PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ6 Dec Worm Gear Damage

cyberblitz
03-02-2018, 12:59 PM
Should i replace this DEC worm gear assembly??

https://flic.kr/p/23YcZ4U

Not sure how else to show pictures on here!!

I had huge problems with trying to mesh the worm gears together, spending almost 2-3 hours at it. I also found the smaller worm gear nut had loosened. Eventually decided to dismantle the mount and found this damage. I don't think the damage was causing issues because I was hearing binding noises much more frequently, every 1 sec or so.

My mount is belt driven, the set sold by Rowan Astronomy. So i'm no stranger taking this beast apart, and for a time it worked well until i started hearing vibrations and the DEC increased its backlash enormously, hence the attempt to mesh them back together. But i think i damaged the DEC worm gear doing so. Should i replace the gear and if so where could i get one from??

Shiraz
03-02-2018, 03:54 PM
FWIW, that doesn't look like the standard brass gear, but I guess that doesn't really matter to you. The damage could be an issue if it extends down onto the gear surface - looks like it might.

Probably worth replacing both worm and gear if the mount was giving you trouble. Shouldn't cost a whole lot. Could try Tasco Australia as a first step - recall in a previous thread that Lee quoted about $40 from them for the gear. TeleskopExpress in Europe also advertises worms and gears if Tasco can't help.

cyberblitz
03-02-2018, 04:17 PM
I do hope its a standard brass gear! I bought the mount new. I'll try your suggestions, thanks.

bigjoe
03-02-2018, 04:22 PM
www.deepspaceproducts.com/Replacement-Parts_8_4245.html

Is another good place besides TS IN Germany.

bigjoe .

cyberblitz
03-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Thanks. Could not find anything on the DeepSpaceProducts website or TASCO and TS in Germany is way expensive; almost $200 without shipping costs...

Shiraz
03-02-2018, 04:45 PM
You will have to ask Tasco directly (email might be best) - AFAIK they don't have a list of spares on line. Going through a dealer might help if you get no joy.

bigjoe
03-02-2018, 05:40 PM

You could also ask Don Whiteman at Bintel for advice..theres not much that he doesn't know about these mounts.

bigjoe.

Tony_
04-02-2018, 10:11 PM
There is also a company in US that make worms/gears for mounts.
"Aeroquest Machining" - but I will guess it won't be cheap.
You could take it to a local machinist that does gears - they can probably clean it up for you and it might still work? Shouldn't cost much.

Tony.