PDA

View Full Version here: : Scope on/off EQ mount

iceman
15-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi guys

Just wondering which is the best/preferred method for taking the scope off/putting in on the EQ mount..

The 12" is huge, and while I haven't finished setting it up etc, when I put the scope on the rings and tied the straps to keep it on, I had to move it around a bit to get it balanced.

When I took the scope off, I left the scope in the rings (attached), and undid the dovetail bar and took the scope off that way, so that when I put it back on, I just need to put the dovetail bar back in the centre of the mount, do it up, and it's balanced and ready to go again.

What do you do?

Is that a good or bad idea?

I can tell you it's quite tricky doing it by yourself with such a big, heavy scope - whichever way I do it.

sejanus
15-01-2007, 08:53 AM
yeah thats how i do it.

mind you, i think my scope is a fraction smaller :)

ving
15-01-2007, 09:35 AM
thats teh way i do it too. it makes trasporting it easier. i have been told tho that you shouldnt do it that way and the dovetail and rings ramian attached and you just undo teh rings and take the ota out... cant remember where i heard it tho :)

DaveO
15-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Same here. You need to dismantle the rings anyway to transport, so they might as well stay attached to the scope.

It is bad enough with the 10" - I hate to think of the physical skills required for the 12"! However after a while it seems to become almost second nature.

ballaratdragons
15-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Mike, when I use my 12" on the giant EQ I leave the rings attached to the mount but that is because the mount stays where it is. All I do is lift (grunt, groan) the 12" into the rings.

But as far as packing the mount away too, I don't know. Sorry, I can only relate what I do with the big EQ.

EzyStyles
15-01-2007, 11:10 PM
same issue with me putting my 10" + 80ED guidescope on the mount. It is bloody heavy. Easiest way is keep the tube rings and dovetail bar on. Take the entire thing off so you can use the dovetail bar as a handle.

ballaratdragons
15-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Yep :lol: and it doesn't really get easier

Maybe, but it's still damn heavy :sadeyes:
I can put mine into and out of the mount faster these days, but it's still heavy and awkward!

Apature rules! :thumbsup:
and comes with a crook back :lol:

Astroman
16-01-2007, 05:26 AM
I do the same, keep the rings attached, they make great handles those dovetails, although I am only lifting 10kg of weight :)

iceman
16-01-2007, 05:53 AM
I think I inflamed my lower back moving the mount on Sunday, with the 20+ kilos of counter weights on it :) Or maybe it was when I was juggling the 12" with one hand and unscrewing the dovetail bar screws with the other :)

Went to the chiro last night, hopefully it will get better for Lostock :)

I'll take my 10" to Lostock - both for room in the car and to get used to it with a smaller scope until I'm familiar with the EQ6.

asimov
16-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Lol. Wait till you've tried lifting a full thickness 12.5" F5 Parks OTA. 80 LBS whatever that is in kilo's..to get onto the mount!

No wonder I sold it.:doh:

sheeny
16-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Seems like the full spectrum of methods there Mike! For what it's worth Mike, I'll add what I used to do with my old newt...

I used to take the tube out of the rings, but when assembling, I used to set the dec axis to 90 degrees with the axes locked so the tube will be near enough to level when I put it on the rings. My rings disconnected at the toggles and were hinged the other side so I could fold them out of the way... do your do that or do you have to side the tube in from one end? I don't remember assembling the tube being awkward or difficult at all on my old scope, but the old fella I bought it off was pretty clever and had it well set up. It was just a case of sit it on the "saddles" (the fixed part of the rings), move it one way or the other till it stayed there (:P ;) ) then do the rings up.

I had one ring tadjusted so that it would clamp the tube rigidly, the other ring was slightly looser and both were lined with felt. So once assembled, I would unlock the dec axis and check balance. To adjust balance was just a case of the loosening the tight ring, and work the tube into position and try again.

I don't know if that helps or gives you any idea of possible mods.;)

Al.

gbeal
16-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Mike,
not sure what system you have in respect of the dovetail rail and saddle, but if I gave any advice, it is go the "D" series Losmandy style. Either buy or get made a Losmandy style saddle, and go from there. The rails are about 4" wide, and beefy enough for just about anything.
With my 10" I normally leave the rings on the tube, and carry the complete scope and rings as one piece.
I sometimes have the tube in the dob mount, and when I do I normally have the mount in place, and then attach the rings first, then the tube. This is the easiest method, and given the weight of your 12" this may be the safest method. OK, it is perhaps another trip, but if it helps your back, and the longevity of your scope (means you don't drop it), then so be it.
I also I remove the C/W's from the mount when I carry it. Maybe when I use the rolling pier, then yes, I leave all together, but still I don't roll it with the OTA in place.
Gary

BLiTZWiNG
16-01-2007, 01:10 PM
36.4kg

My old 17" monitor was only 23kg !!

ballaratdragons
16-01-2007, 04:32 PM
The 12" GS OTA weighs 19.5kg, or 43 lbs :thumbsup:

ving
16-01-2007, 04:48 PM
i only have 9kg of ota :)
and less light gathering :(