PDA

View Full Version here: : 2nd Attempt DSLR Astro shots

Startrek
16-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Here are a few Lunar shots (3rd Quarter ) taken in Sydney on only my 2nd attempt at DSLR astrophtography with my Canon 600D through my 150mm F6 reflector at prime focus

11th March 6.00am

ISO 800 and 1600

Shutter speeds 1/800 sec, 1/80sec, 1/160sec and 1/640sec

Jpeg images resized < 200KB

2 x Barlow used for close up lunar vista

Still nutting out planetary images with the DSLR

Had some success with Stars and DSO ( need to get down to my holiday house down the south coast - good dark site )

xelasnave
16-03-2018, 11:32 AM
You must be very happy with those captures.
Next try capturing 10 or so plus some dark frames and stack them in registax.
You are on your way...you may have to sell the holiday house to pay for your new hobby...
Good luck.
Alex

PKay
16-03-2018, 11:37 AM
Very impressive Martin.

Well done.

If you had taken your shots at ~4AM rising over the ocean, the crescent moon was bright orange!

Since you come to this area (Sth. Coast NSW), look up 'Big Bit' lookout just north of Benanderah. 360 view and no light pollution.

Saturnine
16-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Don't give away secrets Peter, I have been eyeing off that spot as a possible observing location, as I sometimes go surfing down at North Durras. So combining a few days of surf with a few nights stargazing at Big Bit would be ideal. Maybe get together up there sometime ?
Back to topic.The moon images are very nice, focus looks good, with the terminator in a position that highlights lots of prominent features. Now all you have to do is get images at every possible phase then do them again because the seeing wasn't quite good enough last time or the focus was a little soft etc. etc. add infinitum.
Welcome to the world of imaging, it is great fun ( sometimes )