PDA

View Full Version here: : EOS 600D Camera Gain for Pixinsight

Trekrider
10-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Can anyone tell me what the 'Camera Gain' (in electrons/ADU) for a Canon EOS 600D is please?

When I use the 'Subframe Selector' Script in Pixinsight it asks for the 'Subframe Scale' and 'Camera Gain' - I've calculated that the Subframe Scale is 0.5458 arcseconds per pixel for my RC8 but I can't find the gain.

Thanks,

Barry

OzEclipse
10-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Hi Barry,

I see you only have 33 posts. Welcome to the forum.

Gain varies roughly linearly with ISO. Although this relationship can break down when some manufacturers switch from amplifier gain to digital gain at certain point on their ISO range.

You didn't specify the ISO so nobody can answer your question.

I think I've read that all Canon sensors have the same characteristics regardless of model, age etc. Makes you wonder what their R&D dept are doing??

The consensus is that all models have a gain of -
~1 at ISO 800,
therefore
2 at 400,
4 at 200,
8 at 100
0.5 at 1600
0.25 at 3200
0.125 at 6400

etc.

But this is all just based on my recollection of hearsay.

Most of this type of stuff is posted somewhere on line. Before posting a question, it's always worth just using a search engine and search for it yourself. I'll bet someone somewhere has measured and posted the gain data for your camera.

The IIS community resource though helpful is much smaller that the world wide web and you are going to be waiting and hoping someone here has the info you need when you can probably easily find it yourself.

Cheers

Joe

Trekrider
10-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the welcome, yes, I am a relative noobie to the group.

I hadn't thought about ISO but that does make sense. I typically shoot as ISO 800 as I understand that's the optimum setting for the 600D, so 1 it is.

I did do a lot of searching before posting this question but in this case Google wasn't my friend as I couldn't find a single reference to amplifier gain even on the Canon specification websites.

Regards,

Barry

OzEclipse
10-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Barry

You won't find that sort of data on Canon web sites or specs. You'll find it on astrophotography blogs or forum discussions.

I searched on Google with the search terms "CANON 600D SENSOR GAIN ADU"

This is the top result :

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/526808-canon-600d-testing-results/

It has some measurement data of the type you want.

Joe

Trekrider
10-02-2018, 11:47 PM
Wow, thanks for that Joe, I was obviously using the wrong search criteria - I was using the word amplifier rather than sensor.

Yes, just what I needed and confirmed your memory as it being approximately 1 at ISO 800.

Regards,

Barry