PDA

View Full Version here: : Ngc 2467 - wip

codemonkey
11-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Forgive me for this, but I feel compelled to share. It was on the 29th of June that I ordered my new scope and the 2nd of July when I ordered my Mach 1. Since then I've replaced every bit of gear except my filters and filter wheel. I've had a non-stop stream of issues that almost had me questioning my choice of hobby.

This past friday night I finally got things working. This is only 3.4hrs of data but for me it's a significant 3.4hrs of data. I hope to add to it soon, but am waiting on this heatwave to pass first. Data is LRGB.

I'm now imaging at 0.5"/px which is pretty challenging, even for a Mach 1. I'm still learning the ropes with the mount and think I can get more out of it than I have so far. Haven't even used APPM yet. Closer to the horizon (~45deg) I started to get a reasonable amount of throw-aways, but at the meridian I was getting the sharpest broadband subs I've seen -- as low as 1.4" in green.

Edit: Link to full resolution in staging on astrobin (https://www.astrobin.com/full/333251/0/?nc=user)

Slawomir
11-02-2018, 05:30 PM
The image looks great to me - well done Lee.

Really glad to hear your persevered in spite of a stream of issues. It has been ages since I put together an image, for different reasons than yours, but nonetheless I think I understand how you feel.

Keep them coming Lee :thumbsup:

RickS
11-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Looks like a promising start, Lee!

Atmos
11-02-2018, 05:44 PM
For 3.4 hours it’s looking pretty good at the moment Lee! Hopefully all of the issues have been worked out and you can just get to imaging without having to incessantly fiddle.

Paul Haese
11-02-2018, 09:17 PM
Great colour and nice looking detail.

strongmanmike
11-02-2018, 11:16 PM
Well Lee, it doesn't seem to be in your AB gallery yet for a good look at a big file but from the image displayed on IIS it looks really good, the stars and overall colour and look of the image are very pleasing, well done :thumbsup:

Mike

topheart
12-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Hi Lee,
I think you chose the correct hobby!
Well done!
Cheers,
Tim

codemonkey
Thanks Suavi! Looking forward to seeing you get back into it as well.

Cheers Rick :-)

Thanks Colin, I hope so too!

Thanks Paul

Cheers Mike :-) I hadn't uploaded it to AB since it's still a WIP (well, hopefully). To be honest haven't done as good a job as I probably could with regard to processing, I'll save that for when I'm done with capture.

That said, I've uploaded the full-sized image into my staging area which can be found here (https://www.astrobin.com/full/333251/0/?nc=user)

codemonkey
Thanks Tim! :-)

strongmanmike
12-02-2018, 01:06 PM
That's better, I think the processing is really quite excellent :thumbsup:

Mike

atalas
12-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Lee,that's a really nice shot....bit dark on my monitor(everything is anyway)but the detail and colour looks great :thumbsup:

Stevec35
12-02-2018, 08:07 PM
I think that looks great for a work in progress Lee! Not sure what you could add to make it any better than it already is. The colour looks good and the composition is very effective too.

Cheers

Steve

codemonkey
13-02-2018, 06:49 PM
Thanks Mike, appreciate it :-)

Thanks Louie :-) Could well be right. I processed this on a new Macbook pro with wide gamut screen, but I haven't calibrated it as I've not yet got a USB 2 -> USB C adapter to use my Spyder. That said, I think the mac screens are usually reasonably well calibrated out of the factory.

Thanks Steve! I didn't spend as much time processing this as I would were I done with capture; could probably do a better job of decon and noise reduction, and I'm sure many others could pull much more faint stuff out than I did here.

Placidus
13-02-2018, 07:52 PM
That's delicious. The star colours in LRGB are beautiful.

Delighted to hear that you are back up and running.

Camelopardalis
13-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Nice one Lee :thumbsup: glad to see you're winning the battle with that newt!

cometcatcher
14-02-2018, 07:15 AM
I've always struggled with this one. Your image is quite beautiful!

markas
14-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Very nice image, Lee. It's not a particularly easy target!

Mark

gregbradley
14-02-2018, 03:28 PM
I agree a very nice image well processed Lee.

Greg.

RobC
14-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Great image Lee . Well framed and processed. Expect to see lots more from you now with all the new gear you have purchased.

Cheers

Rob

alan meehan
14-02-2018, 09:53 PM
good one Lee glad to hear you are getting things moving again nice shot too

codemonkey
15-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Thanks Mike! I tend to prefer narrowband, but you're right, RGB star colours are hard to beat.

Thanks Dunk :-) The 178 is doing pretty well too. Banding is inconsistent but it doesn't seem to matter as long as it's dithered and the exposures are long enough, apparently. This is only 24 L subs and I couldn't see any banding at all in the master.

Thanks Kevin! :)

Thanks Mark! It could definitely do with some more data for the fainter nebulosity.

Thanks Greg :-)

Thanks Rob :-) Hope so! If only the weather would comply...

Thanks Alan, me too!