PDA

View Full Version here: : Opinions. Best SCT Package for EAA

Rez
22-01-2018, 06:57 PM
I'm not entirely new, however thought I'd ask the question here.

Looking at an SCT for EEA.

Currently thinking of the Celestron Telescope Advanced VX 8 EdgeHD or the Celestron Advanced VX 8 SCT Telescope.

I'm not too sure about the VX 8 mounts. Any opinions on those?

I guess the advantage of the Edge HD over the standard SCT is the ability to remove the secondary mirror for f2.

Any thoughts or other ideas appreciated.

bigjoe
22-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Should have no probs getting a few minutes guided with the AVX with a good polar align, maybe much more with a good drift align or use Sharpcap..30secs unguided ..no probs...never used it past 5min in city.

Problem is with too much weight; this mount is rated for 14kg, so for AP prob 9kg all up max...with cameras ,scope etc ...Does great go tos .

You can buy a polar scope for it ..I bought mine from TS.
Even better alignment stars with Skysafari plus or pro and WiFi.

PS: Bintel sell their standard 8 SCT with FASTAR..for F2 imaging...but edge has flatter field at edges at F 10.
AVX also very stable visually at high powers and tracks beautifully...at least mine does.

bigjoe.

Rez
22-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Have you used the autoguide port? Does the VX work well with a guide corrections or am I better off with a HEQ6?

bigjoe
22-01-2018, 08:42 PM
Hi Rez ..have never used the autoguide port on AVX.

IF you plan on long images get an EQ6..though you can stack short images of less than 5 mins these days even 30 secs, with a good camera and get great results on an AVX...as others have done.

Though its better to start imaging with a small ED refractor for weight reasons, and its hard to track at long f ratios ..though thats where the FASTAR F2 comes into its own...but adds to the expense..see Starizona website.

You can do great planetary and small DSO imaging too with a 5x Barlow or better Powermate and cheap Zwo camera...dont need long exposures..maybe short video and use registax.

How far do you want to go with the SCT 8 and Fastar...you only need to stack very short exposures anyhow in DSS.
Good forum here on EAA.
https://www.cloudynights.com/forum/73-eaa-observation-and-equipment/
bigjoe.

Rez
22-01-2018, 08:56 PM
I'm in a low light pollution area and am mostly interested in EAA at the moment. I was looking at getting the ZWO ASI 290MC for DSO imaging and some planetary.

There's a good thread on Cloudy Nights about entry level EEA and they're using a 6" SCT. Because I want to also use the scope for visual observation getting a refractor probably isn't going to be much use to me.

I'm now also considering a 925 on a CGX mount just to add other thoughts to the equation.

Edit. Also considering ASI1600MC Pro camera.

bigjoe
22-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Probably the best SCT ive ever owned the C9.25..great on everything and very few lemons ever... needs some time to cool..some use those re-usable ice packs from Bunnings etc ...cools in under 45 mins that way, no heat plumes coming of the baffle to degrade image etc .

Check collimation periodically though.

The Zwo Asi1600 MC and mono are coverted by many .

The C9 with an CGX and Zwo is a formidable combo to begin with...if you can afford it ..go for it

Get the Fastar one from Bintel say, for greater flexibility as its very hard to image long exposures at the native focal length of F10...They will help you as they have a real expert there in Don.

bigjoe.

ChrisV
22-01-2018, 11:11 PM
Pop over to
http://astrovideoforum.proboards.com
Totally dedicated to eaa. Also there's a section for EAA on cloudynights.
If you want to use an sct for EAA then you will need massive focal reduction to get it down to F4ish. But having said that a lot of EAAERS on cloudynights do that. But then you can only use a small sensor.
You don't need guiding for EAA. If you have the $$
I don't reckon you can go past a hyperstar.

I use an 8"F5 newt and a fast 80mm refractor for EAA. Don't want long exposures. One of the current monthly targets on CN is M42 in under 1sec!