PDA

View Full Version here: : Star Stuff II - Byron Bay with Fraser Cain, Amy Shira Teitel & Geoff Notkin!

dylan_odonnell
25-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been so busy I forgot to post the lineup announcement here. Forgive me! My excuse was I was visiting the Celestron factory in Torrence, Los Angeles - which was AMAZING. More on that later.

Here is the official media release.. more details on www.starstuff.com.au (http://www.starstuff.com.au) :)

-----------------------
MEDIA RELEASE – “Star Stuff II” Astronomy Festival Returns to Byron Bay in 2018

After the sell-out success of the inaugural “Star Stuff – Festival of the Cosmos” last year, organiser Dylan O’Donnell has confirmed the space and science themed weekend will be returning to Byron Bay in 2018. Presented by Celestron, Bintel, The European Space Agency, Cosmos Magazine & Sidereal Trading, Star Stuff II invites three renowned international guests – Fraser Cain, publisher of Universe Today, space historian Amy Shira Teitel of the “Vintage Space” YouTube channel, and Geoff Notkin – star and expert of the popular TV series “Meteorite Men”.

The two-day weekend in July 2018 at the Elements of Byron resort features solar and nighttime astronomy if the weather allows, but is otherwise a showcase of back-to-back keynote talks from space and astronomy experts. Dr Alan Duffy (Swinburne / ABC) will be presenting along with Dr David Malin (AAO) , Dr Cathal O’Connell (Cosmos Magazine), comet discover Terry Lovejoy, John Sarkissian (CSIRO), Greg Quicke aka “Space Gandalf”, Gilmour Space Technologies and local astronomer Dylan O’Donnell.

Fraser Cain of Universe Today is coming to Byron Bay from Canada which is particularly compelling for anyone who watches the night sky. “For as long as I’ve been an amateur astronomer, I’ve wanted to see the southern skies.” Cain said. “The Magellanic Clouds, the Omega Cluster. Alpha Centauri! You’ve got all the best stuff. I’m really looking forward to sharing this view of the night sky with my Southern Hemisphere friends.”

Dr Alan Duffy, who attended the first Star Stuff also expressed enthusiasm for the event. “Star Stuff was the best Australian astronomy event I’ve been to and I can’t wait to come back to see it bigger and better in 2018. Australia is on the verge of getting its own space agency making Star Stuff II even more timely as we can discuss the direction the nation takes in exploring the final frontier.”

Astronomy equipment and suppliers will also be exhibiting at the venue which will be open to the general public, but ticket holders will also be treated to giveaways, a movie screening, a luxury VIP dinner, the Fraser Cain keynote speech and potentially win a Celestron Evolution 6 complete telescope package.

Star Stuff is a privately funded event and was conceived as “smart entertainment” for inspiring interest in astronomy, space and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths) fields generally. Last year Star Stuff proceeds helped fund a small observatory for Wiley Park Girls School in western Sydney. Although only the second year, Star Stuff is already considered one of the larger amateur astronomy events in Australia.

For Byron Bay however, an event like this runs the risk of being mistaken for something more alternative, like astrology. Mixing up the two, O’Donnell says, is a huge faux pas. “Never call an astronomer an astrologer. That would be like calling a doctor a shaman, or a chemist an alchemist. Those ancient practices may be superficially related to the same subject matter as their modern counterparts but the difference is one of them works, and the other doesn’t.”

It probably doesn’t help that there is a UFO on the promotional poster.

For more information visit www.starstuff.com.au

astroron
25-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Dumbing down science again.:(
Do they really need to put a flying saucer on the
poster to advertise science:sadeyes:

Malcolm
25-01-2018, 07:03 PM
I want to believe......lol. :-)
A 10/10 event. My only regret is I forgot to put boot polish on my eyepiece when Dr. Karl was looking at Jupiter through my telescope. :-D

xelasnave
25-01-2018, 07:37 PM
UFO??? I Thought it was my field flattener...it certainly looks like one.
Alex

that_guy
26-01-2018, 11:09 AM
I'll hopefully be there with the rest of the SAS crew :)

gaseous
26-01-2018, 09:59 PM
Do people usually book accommodation at the resort as well, or are there other places nearby? Unless Chris Hemsworth lets me doss on his floor....

jenchris
27-01-2018, 12:45 AM
Lots of caravan and tent accommodation.
Last year I stayed in a little motel for a very modest fee.

