PDA

View Full Version here: : Takahashi MT-160 Review

Lognic04
26-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Hi all! :hi:
I thought i would put together a review of my telescope, the Takahashi MT-160.

Here it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPbnBbKh5fs&feature=youtu.be
:thanx:
:thumbsup:

bigjoe
26-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Enjoyed your sensible review Logan.

bigjoe.

Lognic04
27-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Thanks Joe! This is my first time doing a review so i hope it's ok :)

LewisM
27-02-2018, 12:13 PM
I'll buy you brand new GSO 6" Newt Logan and trade you for the MT-160. Deal? DEAL!

Kunama
27-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Well done Logan, nice scope, thanks for posting this.

batema
27-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Yes congratulations on a great review. Well done Logan. As soon as it started I thought here is a young kid who is passionate about this hobby. I hope you keep enjoying it and sharing your knowledge on you tube to both kids and adults alike.

Mark.

fsphotography
27-02-2018, 04:11 PM
You gave the MT-160 7/10, i'll give you a 10/10 for a great review.
Very well done.
Frank.

xelasnave
27-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Great effort there Logan.
You should keep the scope because when you are older I suspect no money will buy it.
For example I sold my first good guitar when around your age because I could only see I needed money for something else...and today selling that guitar is one of my few regrets and if I could buy it back I would pay whatever it cost.
My point is your scope is really something one could keep as one of those prized possessions till the end of your days.
And I bet if you do sell it you may recall my words when you look back.
I dont know what you have earmarked the cash for but a smart fella like you will come up with an alternate solution.
What surprises me is that a certain member has not taken it of your hands...I suspect however its only a matter of time that he will present as a buyer.
I mean if you are into the brand your scope is a must have for anyone who loves quality.
Good luck.
And I must say I was extremely impressed with your photos I only hope I can one day do as well as you.
Alex

Lognic04
27-02-2018, 09:02 PM
No thanks :P

Thanks! hopefully you know more about the scope now :)

Thanks Mark, hopefully i can inspire people my age (and any age really) to get more interested in astronomy with these videos :thanx: :)

Thank you very much Frank! :)

Thanks for the very wise advice Alex. You might have convinced me to keep the scope for a while :) You are right, i can always save up instead of selling it which i might regret later.

Yep!
Time after time, offer after offer, each more and more tempting... :scared3:

Waxing_Gibbous
27-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Great review Logan. Very concise. Unfortunately you have been seduced by the Takahashi succubus and are now doomed to a life of penury spending all your cash on extension tubes and adapters.
Well, there are worse ways to go...

Lognic04
28-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Thanks Peter! Unfortunately, yep :D

RickS
28-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Well done, Logan. Perhaps you should ask Tak to give you some free gear in return for reviews. I'm sure they could spare a FSQ130 :lol:

Lognic04
28-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Thanks Rick!

mmm, fsq130 :lol:

Edit: now that i think about it, thats what Astrobackyard has done with William optics

Lognic04
28-02-2018, 10:41 AM
How about trade the MT for an FSQ130. Deal? DEAL!

:P

LewisM
01-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Seeing I have 2 FSQ-130's, I guess I won't miss one. You send the MT-160 first...I PROMISE I'll send you the FSQ...:whistle:

xelasnave
01-03-2018, 04:58 PM
If I were Logan I would not trade it for a FSQ...I mean everyone has a FSQ but man if you have a MT-160 well you have arrived.
Like anyone can have a new Ferrari but some of those old classics will stay in family treasure troves until the end of time...along with their rare MT-160 scope.
I bet if the Queen of England had a scope well it would be a MT-160.

How many were built and sold?
You just dont see them offerred these days because well they are jealously horded with the classic Ferrais.
And now that Logan has come to his senses and no doubt planning a large garage for his scope and classic ferrari any buyer will have lost probably the only opportunity in a life time to join the club of exclusive ownership of such an exceptional instrument.
Maybe a few of us could get together give Logan his money and donate the scope to a museum rather than see it fall into private ownership and disappear into some billionaires treasure trove.
Alex

xelasnave
01-03-2018, 05:30 PM
And clearly in the review Logan has exaggerated the cons to diswade tyre kickers from calling and wasting his time.

Clearly the mass of the scope is a major advantage for imaging as he no doubt realises when he examines the superb images aquired with this exceptional scope. ..there is nothing better than high mass to dampen vibration which is always present in lesser scopes.

