PDA

View Full Version here: : New EQ6

jcdundon
17-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey guys, i just ordered an eq6 and should be delivered within the next few days, everyone in perth get ready for some cloudy nights.

I currently have an 8inch newtonian that will be on there for the short term, with an ed80 also on the way.

Once i can rustle up the funds there should be a replacement for the 8inch at some stage in the next few months.

PS if any one experienced with this mount, i'd love a few tricks for new players that could be of assistance

Striker
17-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Which model did you get.

Skyscan, Syntrek or standard EQ6

Congrats on your new mount.

ving
17-01-2007, 04:48 PM
do you know how to polar align?

jcdundon
17-01-2007, 05:02 PM
thanks for the quick replies.
I bought the skyscan model,

ving, i do not know how to polar align yet, this is my first go to mount,
I am anticipating a steep learing curve, with some frustrating times ahead

ving
18-01-2007, 09:45 AM
oh joy! :)
I have only just gone from dob to goto too :)
get yourself a compass and bubble level first...

using the compass align the telescope i tink its about 10 degrees (or is it 11) east of south, then using teh bubble level level the mount. I do this without the mounts head on (ie just the tripod). this does me fine for visual. synscans goto at this is fiarly acurate and puts any given object near the center of teh FOV.
if you want it more acurate just drift align from there. I dont bother with this as i am not really into taking DSO pics and near enough is good enough for planet and moon shots :)

jcdundon
18-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info, can't wait to set it up.

I ordered yesterday at around 2:30 pm and it was delivered this morning at 7am. that is excellent delivery time.

Unfortunately i am away for work untill wednesday, so it will be sitting in a box waiting for me when i get home. I get home at about 9pm and i'm sure i will be unpacking at around 1 minute past 9

okiscopey
18-01-2007, 01:51 PM
That's for the beautiful Town of Campbells. If jcdundon is in Tom Price, the magnetic variation there is about 1 degree E. It's 3 deg. W in Perth.

Apart from that, I wouldn't have a clue how to do polar alignment!

ving
18-01-2007, 01:57 PM
i figured tom price was his name and he put it in the wrong spot :P

jcdundon
18-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Yes, Tom price is a location in the pilbara region of WA. I have just moved to perth about a month ago, so should change that. I still work up here 9 days a fortnight and 5 days off are spent down in perth.

The skies are very good up here though as there is next to no light pollution.

Nothing is close to us except for the few mines scattered throughout the region.