PDA

View Full Version here: : Running Chicken Ha

Atmos
10-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Hoping to get another few hours on this tonight if it ever cools down enough to start imaging!
This is a 4 panel mosaic of the region. Currently at 380x300s. I've got one corner that is a bit out of focus which I'm going to fix when I get started on the RGB. Far too many mozzies in my backyard to try to deal with it.

It has been imaged at 1.3"/pixel, plan on drizzling eventually but these are displayed at 2"/pixel. The first has been downsized significantly but the second is a 1000x1000 pixel crop at 2"/pixel.

Now I just need some clear skies this new moon!
Also need to try to figure out what's happening with my darks. My 0.5s darks for my flats have an average ADU of 793 but my 300s darks taken moments later have an average of 763 ADU :shrug:

High Res Version (https://www.astrobin.com/full/337020/0/)

strongmanmike
11-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Looking very good Col, lovely Ha processing :thumbsup: I shot 70min on this before dawn myself this morning actually, just so as to not waste the clear and very steady sky :P...how people struggle to see the running chicken in wide shots like this, is beyond me :shrug:...I can't unsee it :lol:

Mike

Atmos
11-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Your FOV is still larger than a four panel for me :P Processing for both of these has been very minimal. It's taken most of the day but I've finally finished drizzling all 464 subs. MacBook Pro has had it's fan screaming at me from across the room :lol:

So my final for the Ha is 464x300s (38.7 hours) and I'm planning on getting some RGB this new moon period. I've got one corner that is still suffering from tilt which shows up quite badly at F/3 but I do plan on fixing that before starting on the RGB. By the time the RGB is added it'll fix all of the star issues.

High Res at 2"/pixel (https://www.astrobin.com/full/337020/0/)

I do also plan on using Mikes GoodLook64 to make a starless version of this. I'm curious as to whether I can:
- Plate solve in PI and save as a FITS
- Open in GoodLook and remove stars and save back as FITS
- Open starless back in PI and use the Gradient Merge Mosaic

As long as PI has done it's thing I should be able to use the registration coordinates for when the stars were there and let GradientMergeMosaic do its thing :P

RickS
12-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Nice work, Colin!

GMM doesn't use plate solve coordinates? Maybe you're planning to use MosaicByCoordinates first? So long as GoodLook preserves the FITS keywords, which I think is likely, you should be good.

JA
12-03-2018, 09:16 AM
I love the crop :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Best
JA

Atmos
12-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Thats the idea Rick, didn't work though :/ GoodLook64 saves it as a 32-bit FITS but doesn't save the WCS data.

Thanks JA :)

RickS
12-03-2018, 11:30 AM
That's a shame but I think there's a potential workaround. Try using PixelMath to copy the updated image data over a copy of the original image.

Alternatively, Mike might fix GoodLook64 if you ask nicely ;)

Cheers,
Rick.

multiweb
12-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Very nice. Heaps of details and good res for a fov that wide. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PKay
12-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Nice one Colin

Know matter how much I look (not just your image), I can never make out the chicken. Maybe upside down?