PDA

View Full Version here: : Hubble looks back ....

JA
05-04-2018, 02:03 PM
9 Billion light years to see .....

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/hubble-finds-furthest-star-ever-seen-9-billion-light-years-away-20180404-p4z7rn.html

Best
JA

Suzy
08-04-2018, 02:51 PM
The furthest star ever observed at 9 billion light years away, wow....
That was an interesting read, thank you. :)

Eratosthenes
06-05-2018, 08:42 AM
.....but what is this "star" now?

JA
06-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Slightly older than it was then :D:D:D

Best
JA

Eratosthenes
06-05-2018, 09:48 AM
The light took 9 billion years to reach us.

JA
06-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Well I did mention it was 9 billion light years away :D .....

Best
JA

Eratosthenes
06-05-2018, 10:07 AM
but what do you mean by "slightly older than it was then"

JA
06-05-2018, 10:51 AM
It was a joke.... well true in point of fact :D

1. When I started the thread / posted the link it was 5 April 2018 @2:03pm

2. When you posted this morning (6 May 2018) and asked .....

3. I said ....

Well the view of it, as posted, is at least 31 days older (NOW than it was THEN) :D

Best
JA

Eratosthenes
06-05-2018, 10:56 AM
I see

Well done

:D:D:D

Wussell
07-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Hubble has been in orbit for 28 years, and I am still waiting for a decent picture ;)

astroron
07-05-2018, 08:36 PM
The light took 9 billion years from that galaxy to reach us,so in fact that galaxy will be now 9 billion years older today.
When the light of that galaxy left the galaxy the galaxy was probably only 3 billion years old,and if we were able to see it today it probably would not look the same as it did back then.
Cheers:thumbsup:

Eratosthenes
09-05-2018, 10:32 PM
If alpha Centauri exploded today we would still be seeing it as a normal star in the night sky for another 4.3 years even though it has actually turned to dust and gas.

It's a little bit like estmating the actual size of the universe. If the Big Bang occurred 13.4 billion years ago, and there is a speed limit in the universe of "c" how can the size of the universe be over 90 billion light years across?

Eratosthenes
09-05-2018, 10:35 PM
I thought they fixed the Hubble mirror? ( the world's most expensive piece of glass or whatever material it is made from)

astroron
10-05-2018, 07:08 PM
I think that is a tongue in cheek reply,hence the Emoji.

astroron
10-05-2018, 07:10 PM
I think a bit of reading will give you the answers you require.
Google your question. :)

Eratosthenes
11-05-2018, 01:27 PM
If the Universe formed in the Big Band event about 13.4 Billion Years ago, and the Universe has a speed limit equal to the speed of light how can the Size of the Universe be about 94 Billion light years?

astroron
11-05-2018, 07:10 PM
As I said do some reading you can get a more precise explanation than I can give you.
I am sure you're capable of doing that ?

Eratosthenes
19-05-2018, 05:38 PM
......where is the fun in that, when I can directly annoy the good folk of IceInSpace?
:D

xelasnave
20-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Hi Peter
I hope you are well.
The Big Bang Theory has it that it is space that is expanding and the speed limit applies to matter and not space so there is no conflict here.
However read up on the Cosmic egg and how it apparently figured in the discussions of cosmology for twenty years before the Big Bang if you want to wonder about things.
I have been thinking about the theory recently...observation doesn't take us past the observatiin of the background radiation but the theory does.
Although I subscribe to mainstream and accept its rules I like the steady state universe approach which has been rejected.
But within the Big Bang model there is no inconsistency with Special Relativity. The model has no flaws.
Alex

Eratosthenes
22-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Alex The Supreme Being of this fine establishment has surfaced from the chasm of Hades ladies and gentlemen and must surely realise that for a steady state model of the universe to hold matter must appear from nothingness at some non zero rate in order to comply with observation and data humans have amassed thus far

The cosmic egg was cracked, beaten, cooked and served as scrambled egg with toast a very long time ago Alex

OICURMT
22-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Depends on your view of "c"... and your belief that it is constant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light

Eratosthenes
22-05-2018, 09:29 PM
VSL theories mainly propose that ‘c’ had a different value early in the life of the universe. How does that help explain a 94 billion light year diameter universe ? In any case The speed of light in the early universe having a value of 1000c or more does not have any evidence to support it

JA
22-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Within THAT construct ..... given a high enough speed, it is explicable.