JimsShed
27-01-2018, 11:43 AM
I stayed at the resort last year, and am doing the same this year because it’s really nice. Plenty of other accommodation around though if you book early enough. Venue is easy to drive to and from and it has ample car parking.

Windston
28-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Amy from Vintage Space is coming!? Count me in!

bigjoe
28-01-2018, 04:50 PM
It does Indeed Alex..looks like someone lost their temper and threw it into a low orbit.;)
bigjoe

dylan_odonnell
29-01-2018, 12:47 AM
Yeh she's great isn't she? :)

A UFO might be an artistic pop/culture sci-fi reference but it's not entirely irrelevant when our national radio telescope is currently being funded by an overseas billionaire looking for aliens.

Just saying!

d

PS.. I highly recommend checking out the local Byron Bay artist Fulton Hobb's other visionary digital artworks which are stunning composite works also. http://www.fultonhobbsdesigns.com

Science needn't be elitist or exclusionary for the general public.

harwayharry
29-01-2018, 07:22 AM
Is night viewing over two nights and, if so, Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun?

Scopes set up on-site or bring our own?

harwayharry
29-01-2018, 07:28 AM
I like the old Dictionary of Astronomy definitions for being concise and accurate.

Astrology: Rubbish

Rubbish: see Astrology

dylan_odonnell
29-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Because of the low-impact local environment plan requirements for the resort, it's effectively a very low light site in general. You could deep sky image from beside your cabin. So any resort guests are welcome to bring their own equipment along.

The observing component runs until midnight Saturday and Sunday night and SAS volunteers provide a number of scopes to use visually up on the lookout/rise on the field.

Guests are guided up to this area in groups and the various fields / oceanside and other local features are also great for nightscape / milky way photography.

I hope this helps!

Dylan.

astroron
29-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Quote)
A UFO might be an artistic pop/culture sci-fi reference but it's not entirely irrelevant when our national radio telescope is currently being funded by an overseas billionaire looking for aliens.

Like politicians it seems they will take money from anyone. ;)
Cheers:thumbsup:

harwayharry
30-01-2018, 09:38 AM
Thanks Dylan - got the message.

The_bluester
30-01-2018, 01:18 PM
I am sorted for a leave pass. Just working out if I am going to be on my own or have someone with me.

gaseous
31-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Tickets and accommodation booked - so excited!

The_bluester
02-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Accommodation and two tickets booked.

Now I have until July to work out who is coming with me!

dylan_odonnell
08-03-2018, 01:02 AM
Just an update to Star Stuff II, Byron Bay .. all the planning is going well and we're cooking with gas!

I'll attach a new poster below sans UFO and with Juno, but still fantastic and by the same artist.

Also here is a video message from Fraser Cain. For this month only use coupon code FRASERSENTME for 5% off your ticket orders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fzKCFMt_8

We're also running a t-shirt design competition if you'd like to have a stab at free tickets .. or a refund on tickets you already have. See www.starstuff.com.au for details.

Don't forget we're giving away a complete Celestron 6 Evolution :)

Haven't been on the forums much lately because I started an Astronomy degree with Swinburne. So far so good! ��

Clear Skies!

d

shahgazer
11-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Hi all,

Looking forward for the event. Flying down from Kuala Lumpur. 👍🏼

johnnyt123
01-04-2018, 11:08 AM
this looks like an amazing event and one I would certainly like to attend.
I am just like to make aquantence with anyone who might be attending as this will be a trip I will have to make in my own.
I am based in Sydney.

Happy Easter to everyone.

John.

The_bluester
03-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Hi John, there will be a few IIS'ers I am sure, but even without that it was a really friendly crowd last year.

spacezebra
03-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Hi Dylan. Which course are you doing?

Cheers Petra