PDA

View Full Version here: : Position of Pier

Gnat
18-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Would appreciate some advice. I think this is the best position for my pier in the backyard. I have the house in the east, the water tank in the south-east, a carport in the north and a garden in the west. Even though my yard is pretty much hemmed-in, I do have a view to the south. Is this position suitable for alignment? Can you foresee any problems?
Thanks for your time.
Nat

Imme
18-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Looks alright to me!

ZeroID
19-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Hi Gnat, it is very similar to my sky options. I have trees in the east to about 80* but they block some of the CBD glow. North is blocked to about 35* by a small extinct (I hope ) volcano and west by a ridge line and trees to about 40*
BUT... I can see the SCP as you do, so in the course of a year everything has to pass by above me, I just have to be patient.
Looks good to me, go for it.. :thumbsup:

leon
20-04-2018, 07:03 AM
What Brent said is quite right, I too had a sky like that and it was not an issue you just have to wait during the year for objects to come over eventually.
I think everyone, unless they live on the Nullabour would have some obstruction in a particular direction.
Dig your hole Nat and go for it.

Leon

ZeroID
20-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Makes you carefully plan your years imaging\viewing doesn't it Leon ?
Shame you can't plan the clouds as well .. :shrug:

Gnat
20-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll start soon.

Gnat
05-06-2018, 08:18 PM
-Moved the garden beds
-Moved thousands of stones (by hand) and levelled the area.
-Bought and put together the resin shed
-Found the position of the rails and pier
-Began digging the pier hole and slab foundation (after having to repeatedly soak the ground as it is so dry out here)
-Pier plate and adapter sorted
and the base for the shed is nearly built...

Next: Finish digging and get the pad and pier poured or convince myself I can do it.
Getting excited even though there are a million unfinished jobs and my carpentry skills are not that great.

ZeroID
10-06-2018, 11:58 AM
Make sure you get isolation between the pier and the slab. My Ob sits on a slightly elevated platform and the pier comes through from the base without any contact. Lets me move around without transferred vibrations, you'd be surprised how little it takes.
And we need pictures .. now. Always good to see another Ob project go up so we can all have our tuppence's worth with suggestions and ideas. :thumbsup:

Gnat
10-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Thanks for that ZeroID, I was wondering about that. As for photos, I will take some when it all starts to come together.;)

Gnat
24-06-2018, 09:31 PM
I can now work on the observatory in the afternoons again. It is certainly going at a snail's pace. :(

Gnat
01-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Don't look too closely. Everything is still temporary. Will do the final positioning of the rails, finish the pier hole and get the pad and pier concreted in after the holidays.

Gnat
17-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Have cut the shed floor
Found a pier form and have constructed the doors

Next job: Cut the pier plate template and dig the pier hole and lay the concrete.
Getting closer!