Best
JA

OICURMT
23-05-2018, 11:26 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_problem

Neither did Einstein's theory when it was first published...

xelasnave
23-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Supreme being? You are kidding right.
I am the resident mug and crack pot.
I guess that I am trying to demonstrate how I can respect mainstream and its approach then ignore it to then shore up my belief ...now thats reasonable surely.:D

Alex

Eratosthenes
23-05-2018, 10:07 PM
The great Socrates judged those around him by the questions they raised and attempted to answer

xelasnave
24-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Who is this Socrates?
Is he on the High Court?
I dislike the judgement of others as I always seem to be judged harshly and I avoid judging others but making judgement does often cross my mind I suppose because it is a human condition.
I like my responce to most things..."things just are" which avoids the waste of time judging and indulging stress or even anger.
Alex

Eratosthenes
27-05-2018, 02:33 AM
Judging, not in the sense of criticism or moral superiority but rather recognising or appreciating.

xelasnave
27-05-2018, 02:34 PM
It must be hard to undertaken such an assessment of other humans without considering their failings as one would rank them to whatever values followed.
I was always a problem at school asking questions that the rest of the class would laugh at but the teacher would give me that strange look as I he saw the problem as I did.
I was probably classed dangerous because I thought about things a lot.
I now know that one is best not to ask a question unlesss you already know the answer.
Alex

Eratosthenes
29-05-2018, 02:12 AM
The Socratic method of teaching and education revolves around the posing of questions.

In many education systems around the world today, the emphasis seems to be on discipline, following routines, being on time, completing tests, and jumping through various official hoops which creates an atmosphere where certain questions cannot be entertained in the class room environment.

It has even affected the progress of Science and Technology.
Where are the Big ideas today? The Big Dreams? Doing Science freely, and for the sake of it, rather than meeting corporate goals, or improving efficiencies so that more profit can be made. Or designing new weapons, new spy technology etc.

I have professionally experienced it myself and it saps the soul and dampens the spirit. Eventually, being paid to fit into this restrictive neurotic asylum isn't enough to keep one interested.

Astronomy and music are great hobbies for me in that they can counter this state of dull drabness

cheers

xelasnave
29-05-2018, 09:31 PM
So here is a question..do you play any musical instruments?
Alex

Eratosthenes
30-05-2018, 12:30 PM
stringed instruments mainly (and the odd piano and synthesiser)

JA
30-05-2018, 12:47 PM
^26 String Guitar eh..??

Best
JA

Eratosthenes
30-05-2018, 01:40 PM
There's more were those came from, including a sitar with 6 strings (+13 sympathetic) and Mandolin....

......who's counting

xelasnave
30-05-2018, 05:23 PM
So how can you feel jaded in this world when you have access to such wonders...let the world do its science wrong..
In fact I think I have some lyrics for a neat song re the hole science has fallen into.

Please Peter dont let the wisdom of your expeience blind you to the possibility that good may emerge from the corporate mess.
If you think about it tbe corporate approach will produce family fortunes that will have kids playing at home on this project or that just like in the "old" days.

I play guitar and love my three string cigar box guitar ...I would like a sitar more than anything.
Alex

Eratosthenes
31-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Progress in Art and Science are driven from the same place

The sitar has a pumpkin, sometimes more than one. Look at a typical bridge on a sitar. It is large, flat and has a slight curve which produces that twangy ringing sound - like the buzzing noise on a worn out guitar fret. Underneath the main raised fret board and strings are many sympathetic strings which aren't plucked but vibrate as the instrument is played. Very harsh on the finger tips)

xelasnave
31-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Most interesting.
I have never really looked at one.
The bridge and sympathetic string I was ignorant about.
How clever.
My electric does the sympathitic thing all by itself and I get surprised by what I am playing ...wound up it sounds like a room full of guitars.
Check out the three string approach..its something you pick up play for a while get board and never play it again..and you can only do so much but I kept at it and it is not as simple as it looks...E B and E or similar..you need to be creative to get something decent out of it. S cales are not that easy and even scale notes can sound wrong although in key..
Alex

JA
31-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Mandolin eh .... ????

My thoughts went immediately to Nino Rota's Parla Piu Piano from The Godfather ....

Do you do it?

Best
JA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1mqU5RgSL8

Eratosthenes
01-06-2018, 12:57 AM
About 25 years I visited a string of Sam Ash music stores in New York, hoping to buy a Vintage American made Fender or Gibson guitar, but instead bought a mandolin with a pick-up. (worth $940 (US) which was about $1350 (AU) at the time, and over $2,700 if I bought it in Australia - so a pretty good deal).

The reason I bought it was that I found out that standard Mandolin tuning is the reverse of a BASS guitar or the reverse of four strings on a standard guitar. Much easier to learn how to play because you can flip chord structures and melodies etc already known on a normal guitar and play them on a Mandolin - plus when recording music the mandolin can lifts songs, by providing those higher clean notes. Great instrument. (.....and could be carried on as hand luggage:D - one of the first things I tried to play on the Mandolin was the Battle of Evermore)