PDA

View Full Version here: : Discovery of a Galaxy in Cetus void of Dark Matter

glend
29-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Scientist have located a diffuse galaxy in Cetus which is apparently void of dark matter. Story here:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/not-sure-what-to-make-of-it-astronomers-baffled-by-distant-galaxy-void-of-dark-matter/news-story/dc71d4634331aa7d1470bbee9087dcae

Atmos
29-03-2018, 10:48 AM
That’s really interesting Glen.
My theory that I came up with while reading it is that therwbcould have been a multiple galaxy interaction/merger event long in its past. Let’s say 3-4 galaxies merging at once, in cases like this, one of those galaxies can take most of the angular momentum of the entire group and be cast out.

During this period it would undergo intense star formation AND be stripped of most of its gas leaving it with whatever stars it has at that point in time and nothing new. The dark matter would have been left during the merger.

Stonius
29-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Wasn't someone else proposing some sort of a gyroscopic effect where the speed of the rotation creates relativistic mass in addition to the rest mass of the individual galaxies? (At least that's how I understood it).

It would be pretty easy to test then, I guess - the amount of 'dark matter' a galaxy has would then be proportional to the angular momentum of its components.

Markus

Atmos
29-03-2018, 11:30 AM
If something like this was the case then any fast rotating object would be destined to become a blackhole. If it gains mass due to relativistic rotational speeds that would then cause it to rotate even faster; a runaway speed increase.
Millisecond Pulsars wouldn’t exist as they’d all become blackholes.

Jeff
31-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Very interesting Glen! You've initiated some excellent science threads over recent years. I'll be sure have a peek at John Moffat's Scalar-tensor-vector gravity theory, and some of the other gravity theories attempting to better model the behaviour of galaxies and galaxy clusters. Although the maths does look a tad complex for a cursory read.

Hopefully Uncle Albert's theories were just a stepping stone, and our ever improving data will enable some further breakthroughs in the realms of gravity, dark matter, dark energy, and rate of cosmic expansion.

:einstein: