PDA

View Full Version here: : Where to report a potential new Supernova discovery?

MGTechDVP
10-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Hello All...

Last night during imaging on the last 30 min sub I captured what looks to be a supernova, or an outburst of some sort near Eta Carinae.

The outburst was picked up on the last sub of the night, and no other subs before hand have it on them.

Does anyone have a organization email or URL to report and get verification?

Regards.

MG

astroron
10-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Is there anyone you know that can take a confirmation image
Check this web site out for instructions.
https://www.iau.org/public/themes/discoveries/
Cheers:thumbsup:

MGTechDVP
10-03-2018, 09:19 PM
Thank you.

StuTodd
10-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Can you give a RA and dec so someone on here can maybe get a confirmation image or find the related object?

And don't forget to let us know how you get on!
There are people on here who can obtain confirmation spectra etc...

MGTechDVP
11-03-2018, 02:11 AM
Hi Stu,
Estimated location of the source is 10 45 08 -59 41 17 +/- a few arcsec.

I sent the subs to various astronomy associations and Associate Prof. Jeff Cooke, Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing, Swinburne University of Technology replied... The last email from Jeff was:

"Just to keep you posted, I've requested imaging with GROND (an optical and infrared imager on the 2.2m telescope at ESO in Chile) and it's on the schedule for tonight (there). I've also requested optical imaging with Zadko (1m telescope in WA) given the time of day and its location.

Finally, I've sent it for consideration for spectroscopy with the ESO VLT 8m telescope. I'll let you know how that goes."

MG

strongmanmike
11-03-2018, 02:35 AM
Sheesh, a bit exciting MG :thumbsup:

Mike

MGTechDVP
11-03-2018, 02:59 AM
yeah, just a bit... Even if nothing develops from this, still brought a bit of excitement to today.

leon
11-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Good on you MG, we all hope it proves positive, well done.

Leon

doppler
11-03-2018, 08:47 AM
Hope you got one, apparently it's very rare to catch the first moments of a supernova.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180221131839.htm

MGTechDVP
11-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Thanks Leon... I'm very curious to what it was too...

MGTechDVP
11-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the link.... it was a interesting read, and I did get a response about the continuation of the investigation... posted below, but the words "shock breakout" were mentioned... still a chance that it's something.

This is the last response I received a couple of hours ago...

"Hi Mariusz,

I was informed that PROMPT took imaging of the source and didn't see anything there. GROND will let me know its results sometime soon.

Without your data files in hand, it's hard to be sure, but it does not appear to be a cosmic ray. With a long exposure, you would get many CRs and they would be smaller than the seeing FWHM. Was the image that you sent a stack of multiple images or a single image?

Because the source is not seen now, it might be an internal reflection or ghost of Eta Carinae, some unknown fast transient, or some artifact.

Let me know if you get a chance to image it again and if it appears. Be sure to take multiple exposures and to image with different camera orientations (to minimise reflections in the same spot). It would be great if it was a shock breakout and the event rebrightens.

All the best,

- Jeff"

I am imaging the same area again tonight.... see if anything flares up... but if there is a SN in the near future right next to Eta Carina, than a shock break out is what it was....
I attached the image I sent to the pros, a sub where the light appeared (my last sub for the night) and the sub before.

MGTechDVP
13-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Hello All,

I imaged the area all night between 9pm and 6am in RGB, OIII and SII wavelengths, and unfortunately whatever the point of light was... it is gone.

If it's something that flared up, perhaps it'll flare up again in the future.

Clear skies.
Mariusz

LewisM
13-03-2018, 01:33 PM
I'm thinking it was a very small point meteorite by the sounds of it

MGTechDVP
13-03-2018, 04:50 PM
I doubt it... this was a 30 minute exposure, a meteorite would streak in the frame, and it shows the same tell tale signs of PE as the other stars, so it was lit up for a while, long enough for it to be effected by the PE... this says that it wasn't just a flash like a CR.
As far as ghost/reflection of another star is concerned, if that was the case than other bright stars would most likely have a reflection too...
Mount bounce would replicate this on other stars too....
The I'm left with a shock break out, meaning that a nice should happen soon there, or there's a star being fed on by a denser companion that flared up... either case should be verifiable in time with onservation.

LewisM
13-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Point meteorites don't streak - hence the name point - means they are essentially pointed straight at you.

Tony_
13-03-2018, 10:37 PM
I have seen on a few occasions spontaneous, almost instant, flashes of pinpoint light. I did capture one on an image once - I happened to be imaging that part of the sky and saw the flash. Sure enough, it was on one (only) of the frames. It was probably around magnitude 1-2.
I suspect it was sunlight reflection off either a satellite or a weather balloon or some other high altitude object.
If I hadn't seen it visually, I probably wouldn't have noticed it in the sub.

Regards,
Tony.