PDA

View Full Version here: : Balancing foibles

LewisM
16-03-2018, 05:36 PM
NOT a complaint about my splendid Vixen SXP mount, BUT...

The thing has 15 bearings and steel shafts. Moving it is both axes manually is as easy as breathing on it. Balancing time...if a fly lands on it, it'll swing. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. It's silkier than a silk worms bum!

Anyway, balancing it is "problematic".If I balance it in Dec (counterweights horizontal, scope level), it is out of balance when top dead centre. Having a finder on it sees it swing to the left until it reaches it's CoG/moment. I don't feel inclined to put a bag of lead shot on the other side to balance that out :lol:.

Any tricks at balancing an extremelly sensitive and smooth mount, or just balance for the usual/traditional RA and Dec positions and ignore the everywhere else out of balance situation? The mount does not seem to care - it still gives me the flatline results I posted the other day irrespective of position.

beren
16-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Same problem, use a home brew weight system like this bloke..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8w77MrpB3o&t=193s

LewisM
16-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Thanks Stewart - gave me some ideas for mine.

Wilso
16-03-2018, 07:42 PM
This was annoying the hell out of me as well,
I'm just an eye baller and use an alt/az mount but going from eyepiece heavy to eyepiece light during observing was a huge weight difference .
Ended up mounting my finder on a micro focusing rail, problem solved for Dec.
You could also try using a rare earth magnet+small counter weight for fine tuning in Dec or Ra.

Camelopardalis
16-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Can’t you put a finder on the other side too? ;)

LewisM
17-03-2018, 09:43 AM
My eyes aren't that far apart.:D

Camelopardalis
17-03-2018, 04:22 PM
:lol: :lol:

Merlin66
17-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Velcro wrist weights??

I have to balance in all three axis to get the spectroscope and all the other accessories to balance well.
1. Balance the RA axis horizontal
2. Balance the Dec axis horizontal
3. Set the dec axis horizontal, and the telescope pointing vertically upwards and balance the OTA so it sits vertically.

Hence the wrist weights.
(I do have some smaller screw attachment weights and an ADM MDS weight bar - don't use them. PM me if interested)