And Logan presenting cost as a con shows clearly that he realises this scope is not for anyone who puts price first and quality and performance second.

Very clever to head off that kind of person from wasting his precious time.

And as to accesories similar stratagy particularly when you realise that supurb quality accessories are even avaiable for such a classic scope.

How I wish my scopes had such a robust and accurate approach to the fabrication of their focuser.

This scope of course does not need a unnecessarily complex dual focuser because it works so precisely where as cheaper scopes must resort to lesser methods in an attempt to emulate the precision of this scientific instrument.

The makers saw the folly of adding too much to this scope via trivial piggy back cameras but still provided a solid sensible non flexing auxiliary mount facility that surpasses those who seek to add a plethora of un necessary unproductive items.

The absence of a fan reflects the dedication to purpose the designer demanded with this scope and clearly has left the attaching of an accessory fan to an accessory manufacturer or a owner who can fabricate a removable unit...

Having a permanent built in fan is like putting air conditioning in a ferari...

Because this scope is designed with perfection in mind and the only consideration and if one is happy to image in less than ideal conditions perhaps choose a scope that includes gum boots and an umbrella.

For this is the scope that one takes to those locations where perfection justifies the journey.

The culmination method is the ultimate system not overly complex but designed for owners that like to know that when culminated this scope is exceptionally solid and has none of the issues the owners of cheap less well designed scopes must accept if they insist on putting price before superb quality.

I am surprised Lewis has not tried to actually buy this scope but perhaps its exceptional quality has him thinking that such an exceptionally perfect instrument is perhaps too much scope even for him.
This just isnt any ordinary scope and I cant imagine anyone talking Logan into parting with it...at any price because really this is what we think about when we say priceless...such craftmanship just doesnot exist in this era of compromise.

Alex

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
:rofl:

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Well spoken alex. :thumbsup:

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Again, very well spoken Alex, and i believe you are right, this scope truly is perfection.
All the dissections of my points i completely agree with :thumbsup:

Windston
01-03-2018, 07:22 PM
You dont want extra weight in an imaging setup, its not a major advantage, its a disadvantage. Mounts cant handle more hefty scopes without throwing away subs, unless you have a very large mount. :P

As for the focuser, put on a moonlite, done, not much else to it, and dual speed focusers are a must for imaging as you simply cannot get the precision needed for perfect focus with 1:1.

I dont understand why you were saying that Logan was dishonest in the review, misleading viewers, as he isnt trying to sell the scope to anyone? :shrug:

Oh well, great review Logan, a regular Casey Neistat.

xelasnave
01-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Dan I dont think I said Logan was dishonest in any way at all.
Where did you get that idea?
I will read my post and make any necessary adjustment if I find there is any basis to your allegation.
However I would sincerely appreciate you pointing out where you consider I have suggested such a thing.
I think if you go thru the classifieds you will be able to answer your question about the scope being for sale, indeed I think if you care to read thru the posts in this thread you may also find your answer.
However let me explain.
My post was somewhat in jest but you remind me of the implications of Poes law....
And as to mass minimising vibration I think the laws of physics may be on my side actually but certainly we all like to minimise the weight on a mount but I think maybe the principle I hint at is correct.
But read the classifieds and all in this thread... perhaps my post two back and hopefully you may be better placed to understand where I was coming from.
Alex

LewisM
01-03-2018, 07:58 PM
It's very easy to fit a Takahashi MEF-3 to this focuser, so why replace it with a Moonlite - a BACKWARDS step IMHO after having used both (and still using a Tak focuser with their MEF unit).

An MEF-3 will set you back $310 Aus from Claude - it takes 5 minutes to install.

xelasnave
01-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Lewis you should buy this scope if Logan will sell it to you.

It is something that you will regret passing up ... these dont come along every day and you know it...and it can only appreciate in value...you cant lose.

Thats only if I cant convince him not to sell.

If he does sell he will regret it...he does not probably understand how it gets later in life.

Alex

xelasnave
01-03-2018, 08:16 PM
And absolutely agree to change the focuser to a Moonlite would be crazy with a capital C.

This scope is a valuable collector piece first of all, its quality is a bonus.

Personally I would not touch the original focuser without really thinking about that for a long time.

Alex

LewisM
01-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Put a Moonlite on a GSO, SW etc by any means. On a classic old MT-160? Sacrilege!

It's why I had a heart attack when Logan considered cutting the rear rubber mirror cover plate last week... Take it out by all means, do NOT alter the original. There has been enough damage and alteration to original by the dubious seller in the first place, so it needs no further subjection to b@stardisation.

OK Logan, I'll buy you a 14" GSO to replace it... :)

LewisM
01-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Logan and I have been down this path a few times already Alex... :) I even have a classic old GPD mount sitting here waiting for a classic on top (Hans' FS-78 is getting serious consideration right now)

Logan still has my open offer to restore it for him, including full repaint.

xelasnave
01-03-2018, 08:36 PM
May I ask what you wish to upgrade to?

If you do wish to sell may I suggest another vidio with only positive comment.

Sincerely I think there is no need to look at any feature as being negative.
I was a professional salesman.
That means I was actually trained how to sell...eithically.

Rule one is never sell something to someone unless they want it.

But if they want it present all features as positive as honesty allows.

I think I approached your scope both honestly and with a very positive attitude.

I think aside from being open and honest you need to have a buyer not hindered by doubt...more for them than to make the sale.

Most people need help to do what they really want to do...like Lewis he knows he should take this scope off your hands and I will try and help him make a decision that will be in his best intetest☺

Alex

LewisM
01-03-2018, 08:39 PM
I just love restoring things back to their former and rightful glory, and then use them. Restoration is my hobby and passion. I have Dave's FS-78 dewshield here presently restoring the damage for him (respray finally tomorrow).

I'd love the MT-160, but that is entirely Logan's decision. And, no, I am not swapping it for an FSQ of any size ;)

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Cant mount a 14 inch scope on a CGEM! :shrug:

LewisM
01-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Doesn't weigh much

OK, 10"

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 09:00 PM
I have been considering an f4 scope, or another takahashi.
I have been considering selling for a while now, but your advice has really changed my mind.
What do you mean in your last sentence?

LewisM
01-03-2018, 09:02 PM
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bintel-bt200-f4-imaging-ota/

or

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bintel-bt250-f4-imaging-ota/

xelasnave
01-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Lewis dont destroy the patina☺
Alex

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 09:05 PM
I could sell the scope for about 2x as much on the classifieds...

xelasnave
01-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Well if you decide to sell and Lewis needs help in going ahead I am there for him.
He wants it but might feel he has too many scopes.
I will help him realise that life is too short not to buy everything you fancy.
I will help guide him to stop thinking he does not deserve to have the scope and just do what is right for him and aquire perhaps the best collectable scope out there...
Alex

ab1963
01-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Why would you sell perfection ?? Not into newts myself but would love to own one of these and would spend the cash for a mount to carry it ,

KEEP IT......:thumbsup:

LewisM
01-03-2018, 09:15 PM
My original offer from months ago stands :)

No change, no variation.

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Well, i dont think i am interested in swapping /selling then! :D

xelasnave
01-03-2018, 09:21 PM
And Logan as I think we can learn from many folk around here...you can never have too many scopes.

You are probably familar with the concept of goal setting but let me refine it for you.
Decide what you want.
Set a realist time table and start saving...it does not matter when but if you set a time you can break it down into how much to set aside each week...
Then visualise enjoying your goal.
Put up some photos to help the visualisation.
The more specific you make you goal the better...and in the mean time enjoy what you have.
Your images are impressive so what you have to live with is not too bad.
The dew thing hits most of us in some way...the main reason I backed off was dew because I experienced a very wet period and it was unmanagable really.
But when the weather improved unfortunately I had to go to Sydney each month abd other things got in the way.

And a hint.
Success is seen by most folk as dollars...its not..it is how you enjoy what you have and avoid comparing yourself and your possesions with others.
Plan for the future but enjoy what you have today.
Alex

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 09:26 PM

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 09:35 PM
The esprit? huh?

ab1963
01-03-2018, 09:47 PM
In 2005-ish this scope sold for $1600-$2300 USD and would be worth considerably more now and as replacing it....BUCKLEYS....KEEP IT.....

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 09:52 PM
I'm not planning to sell it, but these scopes actually go for less now (1300-1800 aud)

:shrug:

LewisM
01-03-2018, 09:52 PM
No, the $$$

LewisM
01-03-2018, 09:53 PM
This scope sold for $1500 Aud. As-new ones ex-Japan for $1000 US from Koji Matsumoto.

Lognic04
01-03-2018, 10:17 PM
If I were to sell id much rather wait for the scope to rise in price.

ab1963
01-03-2018, 10:24 PM
The last one i have seen sold on Astromart was $1,700 usd in 2015 to my knowledge ,find me another for sale ? Makes no odds to me but do have a understanding of the buying and selling and worth of astro stuff and know that this one is special ,The build quality is exceptional and probably overbuilt , Stock focuser excellent ,collimate it well once and you will probably never have to do it again and visually behaves like an APO....

Lognic04
02-03-2018, 07:27 AM
After thinking about all this, I would sell the tak only to buy something that will age well eg another tak, not a gso newt that will be forgotten in 5 years.

LewisM
02-03-2018, 07:43 AM
Usually, yes, but sadly Logan's was altered by the seller, and requires a lot of work to fix. It was sold to the seller as-new for $1500 from an IIS member, came out the other end for resale by an infamous dealer a while later (after gathering dust and being kicked, dropped and propped against other scopes in the "showroom"/lounge room and being robbed of valuable parts and after-market bits added on), quite altered and abused for the same price.

LewisM
02-03-2018, 07:43 AM
Very wise

Lognic04
02-03-2018, 07:46 AM
Too bad tak fracs are so expensive! :P
Selling the mt would pay for 1/10th of an fsq!

Lognic04
02-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Or, a whole fs-60! :P

LewisM
02-03-2018, 08:31 AM
Half way to a Mewlon 180...

https://www.astronomy-electronics-centre.com.au/prices_tak.htm

But for imaging, a Mewlon is not ideal.

Why not consider an Esprit 100 or 120? REALLY first class optics, and I think they are the first Chinese scope that holds their value.

Lognic04
02-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Yeah.

From your opinions on the scope in previous posts, i wouldn't be rushing to buy one... :shrug:

xelasnave
02-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Think of a worthy project.
A time lapse of a suitable globular or something similar to the Crab nebular.

I would say $30,000 of scope, mount and camera maybe $40,000.

Then seek croud funding and if you do a video in support I bet you could pull it off.

Else...think of big amount in terms of savings required per week over say, I personally like five years, and start saving that very week.

No cash flow.

Think of ways.

When only six years old I would collect newspaper to sell to the butcher, horse hair and cow hair (from tails and main) and sell that to the saddle maker.

Since I have had leg problems I need labour for the simplest of things from lawn mowing to changing light bulbs.

There is a huge market providing labour to folk like me who cant do what they once did.

And something probably up your alley and something you cant imagine folk needing is computer help.

So I need to set up email...as many old folk will have to do even having resisted for ages...who do they call...one says to another...I know a nice young trustworthy man who does that..Logan.

You have on your side a great personality and an honest face...an honest face is a greatly underestimated asset as are so many of our personal qualities we take for granted.

Keep your word and you stand out so simple..be on time..so simple yet most fail here...if running late call and advise...manners and respect.

I bet you could build an enterprise around shopping for people.

Anyways if you go the croud funding path I say even now I will contribute something...it may not be much but Logan you are a impressive young man and you will find there are so many folk who will want to help you.

Consider the world as seen by most folk ... they look at the youth and they feel there is no hope ...and then along comes Logan who offers hope that there is hope for our youth.

Maybe sell prints of your photos door to door because remember so many sales are made because the purchaser wants to help the salesperson.

I would go to Bintel to help Micheal.

When in real estate I experienced that frequently ...so many folk would call me about other agents adds so I could get part of the commision on the sale.

I presented as decent caring and honest and folk really want to help that sort of person.

You are that sort of person.

Good luck.
Alex

LewisM
02-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Optically...superb.

Mechanics need attention, but not awful as is. The 100 up dispense with that silly foot, so half the battle over. With work you can make the stock focuser really fine for imaging (backlash in the reduction gear is the main source of antagonism).

The Sharpstar 100Q is a good option. Buy direct from Sharpstar and save a good chunk over the local stealer (same problem child you got the 160 from) even after duty/gst.

Lognic04
02-03-2018, 09:10 AM
Wow. So much great advice in one post :)

Honestly, having an nice refractor and mount etc would be great, but really, I am happy with what i have now! What more could i want! After all i do have a perfect scope :) Not so perfect camera or mount, but the images are still enough to make me happy, and thats all that matters isnt it?
:)

LewisM
02-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Zen!

Glad you came to that conclusion, and as I have said before to you and your Dad, I will gladly restore the scope gratis if ever you feel compelled.

xelasnave
02-03-2018, 10:08 AM
I am happy to hear you are happy with all you have.
Please try and think of what you would call my advice as encouragement.

