PDA

View Full Version here: : Cone and Fox fur nebulae

SimmoW
26-02-2018, 01:45 PM
This one doesn't seem that popular down here? No idea why, it's gorgeous!

As mentioned in my Markarian comments, I'm a bit worried about both noise and coma with this Sony and 10 inch setup. I was personally very happy with the image and my new way of combining Ha RGB, but when you pixeleyes (!!) You definitely see best noise and coma around the edges. AND I already cropped the worst out!

2hrs of 5min colour and 2hrs of 6nm Ha 5mins

https://www.astrobin.com/335146/?nc=user

Mike S, I'm doing the cardboard edge cover for my primary tonight and painting the OTA interior. Let's hope things get even more contrasty!

strongmanmike
26-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Looks great Simon, well done, such a beautiful area this one, up there with the belt and sword of Orion, Rho Oph and Vela SNR I recon :thumbsup: As to why we don't image it more often down here, good question, probably only because of its size and declination, parts of it barely reach 40deg above the Northern horizon for most of us, so we tend to over look it, including me. :shrug:

Mike

Ryderscope
26-02-2018, 03:41 PM
You are right Simon, it is a gorgeous area of the sky. Thanks for posting.

RickS
26-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Good work, Simon. There's no stopping you now that you have dark skies :)

Paul Haese
26-02-2018, 06:55 PM
I like the colour and the composition. With regard to the noise and star shapes, I think you have to consider more data will eliminate a huge amount of the noise. 3.8 hours is not a lot and considering what you have produced from that you probably only need to double the exposure to get a great results. The out of shape stars is most likely corrector tilted or just a spacing issue. Persistence will eliminate most of that.

LewisM
26-02-2018, 09:15 PM
That new dark home of yours is doing you well Simon!

I like it a lot.

SimmoW
26-02-2018, 10:14 PM
Thanks everyone! Yes I feel very lucky, to live every day under these beautiful skies and I've definitely fallen in love with the region. We will be opening a b&b within 6 months I hope, I'll enjoy showing folks our night beauties!

Paul, I really hope you are right. And thanks for the compliment, i worked hard on the colour and blending of ha.

I will also need to thoroughly investigate any tilt. Might be able to zoom in during live view and do a bit of rotating to see if tilt can be fixed. If so, does anyone know of a good quick way to analyse? Does PI have any tools? I'll start googling.

Placidus
27-02-2018, 05:58 PM
The colours in the stars of the Christmas Tree are especially beautiful.