PDA

View Full Version here: : Potter Wasp Or Hornet

floyd_2
03-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Hi guys,
I just had the wasp in the photos take far too much interest in my wife and me. They're usually curious, but keep their distance so we put up with each other. Unfortunately for this one, he was flying within about 30cm of us and kept wheeling around and coming back in from behind. It didn't look like it was going to end well for one of us, so I was forced to kill it. My young girls were only meters away so this little guy forced my hand. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here could identify this fellow for me. I'm thinking potter wasp, but it looks a little hornety too! He's about 3cm long, and they're only ever around in summer. They're not usually aggressive like this guy was, which is why I tend to leave them alone unless I'm cornered. Anyway, I'm interested to know what sort of wasp it is if anyone might know.

Wavytone
03-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Potter wasp female - matches the pic bottom of this page

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/Animals+of+Queensland/Insects/Wasps+and+bees/Common+species/Mud+Dauber+and+Potter+wasps#.WnUnZW J_WaM

floyd_2
03-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Perfect match - thanks for that. I was surprised when this one was getting edgy with us as they usually keep their distance. It may have been the colour we were wearing in retrospect.