PDA

View Full Version here: : It has it's advantages...

LewisM
23-03-2018, 04:32 PM
...living RIGHT next to a regional airport/airforce base that is.

Been a good week so far - 4 brand-spanking new PC-21's yesterday, along with a Wedgetail and a C-17, to today's arrival of a Polar Air 747 freighter and then the departure of an F/A-18 back to Bill's Ville (aka Williamtown)

The F/A-18 jock held it right down in ground effect till the end of RWY35, then yanked it up into a steep climb (full afterburner), before the typical half-roll right and break onto track to Bill's Ville...show off :)

Not to mention the visiting dignitary aircraft and foreign military tankers (UAE most recent)

AndyG
23-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Love that stuff Lewis,

My old man used to work as a metalbasher in 27Sqn, fixing Caribous, or whatever else limped in. Highlight of those times were the F-15Cs that visited from Kadena AFB in '95.

The nosegear snapped on one during a landing, and it slid down the runway, sucking in a gob full of debris. In it came for an overhaul...

2 days later, a pair of shrink wrapped P&W F100's arrived, and work began. It was beautiful seeing that bird getting open heart surgery every day after school. We had a pile of tours, and had my grubby 15 yr old mitts all over the thing.

Sitting in the corner, 24/7, was a pudgy USAF security woman, complete with M-16, 4 grenades, a cardboard box full of mags, 34cm TV/VCR, and all the videos she could stay awake for. One cool chick...

Sadly, these days, no un-essential staff would be allowed within 50m, under the current political/security climate :( On reflection, I wonder how they let me wander through the base unnattended so often.

As you saw with the F/A-18, the F-15 pilots let rip with shenannigans on their way out :P

leon
23-03-2018, 05:10 PM
I envy you Lewis, I could watch that stuff all day.;)

Where did you say you lived :D

Leon :thumbsup:

LewisM
23-03-2018, 05:18 PM
I forgot to mention the F/A-18's arrival yesterday - he overflew Canberra, then STRAIGHT over our house on a short racecourse circuit entry at 200ft if he was lucky (lucky for me at least - nice up close and loud!).

When I was walking home from dropping the car off at the mechanic (located at the airport, so a short walk home), the daily Qatar B777 came in..I was RIGHT under the threshold for RWY35 at that stage and it was glorious (to be accompanied by the worst thump and dump landing I have ever seen!). I managed to hear and feel the wing tip vortices quite easily.

We live at the old RAAF Fairbairn (in the officers married house). I take the kids for a walk down to RAAF Fairbairn daily. It's quite funny to see all the "Photography prohibited" signs at the fence to the apron etc, yet if you walk another 20 metres, you are back on Canberra Airport land where you can take photos...quite stupid really :)

inline_online
23-03-2018, 05:44 PM
You are so lucky to be able to see that. What a thrill.

I remember when Perth had its first Red Bull Air race and the F/A 18's were doing runs over our house near the river. It was so loud and my kids were super excited.
My son had to give thanks to God (don't ask) at school for something and the other kids were saying stuff like 'I thank God for my mum and dad" etc etc. My legend boy gets up and says "I thank God for Red Bull and F/A 18 pilots" :rofl:

sharpiel
23-03-2018, 06:45 PM
Heading to Scone Sunday for the warbirds air show. Can't wait. Wanna come Lewis?

LewisM
23-03-2018, 08:07 PM
Pilgrimage that I must take Les, but alas, not this Sunday UNLESS I can persuade the wife and kids (but their motivation was Ulladulla or Jervis Bay this weekend before it gets too cold).

DarkArts
23-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Did you see the Spitfire and B25? The Spitfire came back later in the afternoon and flew loops et al. over the lake - fantastic sound from the engine. :thumbsup: