celestial body to Jupiter
- Ephemerides check (my orientation is South on top, Mirror-Inverted)
- prelim measurement files
- de-rotate video streams
4. AutoStakkert
- stack the de-rotated video streams
5. WinJUPOS
- new measurement files
- derotate RGB frames
6. Registax
- Wavelets: Linear / Gaussian
- Sharpen 0.1 / Preview 100
- Denoise .4/.3/.2
7. PixInsight or Photoshop
- gentle unsharp mask
- gentle noise reduction
- tweak colours

Have fun.

Cheers,
Jeff

Dennis
03-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Thanks for your "Recipe" Jeff :thumbsup: - I haven't used WinJupos so the next time I'm out I'll have a go so I can break the 30:30:30 sec RGB barrier!:)

Cheers

Dennis

LostInSp_ce
04-05-2018, 01:00 AM
That's a winner Mick. You'll have to find a nice frame for it.

sil
04-05-2018, 09:52 AM
great shot. nice colour and detail, not overprocessed

Mickoid
04-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Thanks Colin, Rick, Jeff, LostinSp_ce and Sil. It's nice to be able to share a decent planetary shot for a change. A week later I tried Jupiter again but the seeing wasn't as good and the images aren't either. This time I used the modded Canon 550d, a Microsoft LifeCam Studio webcam and my HTC M8 mobile phone ( yes that's right, it wasn't an iPhone! ) which I held up to a 10mm eyepiece to take this afocal shot of the moon.

cometcatcher
06-05-2018, 08:12 PM
The quality of your work is very high. I am in awe.

Mickoid
06-05-2018, 09:26 PM
That's a very generous compliment from someone who produces many wonderful shots for us to admire. Thanks Kevin. :thumbsup: