PDA

View Full Version here: : Motorised Focusers for FSQs

pmrid
14-04-2018, 02:41 PM
I have a FSQ85 and I know of a couple of others out there (Lewis, I'm thinking about you). Plus there's a good smattering of 106s as well.

My 85 has a FLI DF-2 focuser on it with some customised adapters (Precise Parts) fore and aft and my STF-8300 pulls up the rear. All good except that occasionally my DF-2 seems to want to lie down and have a snooze. Annoying. So I am wondering whether there are any other focusers out there which would do the job without breaking the bank.

Peter

Atmos
14-04-2018, 02:56 PM
A lot of people use a RoboFocus and it seems to work well for them.

AnakChan
14-04-2018, 06:10 PM
I think the Takahashi B-SGR works with the FSQ-85ED too but it's quite pricey. I'm going for an option that unfortunately isn't available outside of Japan but is quite a nifty little unit.

K-Astec in Japan has been occasionally making a few motorized focuser units for the Takahashi's. They're pre-order and make limited quantities. I hope to get mine late May/early June.

http://k-astec.cocolog-nifty.com/main/2018/03/fsq-85ed-2e76.html

These run for approx approx AUD$760.

pmrid
15-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys. I've bought a RoboFocus. Hope it takes the weight. Only other issue will be a bit of focus tube slump since
I won't be able to use the lock nut with the RF. Fingers crossed. Thanks Logan.

P

Atmos
15-04-2018, 09:03 AM
Strongmanmike uses a RoboFocus with his FSQ106 and FLI16803 which is a seriously heavy load.

RobF
15-04-2018, 09:36 AM
I've got a Robofocus on the 106 Peter, and when "energised" it holds the load very well - locking lever is never touched.

LewisM
15-04-2018, 09:42 AM
Pete, call me old fashioned...I still focus with the 5 nose-picking digits I inherited at conception and a high-quality Bahtinov. Furthermore, I am one of these nuts who sits out next to the scope all night, refocusing every 30 minutes, and generally enjoying being outside looking up (have a visual setup concurrent to the imaging). I even have gone so far as to remove any auto-focusers from scopes I have bought. Eh, it's just what I like - all part of the fun IMHO, and automatic anything to me is droll.

I have had several SharpSky Pro units, and only ever fitted one. I recommend them highly. No issue with slip etc. I have been considering purchasing another for my FSQ-85 but so far have refrained.

I have heard good things about these: http://www.optecinc.com/astronomy/catalog/focuslynx/19765.htm

jwoody
15-04-2018, 10:21 AM
I had a Sharpsky pro on my old FSQ85, worked really well.