The best advice will always come from your parents.

Maybe think going narrow band if you want the next step.

Add a removable fan to your scope.
Blue print your mount.
Good luck.
Alex

xelasnave
02-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Logan I dont know if your camera is modded but if not that may be something to consider.
Alex

ab1963
02-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Oh Dear what a shame and know whom you mean.....:mad2:

Lognic04
02-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Actually i will be picking up an 8" f4 from someone who doesnt want it anymore, so i will be testing that for a bit, but i will still keep the MT regardless of if i end up using the 8 inch more or not :thumbsup:

Lognic04
02-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Well, i have been thinking about the asi1600 as a dream camera for a long time now...a saving goal maybe?

xelasnave
02-03-2018, 05:35 PM
$60 a week for a year.

alex

Lognic04
02-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Thats quite a bit to make in a week!

xelasnave
02-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Two lawns mowed.
Three lawns mowed.
Alex

xelasnave
02-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Years ago I helped a chap set up a lawn mowing business after six months of developing a client base he sold half the business for $3000-00.

You could ask if real estate agents do letter box drops and ask for work there.

A salesman in the office I eventually purchased developed a letter box drop business for most of Sydney after three years he (and his two partners) sold half that business for $1,500,000.
Open a thread in general chat seeking suggestions how to earn some cash...

House cleaning pays well.
Check out what someone charges and you will get a shock.

But your education comes first so make sure if you chase casual work you dont interfere with that.

Alex

sharpiel
02-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Forum gold! Like a not so cryptic crossword. :D

brian nordstrom
03-03-2018, 12:55 AM
:question: Tak or no ? Get over :thanx:
Never looked through a sweet C 9.25 ? or a 22 inch Newt ? like this bad boy ?: from a dark NT site ?

There is way more to Astronomy than Takahashi .

Brian.

brian nordstrom
03-03-2018, 01:16 AM
;)And please don't judge me , here is a shot of one of my Takahashi's but you guy's :shrug: if it aint TAK don't look back :lol:.

Young fella , what do you do for money ? I will ask this .... you look to young too own a 4k Takahashi .

Brian.

brian nordstrom
03-03-2018, 01:24 AM
:shrug:Is it really yours ?

Brian

brian nordstrom
03-03-2018, 02:04 AM
I need to ask this .

Worked very hard for these Tak's ,young man
Brian.:question:

brian nordstrom
03-03-2018, 02:12 AM
:question: Lewis personally bagged this telescope ,,, true as , a **** Tak .

Brian

brian nordstrom
03-03-2018, 02:16 AM

phomer
03-03-2018, 07:43 AM
Logan,

An excellent review of the Tak scope; your videos are inspiring!

Regards

Paul

Lognic04
03-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Not exactly sure what you are trying to say brian? :question:

Thanks! :D

xelasnave
03-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Logan you should be out mowing lawns.
Alex

Lognic04
03-03-2018, 06:38 PM
I wish...no one around here that needs lawn mowing though! :sadeyes:

LewisM
03-03-2018, 08:19 PM
I think Brian was on the turps, as I too am clueless as to what he meant (especially the "you sure it's yours". Huh?)

I bagged someothing - I got the FS-60 from you Brian not the Mewlon :) Oh, and I got the Sky90, in a circuitous manner...

You'll be back to Tak Brian..you know you will...the Tak is strong in you...

sharpiel
03-03-2018, 09:38 PM
Had to laugh at this as I read your posts Brian and reflected on many drunken posts in my youth...

LewisM
03-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Um, your Honour, I swear I have NEVER, EVER written posts drunk. Ever. No sir.

[hiccup]

Lognic04
04-03-2018, 09:11 AM
ahh makes more sense now :D

Lognic04
05-03-2018, 07:25 AM
:(Update: picked up the 8 inch f4, it didn't come with tube rings so that's 5 weeks of saving :(

LewisM
05-03-2018, 08:08 AM
What's the tube diameter Logan? I have a good source for cheap rings (but high quality)

Lognic04
05-03-2018, 09:51 AM
That would be good lewis, i will measure it tonight.

Lognic04
05-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Lewis it is 235mm.

brian nordstrom
05-03-2018, 09:18 PM
:lol: Yep we are only human ,,, We make mistakes , not like Lewis who is better than most :question:.

Brian.

Lognic04
17-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Alex, i ended up taking your advice, and with some help from parents and a friend here it is: https://www.gofundme.com/help-logan-take-better-astrophotos
:)